Entry Level - Performance Laptop - INR 60-65K - mostly editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't look like you cloned the hdd properly. It is not just the C drive that needs to be there on ssd but also the system partitions(those 2 small no name partitions). Check my post#112 above, it also mentions the procedure for cloning from larger to smaller disk. If it is done correctly then you should see 2 windows boot manager entries, one on hdd & one on ssd.

Here is what I did now.

I partitioned the HDD to a 200GB + 700GB combination and cloned the 200GB portion to the SSD.

Cloning was successful as per Macrium. And a new drive created as Drive E

Now I can't find the correct settings in BIOS to make the SSD as the boot drive
Shrinking bigger drive then cloning is the way to do it.

If everything was cloned correctly, like you selected all partitions except the 700GB one to be cloned, then cloning should have been successful. Now since both your drives have Win10, your laptop is likely trying to boot from first priority one (usually HDD slot). So, just disconnect your internal HDD & try to boot it. You might go into Windows repair & it should repair boot entries of SSD.

After Win10 from SSD has booted, shut down your laptop, reconnect HDD & see if its booting again with SSD with both drives connected. If yes, you are good to go, just format the HDD.

If no, HDD is still booting, then in a way you know that SSD alone does boot into Win10. So, get into Windows StartUp repair:
How to use the Window Startup Repair Tool

Then choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt (follow initial steps from this article):
How To Repair and Restore Windows 10

Use command prompt command "diskpart" to format your HDD (not SSD):
How to Format a Hard Drive Using the Command Prompt (Follow from step 2 to 5, you can create new partition later as well using Disk Management of Win10)

With UEFI, Win10 cloning is a mess at times. There's no simple option to select the boot priority "drive".

OP

123hero

In the zone
It doesn't look like you cloned the hdd properly. It is not just the C drive that needs to be there on ssd but also the system partitions(those 2 small no name partitions). Check my post#112 above, it also mentions the procedure for cloning from larger to smaller disk. If it is done correctly then you should see 2 windows boot manager entries, one on hdd & one on ssd.
Ok here is what I did

I re-expanded the original C drive of around 930GB and Macrium shows it as below

1- SYSTEM FAT 32 LBA Primary - 260MB
2-None (Unformatted Primary)- 16MB
3- Windows C -930 GB
4- Windows RE tools - 510 MB

Now it I select every thing, then obviously it would show insufficient space. So I did drag and drop of the first 3 partitions - resized the 3rd one to manage around 510 MB space left and then dragged and dropped the 4th partition.

SSD partitions as below

1- SYSTEM FAT 32 LBA Primary - 260MB
2-None (Unformatted Primary)- 16MB
3- Windows E- 468 GB
4- Windows RE tools - 510 MB

I did the cloning and Macrium showed it as successful

Then I restarted the PC - went into BIOS - but can see only the HDD in the OS Boot Manager - which is where I am finding an issue since the SSD should show up on the BIOS.

I cant manually disconnect the HDD at the moment since I dont have the extremely small screw drivers - I got it from an acquaintance and it could be 1-2 days before I can have it back as well.

Other softwares like Acronis does have a feature called "proportionate cloning" where in the cloning is done proportionately. Looks like Macrium (free version) does not have this feature. The dumbass computer not allowing to install the Acronis software - have no clue why. I have only the Windows Defender installed. I click on the .exe file - then nothing happens. I tried running as administrator - still no effect

I cant manually disconnect the HDD at the moment since I dont have the extremely small screw drivers - I got it from an acquaintance and it could be 1-2 days before I can have it back as well.

Other softwares like Acronis does have a feature called "proportionate cloning" where in the cloning is done proportionately. Looks like Macrium (free version) does not have this feature. The dumbass computer not allowing to install the Acronis software - have no clue why. I have only the Windows Defender installed. I click on the .exe file - then nothing happens. I tried running as administrator - still no effect
Removing cable will do, no need to remove HDD physically. I have used Macrium Reflect free with my current laptop, many recommend it as well. So if cloning was done properly, just disconnect HDD cable & follow steps I mentioned, when you can. Do update us.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Removing cable will do, no need to remove HDD physically. I have used Macrium Reflect free with my current laptop, many recommend it as well. So if cloning was done properly, just disconnect HDD cable & follow steps I mentioned, when you can. Do update us.
but he will have to open the laptop to disconnect the cable and he said he dont have correct screw driver for screws.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok try this then, you have nothing to lose anyway.
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/time-to-give-up-or-can-this-be-saved.208633/post-2387596

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The macrium software could not do a correct cloning. I used the Kingston's Acronis Tool and it works perfectly fine.

and Blazing fast as well. :grin:

@whitestar_999 : You may close the thread since query is addressed, laptop is bought , done and dusted.

Thanks a lot for support especially @whitestar_999 and @omega44-xt
Good to know. Where did you get the key for kingston's acronis oem tool though?

You mean it came within the box as printed on some manual or was it printed on the box itself, asking as printed key on box itself has higher chances of being leaked during packaging etc.
I remember using Samsung Magician or something when I bought my old Evo 840 years ago. I think it worked by authenticating if you have a Samsung SSD. Maybe same way for Kingston.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember using Samsung Magician or something when I bought my old Evo 840 years ago. I think it worked by authenticating if you have a Samsung SSD. Maybe same way for Kingston.
Samsung magician is developed by samsung for its ssd & comes as standard. Kingston etc give oem version of acronis(WD & seagate also give it with their hdd) with their higher end ssd(not available with A400 etc series) by providing a serial no. to activate the oem version.

OP

123hero

In the zone
You mean it came within the box as printed on some manual or was it printed on the box itself, asking as printed key on box itself has higher chances of being leaked during packaging etc.

It was a small label, about the size of a Wrigley's Chewing Gum strip.

Nothing was mentioned on the SSD box. I had first watched a tutorial for Samsung EVO data cloning and they had used Samsung's proprietary software. I thought if Samsung has its own software, so should Kingston. Thats how I realised Kingston gave a license for Acronis alongwith the SSD and discreetly did not think it was necessary to mention it anywhere on the packaging or anywhere else on the product.

Unaware folks would have thrown it away thinking of it as some serial number that had no purpose.

Further as @omega44-xt said, it would work on a dual mode of authentication - First it would check whether the device actually has a Kingston SSD or not, secondly- they would check whether the key has been linked to a verified email account, to prevent re-use of the same.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a small label, about the size of a Wrigley's Chewing Gum strip.

Nothing was mentioned on the SSD box. I had first watched a tutorial for Samsung EVO data cloning and they had used Samsung's proprietary software. I thought if Samsung has its own software, so should Kingston. Thats how I realised Kingston gave a license for Acronis alongwith the SSD and discreetly did not think it was necessary to mention it anywhere on the packaging or anywhere else on the product.

Unaware folks would have thrown it away thinking of it as some serial number that had no purpose.

Further as @omega44-xt said, it would work on a dual mode of authentication - First it would check whether the device actually has a Kingston SSD or not, secondly- they would check whether the key has been linked to a verified email account, to prevent re-use of the same.
Yeah I was also surprised to know Kingston giving cloning software with their higher end ssd & NVMe drives & not just packaging or manual, they don't mention it clearly even on their own site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom