Entry level workstation laptop (No gaming) in max 75k

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Try this "Everything" tool, you will probably never use windows search again.
*www.voidtools.com/
Sir, that's why I disabled indexing in the first place lol.

I am a heavy everything user fan, and I thought why is the indexing even on? I already disabled it in my main pc:lol:.

Hope disabling indexing doesn't fack up my everything install, though AFAI can tell, it can't.

But I require windows apps like onenote to be indexed in the win+S search , as no software seem to able to search for it, not even launchy can launch them(it technically can but it's too complicated). Will windows apps be still be indexed in the search bar(windows key +S) when indexing is disabled?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sir, that's why I disabled indexing in the first place lol.

I am a heavy everything user fan, and I thought why is the indexing even on? I already disabled it in my main pc:lol:.

Hope disabling indexing doesn't fack up my everything install, though AFAI can tell, it can't.

But I require windows apps like onenote to be indexed in the win+S search , as no software seem to able to search for it, not even launchy can launch them(it technically can but it's too complicated). Will windows apps be still be indexed in the search bar(windows key +S) when indexing is disabled?
Good to know :)

Indexing just means windows search performs faster. On a ssd I don't think app search without indexing & with indexing will have any noticeable difference.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh......

Yeah, everything has been a life saver more then once, I even tried to learn it's syntax, but it's finicky and I just use the syntax now for basic things.
Using syntax is especially helpful if running via command line. I am trying to make it work within the file explorer I use(found it much better than windows explorer on win 8 after I set it up to my liking) to show me results limited to currently active folder in that file explorer but till now no success.

Btw you changed your username. :)

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
I received the laptop yesterday. A few points that I think need mention (in no particular order)

Model: HP Omen 15 en0001ax 2020
AMD Ryzen R5 4600H, Nvidia GTX 1650Ti GPU with 4GB Graphics dedicated memory, 8GB RAM in one slot, the other one is empty, 15.6-inch 1080p display, 512GB SSD.
  1. Parts used:
    1. SSD: WDC PC SN730 SDBPNTY-512G-1006
    2. RAM: Samsung M471A1K43DB1-CWE
    3. Screen: AU Optronics B156HW02 (Panellook says it's TN, not IPS)
  2. Build Quality:
    1. The lid does flex with very little force. The screen is plastic, as has been mentioned all over the internet, and thus shouldn't be an issue.
    2. Only the Keyboard deck (So, palm rest, the area around ports, hinge part on the deck side is metal. The back grill is plastic, the bottom cover is plastic, the whole of the lid is plastic, but the look and feel premium expect when you put some pressure and it goes down.
    3. The lid doesn't wobble that much (As far as I noticed). Some videos on youtube show too much wobble in the lid.
    4. Hinge seems pretty tight. I was able to have the lid stay at 1 inch (say less than 10 degrees over the keyboard.
  3. Keyboard:
    1. The keyboard layout is a bit tough getting used to. I'm typing this on an external keyboard. I kind of expected this, but it's a point worth mentioning nonetheless
    2. The keyboard backlight is pretty bright, and cannot be adjusted.
    3. The keyboard keys are okay. They aren't Thinkpad level for sure (I like them the best). They don't have a definite click to them, which I do like, but that's subjective. They feel a bit soft for me. For any kind of typing, I'm going to use an external keyboard for sure.
  4. Screen:
    1. The screen seems pretty fine for me. Its an IPS Panel. The exact panel model number is mentioned above.
    2. I don't have a measurement instrument to measure how are the color accuracy and brightness.
    3. Colors do not seem to change between different angles. Though, if there is external light, the screen brightness can be adjusted for better viewing across wider angles.
    4. Brightness is enough for me. I currently have it at less than 50 percent and it's comfortable to use. Keeping it at max, it's plenty bright.
    5. I don't see why everyone was fussing about the screen brightness. FPS limit(60) might be a concern for gaming, but brightness, color accuracies do not seem to be a concern here, Both are fine.
  5. Trackpad:
    1. It's a no-button, plastic, matte finish trackpad. Feels like very fine grit sandpaper (I like it). The texture is very similar to the top of the lid.
    2. Not sure if it has windows precision drivers (I'll check and update this), but all windows gestures are working.
  6. Ports:
    1. The ports are very tight. I don't know if this is a case with new laptops or metal deck laptops and if it'll loosen up with time, or if this is just ports manufactured to tighter tolerances.
  7. Speakers:
    1. Okay. I wasn't expecting much. The sound quality is good though. The volume is on the lower side. I'll check with drivers from the HP website later.
  8. Software / Bloatware:
    1. The laptop comes loaded with 90 percent bloatware, 10 percent usable stuff (from my perspective)
    2. Installed Software I found:
      1. Energy Star
      2. HP Audio Switch
      3. HP Connection Optimizer
      4. HP Documentation
      5. HP jumpStarts
      6. HP PC Diagnostics Windows
      7. HP Privacy Settings
      8. HP Smart
      9. HP Support Assistant
      10. HP System Event Utility
      11. Omen Audio Control
      12. Omen Command Center
      13. All <New windows> bloatware
      14. NVIDIA GeForce Experience
      15. NVIDIA PhysX System Software
      16. AMD Ryzen Master SDK
      17. Express VPN
      18. Dropbopx Promotion
      19. AMD Radeon Settings Lite
      20. NVIDIA Graphics Driver
      21. NVIDIA Control Panel
      22. McAfee Personal Security
      23. McAfee LiveSafe
  9. Performance
    1. Omen command center does not have Performance mode, it only has 'Default' and 'Comfort' as of now. I'm currently checking if it supports performance mode. I'm also confused if the lack of performance mode will stop me from using the CPU from its full capabilities.
    2. Cinebench R15 on Battery: OpenGL: 52.8fps(runs: 1), CPU: 1028cb(runs: 1)
    3. Cinebench R15 on Wall power: OpenGL: 88.36fps(runs: 1), CPU: 1401 to 1444 (runs: 6, 3 with max fan, 3 with auto fan). Fan profiles do not seem to affect Cinebench scores.
Please let me know if I should check any other things. I'll be doing a screen test (*lcdtech.info/en/tests/dead.pixel.htm) tonight.
I'm going to do stuff from this video:

I remember seeing a post somewhere on the forum about a list of HP apps installed so that I can make sure all are gone :D. I want to ask if I should actually remove all, or should I keep some (say, Omen CC, Support assistant, etc)
I'm also very concerned about the Omen CC not showing an option for performance mode.
I read a post on HP forums about it:

*h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/no-performance-mode/m-p/7192745#M20007

It says that performance mode isn't available for models with 150W chargers. This is bugging me a lot.

Last edited:

Æsoteric Positron

Using syntax is especially helpful if running via command line. I am trying to make it work within the file explorer I use(found it much better than windows explorer on win 8 after I set it up to my liking) to show me results limited to currently active folder in that file explorer but till now no success.
I didn't knew everything could even be used using command line! Which explorer you use? Is it not possible to set a context menu for "everything" just like in file explorer?

Btw you changed your username. :)
Yeah, lol. I found my earlier username to be too elitist, it has been use in years and years in all kinds of social networks etc and I don't think I wanna take responsiblity for my younger self ;). This one is the amalgamation of esoteric and positron including provisions to maintain the initials.

Btw. I also created a website Æsoteric Positron's website (review would be really appreciated lol), for in adding in here, but try as I may, I just cannot add the website as a link in my signature :(

Last edited:

Æsoteric Positron

FPS limit(60)
Wdym, fps limit? It can be removed from NVIDIA experience IIRC. Just try to disable battery boost
Ports:
  1. The ports are very tight. I don't know if this is a case with new laptops or metal deck laptops and if it'll loosen up with time, or if this is just ports manufactured to tighter tolerances.
Its same for mine laptop, maybe its just a lappy thing.
    1. The laptop comes loaded with 90 percent bloatware, 10 percent usable stuff (from my perspective)
Ur perspective is correct imo ;)
I remember seeing a post somewhere on the forum about a list of HP apps installed so that I can make sure all are gone :D. I want to ask if I should actually remove all, or should I keep some (say, Omen CC, Support assistant, etc)
I didn't uninstalled everything. I just disabled some and uninstalled the crappy ones like McAFee, energy star, office 365(I use online, provided one wasn't even activated) etc. Most here suggested to clean install, and it may very well be the better option if you wanna invest the time , effort and potential risk in it. But at the EOD it comes down to personal preference. The option of "performance" in omen cc didn't exist for me too, but maybe its cause mine is pavilion with omen cc preinstalled

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't knew everything could even be used using command line! Which explorer you use? Is it not possible to set a context menu for "everything" just like in file explorer?
1599297266600.png

*www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir

Set it up to my liking like above with colour specific file types & folders. Only thing it is missing is no integrated search(it links to windows inbuilt search) but that is also solved by everything(which I also changed to dark theme using colour codes in its ini).
1599297561321.png

Using Notepad++ for replacing white background windows notepad & again with dark theme using custom colour codes.
1599298116914.png

Even changed windows photo viewer colour :grin:
1599297958735.png

I can add everything to right click context menu in this explorer too but I don't prefer adding entries to right-click context menu unless really required.

