Entertainment PC Config - Help!!

jking

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Movies, Music, Browsing, Game (Heaviest that I play are Age of Empires2 and Age of mythology). Video Ripping in upconversion
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: I prefer to have intel i3 or i5 based config. Also ready for alternates.
3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 25K (without monitor)
4. Planning to overclock?
A: No
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 1TB to 1.5TB
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: Will buy monitor later. However PC should deliver full HD video and Dolby DTS Trude HD output
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 7
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: By assembler
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: within 2 weeks
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: I dont believe there is anything called future proof
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Monitor, Keyboard,Mouse,DVD-RW
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Mumbai. Planning to buy everything from lamington road
14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: 1) Additional components required to be added are multi-media card reader, wifi lan card
2) Mobo should have USB3 and eSATA port
3) Mobo should have 5.1/7.1 analogue out and optical out
4) Should have provision to add TV tuner card in future
6) Will add blueray writer in future

My current choice is

intel i3-540
Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3
Corsair 2GB DDR3
Coolermaster Elite 360
Coolermaster PSU 350W
Wlan card
MMC reader
Seagate barracuda 1.5TB HDD

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
OP
J

jking

Broken In
Thanks for the quick response. Gimme AMD config too. (I have changed the answer suitably). Currently I have a 15" CRT. Its temporary one. I will look for better monitor/TV in 2 months down the line and most of the time i will connect it to my projector (Epson 720p native and capable of fullHD). Dont need speakers, as I will connect it to my existing HT, which has 5.1 analogue in.

Last edited:

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
For amd my suggestion is -

AMD athlon ii x4 635 @ 5k
Gigabyte 880GMA UD2H @ 5.5k
Kingston 2 GB ddr3 1333Mhz @ 2k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 @ 3k
ATI radeon HD 5670 512MB @ 5.2k
Cooler master elite 310 @ 1.6k
FSP saga 350W @ 1.4k
Netgaer draft N Compatible Wifi card @ 0.9k
Card Reader 0.2k
Total - 24.5k

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
since you will need a wifi lan card, tv tuner card probably you need atleast 2 pci connectors. but that mobo has got 1 pci slot. also the slots should be nicely placed out..
so modifying cybertonic's config -

AMD Athlon II x4 630 @ 4.5k
ASUS M4A87TD-EVO @ 6.4k
G.Skill 2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 2.3k
Sapphire HD5550 1GB DDR3 @ 4.4k
WD 500GB Blue * 2 @ 4k
FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 24.6k

HD5550 is enough for your gaming and HTPC needs.

but the main concern now is asus service..rashi peripherals sucks! but i found no other option in that price range as your requirement needs well spaced slots and more of them..so somebody else might be able to suggest you some other mobo might be..

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
since you will need a wifi lan card, tv tuner card probably you need atleast 2 pci connectors. but that mobo has got 1 pci slot. also the slots should be nicely placed out..

ASUS M4A87TD-EVO @ 6.4k
WD 500GB Blue * 2 @ 4k
FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 24.6k

but the main concern now is asus service..rashi peripherals sucks! but i found no other option in that price range as your requirement needs well spaced slots and more of them..so somebody else might be able to suggest you some other mobo might be..

y r u suggesting him a ASUS board???
MSI/GIGA at 5.6k will do more better and will be safer too

OP
J

jking

Broken In
Thanks a ton to all those of you with kind heart for the response with your suggestions.

For amd my suggestion is -

AMD athlon ii x4 635 @ 5k
Gigabyte 880GMA UD2H @ 5.5k
Kingston 2 GB ddr3 1333Mhz @ 2k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 @ 3k
ATI radeon HD 5670 512MB @ 5.2k
Cooler master elite 310 @ 1.6k
FSP saga 350W @ 1.4k
Netgaer draft N Compatible Wifi card @ 0.9k
Card Reader 0.2k
Total - 24.5k

Mobo does not have USB3.0

ASUS M4A87TD-EVO @ 6.4k
WD 500GB Blue * 2 @ 4k
FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 24.6k

Mobo does not have eSATA port

also are there pcie x1 tuner cards or wifi cards available??

This is D-Link wlan with 32-bit PCI interface Theitdepot - D-link Wireless N 150 Desktop Adapter (DWA-525)

@Jaskanwar
He can always go for a USB tv tuner card

I prefer to have an internal TV tuner card so that I can record it.

------------------------------------------------------
1) Any recommendations on intel based config?
2) What about the config I have given in my first post?
3) While both recommended configs has separated Graphic Card, why a mobo with integrated graphic was recommended? In such case, is it possible to get a mobo without integrated graphic and save some cost?
4) Why CM elite 310? I wanted the cabinet to place horizontal and chose CM elite 360.
5) Is 350W PSU sufficient for my usage (keep in mind about future addition of tv-tuner and chaning to BD writer)? Also I read few graphic cards demand minimum 400W PSU for optimal performance.

Thanks & Regards

rajan1311

Padawan
but then HD audio is only via HDMI and that really depends on your receiver's capability right? SPDIF is just 5.1, 7.1 analog? nah dude...

OP
J

jking

Broken In
Thanks for your question rajan1311. It made me read a bit.

Most of the intel chipset support HD audio. Intel promotes HD audio along with Dolby laboratories. It comes in 3 categories, Dolby Sound room (2 channel), Dolby Home Theatre (5.1 channel) and Dolby Master Studio (7.1 channel).

Now the answer to your question SPDIF cannot take HD-audio through optical cable, as it does not have enough bandwidth. However if MOBO can hand over full HD audio in analogue format analogue 7.1 can take it happily for processing and reproducing by AV receivers. Currently my need is only 5.1 and my AV receiver also can handle only 5.1, so even SPDIF out will work for me. But my requirement in PC is optical,analogue and HDMI also.

Last edited:

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
^^^WOW!
For a second it felt like i was in calculus class again.
Everything went overhead.
Btw, just posted to wish you all happy belated dusshera.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
This is D-Link wlan with 32-bit PCI interface Theitdepot - D-link Wireless N 150 Desktop Adapter (DWA-525)

i asked for a pci-e x1 interface not pci.

i found these -
Aver TV Speedy PCIE Internal TV Tuner PCI Express
AverTV Tuner with HD Capture

so if you will use these types of cards then
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H will do good.

it has -
1 x PCI Express x16 slot
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4
1 x PCI Express x1 slot
1 x PCI slots

so x16 for your gfx part, x4 or x1 for tv tuner or wifi(if you find)(remember x1 devices can be used with x4 slots also, but they will run at x1 speed), pci for remaining wifi or tv tuner..

also its got usb3 and esata, dolby home theatre support..

so your config -

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H @ 5.5k
WD 500GB Blue * 2 @ 3.6k
FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 23.3k

now with remaining money you can go with a fsp saga II 400w @ 2k or even fsp saga II 500w @ 2.2k(which is more vfm considering the 200 bucks difference).
yes you can look at elite 360 also.
and athlon II x4 635 @ 5k can also be considered..

also athlon II x4 is a more vfm, futureproof and better option than i3 530 also. i3 540 costs a lot. you will notice a much better performance in multithreaded apps at lower price. in gaming there is only 6-7 fps difference in general. also gaming depends on the gpu used also. at higher settings its the gpu which matters most. also i3 540 is priced at 7k..at this price you can have a phenom II x4 945. in video encoding 630 and 635 are better.

a mobo without integrated gfx as in your case a 870 chipset based mobo like the asus board i mentioned. they are actually in same 5-6k range and even above as you saw.

Top Bottom