Entry level workstation laptop (No gaming) in max 75k

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
IMHO, taxation does not legally mandate the OEM to provide warranty services.

I studied Retail Management in detail during my graduation, I have first hand knowledge of how inefficient the offline markets are . The "conditions" stipulated by the govt are simply designed to prevent the entry of the online retailers, because the offline retailers have a significant lobbying power with the Govt. Some conditions like 30% local sourcing sound good on paper, but when you get into the integrities, you realise that its just not feasible for companies. The mere fact that many offline retailers - not just related to tech, are able to match prices that are available online, reveals how high the markups are.

In case of electronics equipment where the products and users have a steep learning curve, the situation is worsened. However things will gradually improve. In the early parts of the decade, the situation was similar, with people having comparatively lesser knowledge about mobile phones, though it has greatly improved by now. My father who is not that tech savvy now understands that phones with 2GB RAM wont work decently these days. Unfortunately, if I had not reached out on Digit forum, i would have still ended up buying some crappy and overpriced shit. We would need to wait for some more time for the markets to mature and customers to get educated.
Oh, interesting to hear opinion of someone who has studied this field in higher education.

Unfortunately, if I had not reached out on Digit forum, i would have still ended up buying some crappy and overpriced shit.
True for me too. I always make sure I ask someone from the digit community before buying something, be it asking agent001, digit form or digit TG group. Saves me a hellalot of headache.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The shopkeeper did speak to someone very senior at HP, and boy, they "magically" managed to fix everything in just 2 days. The shopkeeper made sure that everything was working fine and also managed to get the warranty extended for 1 year as a compensation.
Those were good old days, nowadays it is rare to find such shopkeepers. Majority of offline shopkeepers you will find nowadays are likely to be similar to one @abhitruechamp mentioned.

123hero

In the zone
Those were good old days, nowadays it is rare to find such shopkeepers. Majority of offline shopkeepers you will find nowadays are likely to be similar to one @abhitruechamp mentioned.

The guys nowadays are just interested to rip off unknowing customers. Not want to reiterate the entire rant again though.

But generally, shopkeepers are more attentive and do help customers in case they run into troubles.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The guys nowadays are just interested to rip off unknowing customers. Not want to reiterate the entire rant again though.

But generally, shopkeepers are more attentive and do help customers in case they run into troubles.
Maybe in smaller cities, never seen such helpful shopkeepers in metro cities especially big showrooms.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Sorry guys, I got busy, had a deadline today noon. My old laptop worked okay till a few hours back when it (finally?) died completely. Needless to say, I need to buy within a few days now.

3 options which are currently available:
1. Buy HP Omen 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/512GB SSD/Windows 10/NVIDIA GTX 1650ti 4GB/Shadow Black/2.36 kg), 15-en0001AX Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in
2. HP Pavilion Gaming 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/512GB SSD/Windows 10/144Hz/NVIDIA GTX 1650ti 4GB/Shadow Black), 15-ec1051AX
3. Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 AMD Ryzen 5 15.6" IPS Full HD Laptop (8GB/256GB SSD + 1TB HDD/GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4GB Graphics/Windows10/MS Office/Onyx Black), 82EY0078IN

I see pavilion has just two USB A ports, which is less for a gaming laptop, but not a deal breaker. Lenovo has ports at the correct places. and Omen has at ports, but at all the wrong places. Also, I read the posts above, and it got me scared ab out buying a laptop. But that's not practical. :D

A couple more doubts:
D1. I will have to put in 8GB more of memory. since none of the laptops have a 16 GB variant available.
How to do that? I'm concerned about latency mismatches, instability, and all those things. I'm hoping that I would be able to keep the included 8GB stick and add a new one, instead of buying a 16GB kit and having to find usage of the included 8GB stick

D2. Does the omen have a HDD bay (since it has a smaller 52 WHr battery. HP website doesn't mention.

I have an HP Pavilion Gaming with R5 4600H + 4GB 1650 + 1 TB HDD. I will be installing SSD in a couple of days time and that should definitely put to rest the slot sharing issue.

How did it go?
I need to ask a few more questions. How are the viewing angles (the way you see it, forget the IPS tag :D)
What is the memory configuration. Is there an additional slot? heating issues apart from the numpad area getting hot. Any thermal throttling?

How are boot speeds, performance benchmarks after the upgrade(cinebenchR15?)

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I got busy, had a deadline today noon. My old laptop worked okay till a few hours back when it (finally?) died completely. Needless to say, I need to buy within a few days now.

1. Buy HP Omen 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/512GB SSD/Windows 10/NVIDIA GTX 1650ti 4GB/Shadow Black/2.36 kg), 15-en0001AX Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in
2. HP Pavilion Gaming 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/512GB SSD/Windows 10/144Hz/NVIDIA GTX 1650ti 4GB/Shadow Black), 15-ec1051AX
3. Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 AMD Ryzen 5 15.6" IPS Full HD Laptop (8GB/256GB SSD + 1TB HDD/GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4GB Graphics/Windows10/MS Office/Onyx Black), 82EY0078IN

I see pavilion has just two USB A ports, which is less for a gaming laptop, but not a deal breaker. Lenovo has ports at the correct places. and Omen has at ports, but at all the wrong places. Also, I read the posts above, and it got me scared ab out buying a laptop. But that's not practical. :D

A couple more doubts:
D1. I will have to put in 8GB more of memory. since none of the laptops have a 16 GB variant available.
How to do that? I'm concerned about latency mismatches, instability, and all those things. I'm hoping that I would be able to keep the included 8GB stick and add a new one, instead of buying a 16GB kit and having to find usage of the included 8GB stick

D2. Does the omen have a HDD bay (since it has a smaller 52 WHr battery. HP website doesn't mention.

How did it go?
I need to ask a few more questions. How are the viewing angles (the way you see it, forget the IPS tag :D)
What is the memory configuration. Is there an additional slot? heating issues apart from the numpad area getting hot. Any thermal throttling?

Omen has the best build & thermals for the price point. HP Pavilion has a 144Hz (good for gaming, but you are looking for a workstation) & Lenovo provides the cheapest option with the highest storage capacity. All 3 of them likely have the low quality 60-70% sRGB displays.

1. Any DDR4 3200MHz laptop RAM stick will work, not many options in Indian market though. Most are 2400 or 2666MHz. I have never encountered RAM sticks never working together, it is a very rare issue, but does happen. I have seen 2x RAMs with diff frequencies working together at freq of lower one.
Amazon.in: Buy ADATA 8GB DDR4 modules for notebooks 3200MHZ Laptop Memory (AD4S320038G22-RGN) Online at Low Prices in India | A-DATA Reviews & Ratings

2. Check any review, you will see lack of a 2.5" drive bay. It has just 2x M.2 slot, 1 slot will be populated by 512GB SSD.

If you want to save money, Lenovo will suffice your needs.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Omen has the best build & thermals for the price point. HP Pavilion has a 144Hz (good for gaming, but you are looking for a workstation) & Lenovo provides the cheapest option with the highest storage capacity. All 3 of them likely have the low quality 60-70% sRGB displays.

1. Any DDR4 3200MHz laptop RAM stick will work, not many options in Indian market though. Most are 2400 or 2666MHz. I have never encountered RAM sticks never working together, it is a very rare issue, but does happen. I have seen 2x RAMs with diff frequencies working together at freq of lower one.
Amazon.in: Buy ADATA 8GB DDR4 modules for notebooks 3200MHZ Laptop Memory (AD4S320038G22-RGN) Online at Low Prices in India | A-DATA Reviews & Ratings

2. Check any review, you will see lack of a 2.5" drive bay. It has just 2x M.2 slot, 1 slot will be populated by 512GB SSD.

If you want to save money, Lenovo will suffice your needs.

Do you think there are large trade-offs with going with lenovo?
Some can be Build quality, thermals. Anything else? After sale service of HP is better than lenovo or at par?

I'm gearing towards omen. Right now, I've kind of made up my mind about the lack of number keys. And port placement can be worked around.

Lack of HDD bay is holding me off. 512 gigs is fine for most programs That I want to keep installed along with workspaces, libraries, etc.

Btw, I was looking at this very ram, and one more by kingston(which is higher priced at 6k)

Which leaves music . I guess I'll have to do with that?
Maybe buy some cheap ssd if someone makes a not so performance oriented ssd for cheap.
Anyone here bought the omen?
I see two people have bought pavilion.
I'm hoping they'll post reviews. @abhitruechamp @123hero

I had lenovo G510. It had it's own peculiarities. It's own mood of operations. . Build wasn't great. Keyboard was awesome.

Anyways, do you guys recommend local shops or online?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

123hero

In the zone
I see pavilion has just two USB A ports, which is less for a gaming laptop, but not a deal breaker. Lenovo has ports at the correct places. and Omen has at ports, but at all the wrong places. Also, I read the posts above, and it got me scared ab out buying a laptop. But that's not practical.

The Lenovo one seems to be a recent launch, but its slightly bulkier than the HP Pavilion ones. If money is tight, I would recommend to go ahead with the Lenovo one since it is the least expensive at 70K at the moment. Thermals on the same would be better than the ASUS TUF models but slightly less effective than the Pavilion. OMEN has the best thermals amongst the currently available R5 4600H models.

2 USB A ports should be more than sufficient in most of the cases (1 port for the mouse and 1 for a Pen Drive / any other device).

What I have found is that, in most laptops that have adjacent positioned USB ports - its difficult to connect 2 Pen Drives side by side. Not a big issue that cannot be fixed by using an extension cable. (Personal experience, could be different for other users + depends also on the PEN DRIVE / device being used)

How did it go?

Performing just as expected. No worries or hassles or disappointments viewed as of now, except for slight niggles like- left speaker is slightly louder than the right speaker, slow HDD (I knew the on board HDD was slow so cant complain), some bloatware software like McAfee / VPN service which I promptly uninstalled.

Viewing angles are decent and the screen is excellent, considering that I was using a 1366 x 786 resolution TN panel before. Screen preferance is subjective, what I like could be very different from what you would want in a screen. I recommend visiting an HP showroom / offline retailer and have a look at any of the OMEN or the HP Pavilion Gaming laptops on sale - doesnt matter which processor since almost all of them have the same 60Hz 250 nits screen, 60-70% sRGB coverage screen. You could also make an enquiry if they are willing to match the online price for the laptops.

The laptop I purchased has only a 1 TB 5400RPM SATA HDD storage out of the box since it was base variant. I got it for 61K on amazon. I have ordered a 512GB SSD to be used as boot drive, it is currently under transit and should reach me by Monday. I will update by 4th / 5th Sep since I am usually busy during the weekdays + this is my first time cloning a HDD onto a SSD, so I could end up taking some more time.

I dont expect a significant jump in the CineBench scores. I slightly PC Mark would be a slightly better option to test the scores.

Total cost : Laptop: INR 61000 + SSD 512GB : INR 5500 = INR 66500 for a config of R5 4600H + 512GB SSD + 1 TB HDD + 4GB GTX 1650)

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
The Lenovo one seems to be a recent launch, but its slightly bulkier than the HP Pavilion ones. If money is tight, I would recommend to go ahead with the Lenovo one since it is the least expensive at 70K at the moment. Thermals on the same would be better than the ASUS TUF models but slightly less effective than the Pavilion. OMEN has the best thermals amongst the currently available R5 4600H models.

2 USB A ports should be more than sufficient in most of the cases (1 port for the mouse and 1 for a Pen Drive / any other device).

What I have found is that, in most laptops that have adjacent positioned USB ports - its difficult to connect 2 Pen Drives side by side. Not a big issue that cannot be fixed by using an extension cable. (Personal experience, could be different for other users + depends also on the PEN DRIVE / device being used)

Performing just as expected. No worries or hassles or disappointments viewed as of now, except for slight niggles like- left speaker is slightly louder than the right speaker, slow HDD (I knew the on board HDD was slow so cant complain), some bloatware software like McAfee / VPN service which I promptly uninstalled.

Viewing angles are decent and the screen is excellent, considering that I was using a 1366 x 786 resolution TN panel before. Screen preferance is subjective, what I like could be very different from what you would want in a screen. I recommend visiting an HP showroom / offline retailer and have a look at any of the OMEN or the HP Pavilion Gaming laptops on sale - doesnt matter which processor since almost all of them have the same 60Hz 250 nits screen, 60-70% sRGB coverage screen. You could also make an enquiry if they are willing to match the online price for the laptops.

The laptop I purchased has only a 1 TB 5400RPM SATA HDD storage out of the box since it was base variant. I got it for 61K on amazon. I have ordered a 512GB SSD to be used as boot drive, it is currently under transit and should reach me by Monday. I will update by 4th / 5th Sep since I am usually busy during the weekdays + this is my first time cloning a HDD onto a SSD, so I could end up taking some more time.

I dont expect a significant jump in the CineBench scores. I slightly PC Mark would be a slightly better option to test the scores.

Total cost : Laptop: INR 61000 + SSD 512GB : INR 5500 = INR 66500 for a config of R5 4600H + 512GB SSD + 1 TB HDD + 4GB GTX 1650)
BTW, fresh install is preferred for that.

What are the cinebench scores with current setup? R15.

Æsoteric Positron

Maybe in smaller cities, never seen such helpful shopkeepers in metro cities especially big showrooms.
Nah, in my city the situation is very bad(not a village city, but not a metropolitian like delhi, mumbai etc), and I thought till now that there would be less deceiving in big cities cause of the competition there.

Æsoteric Positron

I see two people have bought pavilion.
I'm hoping they'll post reviews. @abhitruechamp @123hero
OK, here is one on ur request :)

1.(Biggest pro) Build quality is really great along with sleek and sturdy looks screen flex is too much but as @123hero said , maybe its the case with lappies with single hinge . Keyboard flex dosen't exist on this model.

2.Speaking about keyboard its really good for me , with good tactile feedback. Its not mechanical or anything and keycaps wobbles a little bit but overall pretty slick keyboard

3.Now lets come to the software . ITS CRAP. This model is infested with useless apps which add nothing to the UX. The OS was not at all updated and I didn't even got the update for ver. 2004, at last giving up I had to install windows update assistant which updates all systems to a newer windows ver. I had to even do a system restore at one point (but maybe its was chocolaty's fault more then HPs lol). They did some BSes like removing performance and battery profiles in the power menu and replacing it with HPs own. M$ office app and McAFee were included along with express VPN , but they had no license in them, making this OS basically a advert for HP. Even Omen command center which is generally applauded , was a waste in this configuration. It can be noted that U can clean install , if you wanna go that path , but even u have the B a double l s to do it, its still an inconvenience and I think HP is just trading good user experience here for pure cheap marketing.

4.The processor and graphics card is pretty great with the bottleneck here being the RAM which U can upgrade down the line, but it isn't listed on H.P's official website how much u can upgrade, and U can't believe the amazon page. So, I would like to know if someone knows till how much capacity the RAM is upgradable as we WILL upgrade the RAM down the line . If RAM is upgradable to say 32 gigs , I would suggest U to go for the gtx 1050 ti model, as its not much costly and ryzen 5 4600H is a pretty good processor. The SSD and HDD(7200RPM) are both 'good'.

5. The display is 144hz which is real good with viewing angles that I can only describe as 'wew'. The display is not color corrected , but its passable.

6. Speakers give out sound. B&O audio control application dosen't even support audio compression, and I just cannot install realtek one.

7. Touch pad is very good for me, but keep that in mind that I have not used touchpads much.

8. Webcam is abominable , but it ain't particularly useful for me. Lack of webcam cover and not support for windows hello is a real bummer. Microphone is ok tho.

9. Battery is not great with it being up for what I believe is 3.9(lol) hrs with only utube videos)
5.Its not what I would describe as exactly easy to carry, but yeah, I am too sleepy now.

Overall a solid recommendation from me, if U can put up with a few quirks (bad webcam, software , not color corrected display, not exactly portable) and if you come to know if and how much U can upgrade the RAM down the line (8gigs ain't horrible now, but its nearing its death as 16 gigs become min you can have).

Last edited:

Æsoteric Positron

1.(Biggest pro) Build quality is really great along with sleek and sturdy looks screen flex is too much but as @123hero said , maybe its the case with lappies with single hinge . Keyboard flex dosen't exist on this model.

2.Speaking about keyboard its really good for me , with good tactile feedback. Its not mechanical or anything and keycaps wobbles a little bit but overall pretty slick keyboard

3.Now lets come to the software . ITS CRAP. This model is infested with useless apps which add nothing to the UX. The OS was not at all updated and I didn't even got the update for ver. 2004, at last giving up I had to install windows update assistant which updates all systems to a newer windows ver. I had to even do a system restore at one point (but maybe its was chocolaty's fault more then HPs lol). They did some BSes like removing performance and battery profiles in the power menu and replacing it with HPs own. M$ office app and McAFee were included along with express VPN , but they had no license in them, making this OS basically a advert for HP. Even Omen command center which is generally applauded , was a waste in this configuration. It can be noted that U can clean install , if you wanna go that path , but even u have the B a double l s to do it, its still an inconvenience and I think HP is just trading good user experience here for pure cheap marketing.

4.The processor and graphics card is pretty great with the bottleneck here being the RAM which U can upgrade down the line, but it isn't listed on H.P's official website how much u can upgrade, and U can't believe the amazon page. So, I would like to know if someone knows till how much capacity the RAM is upgradable as we WILL upgrade the RAM down the line . If RAM is upgradable to say 32 gigs , I would suggest U to go for the gtx 1050 ti model, as its not much costly and ryzen 5 4600H is a pretty good processor. The SSD and HDD(7200RPM) are both 'good'.

5. The display is 144hz which is real good with viewing angles that I can only describe as 'wew'. The display is not color corrected , but its passable.

6. Speakers give out sound. B&O audio control application dosen't even support audio compression, and I just cannot install realtek one.

7. Touch pad is very good for me, but keep that in mind that I have not used touchpads much.

8. Webcam is abominable , but it ain't particularly useful for me. Lack of webcam cover and not support for windows hello is a real bummer. Microphone is ok tho.

9. Battery is not great with it being up for what I believe is 3.9(lol) hrs with only utube videos)
5.Its not what I would describe as exactly easy to carry, but yeah, I am too sleepy now.

Overall a solid recommendation from me, if U can put up with a few quirks (bad webcam, software , not color corrected display, not exactly portable) and if you come to know if and how much U can upgrade the RAM down the line (8gigs ain't horrible now, but its nearing its death as 16 gigs become min you can have).
Oops . Pardon me @omega44-xt , and also @whitestar_999 @SaiyanGoku @RumbaMon19. I had resolved to give ya credits towards the end but at the "5th" point I promptly forgot about it.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

Thanks man.

Sorry, I didn't post earlier, I ordered Omen en0001ax yesterday evening.
I was torn between HP pavillion for 72k(the most appropriate priced model right now, since the 61k model isn't available) and Omen for 76k.
I don't have a system even for normal work right now. Only have access to home laptop(shared).
It was getting to my head. So, slept during the afternoon tomorrow, woke up to see only one available. Ordered it. .

Let's see how it fares when it arrives.
I really didn't care about refresh rates or color gamut as, I do have access to external monitor if I need that. Neither of the 4600h models currently available are good in this. So, I guess that's fine.

I'm still confused. I think I will be for the time being. But, I'm hoping the omen works fine. And the hinge issue isn't too much of a deal breaker.

BTW, thanks everyone (@whitestar_999, @123hero, @abhitruechamp, @omega44-xt, all) for suggestions and all. I hope my decision was correct.
I'll post a review when I get it (or Saturday)

Last edited:

Æsoteric Positron

Update : HP, support is useless as expected.

Attachments

• photo6226620673099409896.jpg
    photo6226620673099409896.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 122
OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Update : HP, support is useless as expected.
Check service manual. I'll link it here in some time.
That one says upto 32gb.
Also, for proper support, go to forums. Whatsapp chat is just pure bullshit for most companies. HP has atleast someone on the other end. Lenovo just has a bot, AFAIK. Couldn't ever get to a human.

Æsoteric Positron

Thanks man.

Sorry, I didn't post earlier, I ordered Omen en0001ax yesterday evening.
I was torn between HP pavillion for 72k(the most appropriate priced model right now, since the 61k model isn't available) and Omen for 76k.
I don't have a system even for normal work right now. Only have access to home laptop(shared).
It was getting to my head. So, slept during the afternoon tomorrow, woke up to see only one available. Ordered it. .

Let's see how it fares when it arrives.
I really didn't care about refresh rates or color gamut as, I do have access to external monitor if I need that. Neither of the 4600h models currently available are good in this. So, I guess that's fine.

I'm still confused. I think I will be for the time being. But, I'm hoping the omen works fine. And the hinge issue isn't too much of a deal breaker.

BTW, thanks everyone (@whitestar_999, @123hero, @abhitruechamp, all) for suggestions and all. I hope my decision was correct.
I'll post a review when I get it (or Saturday)

N.P, I feel you. I have been in this situation many times. Omen one is a not a bad laptop AFAIK, and if you can spend the extra dough for it , it would be better ig.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
N.P, I feel you. I have been in this situation many times. Omen one is a not a bad laptop AFAIK, and if you can spend the extra dough for it , it would be better ig.
Actually, if the 61k pavilion was available, I would have bought it. That would have saved me some money for the ram and ssd, still totalling below omen. XD
If only lenovo had Legion 5 available . I think that might have made the decision easier.

Æsoteric Positron

Check service manual. I'll link it here in some time.
That one says upto 32gb.
Thanks! On amazon page it says 16. Now I can finally recommend to it someone wholeheartedly lol.

Also, for proper support, go to forums. Whatsapp chat is just pure bullshit for most companies. HP has atleast someone on the other end. Lenovo just has a bot, AFAIK. Couldn't ever get to a human.
This was the first time I used whatsapp support for customer support, and I think a bot here would have been better lol, she took 5mins to more to respond to a single message and didn't even solve my query but took many details for me. I guess a scammer and whatsapp support are equal lol. By forms U mean asking users or in their official online support?

Æsoteric Positron

Actually, if the 61k pavilion was available, I would have bought it. That would have saved me some money for the ram and ssd, still totalling below omen. XD
If only lenovo had Legion 5 available . I think that might have made the decision easier.

But I think it dosen't have a equally good processor and graphics card? Wouldn't acer nitro 5 be a equally lucrative option then?

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Thanks!

This was the first time I used whatsapp support for customer support, and I think a bot here would have been better lol, she took 5mins to more to respond to a single message and didn't even solve my query but took many details for me. I guess a scammer and whatsapp support are equal lol. By forms U mean asking users or in their official online support?

Asking users is more error prone. I haven't yet done that though. Let's wait for one of the experienced people here to reply.
But yes, I see no harm in posting on their forum. I would need to know for my model too. Couldn't find the manual for this year's model, could only find for last gen Ryzen Pavilion which was ec0xxxax.

*support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-15-ec1000-laptop-pc-series/32612064/manuals

This should have this year's model, manuals, but it still links the last-gen models Should report this.

But I think it dosen't have a equally good processor and graphics card? Wouldn't acer nitro 5 be a equally lucrative option then?
It has the same Processor. Graphics card is 1650 (non Ti).
This one: Robot Check
Nitro 5 isn't available.

Edit: somehow automerge isn't working for me.

Top Bottom