Æsoteric Positron

The screen only supports upto 60fps.
About the software, yes I'll start removing now :D
Oh, u mean 60 hz? The software I have currently installed is this
16.59.05-HP CoolSense.png

Along with omen cc and
17.02.01-Entry level workstation laptop (No gaming) in max 75k _ Page 4 _ Digit Technolog.png
I had installed proper amd drivers and when the system again forced installed older drivers, I rolled back into these. Now this is turned into a phantom. I mean it cannot be uninstalled no matter what I do, and when I click on it nothing happens.

Among all these I do not know whether uninstalling HP system event utility would be ok. I dunno what it does and what is its purpose.

Æsoteric Positron

View attachment 19498

*www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir

Set it up to my liking like above with colour specific file types & folders. Only thing it is missing is no integrated search(it links to windows inbuilt search) but that is also solved by everything(which I also changed to dark theme using colour codes in its ini).
View attachment 19499

Using Notepad++ for replacing white background windows notepad & again with dark theme using custom colour codes.
View attachment 19503

Even changed windows photo viewer colour :grin:

View attachment 19502

I can add everything to right click context menu in this explorer too but I don't prefer adding entries to right-click context menu unless really required.
Wew you really seem to be on the dark side ;-).
download.png

The photo viewer isn't supported tho, I assumed U regedited it ? I use irfanview instead.

I tried using Q-dir once but the ui didn't sit well with me.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wew you really seem to be on the dark side ;-).
View attachment 19506

The photo viewer isn't supported tho, I assumed U regedited it ? I use irfanview instead.

I tried using Q-dir once but the ui didn't sit well with me.
Yeah I used regedit way. I also have image glass viewer but many times I use windows photo viewer too so changed its colour.

I tried many file explorers & initially I also didn't liked the Q-dir default 4 pane style but I found out that you can change it to the default windows explorer style 1 pane. I also tried explorer++ which is quite good but it does not have a dark mode/colour customization. I don't like the usual 2 pane style of most file explorers & prefer the usual 1 pane windows explorer. Which explorer do you use btw?

Æsoteric Positron

Yeah I used regedit way. I also have image glass viewer but many times I use windows photo viewer too so changed its colour.
Yeah, I too use image glass viewer sometime, but its loading times are slower than irfanview , and sometimes irfanview comes in handy when a quick cut/crop in photo is needed.

I tried many file explorers & initially I also didn't liked the Q-dir default 4 pane style but I found out that you can change it to the default windows explorer style 1 pane. I also tried explorer++ which is quite good but it does not have a dark mode/colour customization. I don't like the usual 2 pane style of most file explorers & prefer the usual 1 pane windows explorer.
I do not mind the 4 pane style too much , though I too prefer single pane file explorer. The thing that bugged me was the rigid and 2003 style ui of these managers.

Which explorer do you use btw?
I too tried out many different explorers but after windows 10 , I founded the default explorer to be good enough, with the only major feature lacking was the inclusion of tab functionality.
So, yeah. Default explorer cuts it for me.

But one thing that's definitely better than built in solution is greenshot, for me. Using it taking ss has became much easier, with the good organisation of ss(syntax to do it is very ezy) being a major selling point for me.

Æsoteric Positron

H8 to break it to you @123hero and other here , but TUFs are back in stock Buy ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Laptop 15.6" FHD AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 Graphics (16GB RAM/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Bonfire Black/2.30 Kg), FA506IH-BQ180T Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in :flamethrower::lol:

123hero

In the zone
H8 to break it to you @123hero and other here , but TUFs are back in stock Buy ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Laptop 15.6" FHD AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 Graphics (16GB RAM/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Bonfire Black/2.30 Kg), FA506IH-BQ180T Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in :flamethrower::lol:
I have no worries - since I got it is 61K

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
H8 to break it to you @123hero and other here , but TUFs are back in stock Buy ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Laptop 15.6" FHD AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 Graphics (16GB RAM/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Bonfire Black/2.30 Kg), FA506IH-BQ180T Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in :flamethrower:
Saw that man. Even after using HP omen for about two days now, (not even using, just little bit of setup). I still open up amazon and see lenovo ideapad and others, watch videos of legion.

Still confused.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom