ENOUGH OF: WHAT TO BUY?. POST WHAT NOT TO BUY HERE.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECE0105

In the zone
Wow, that's quite a list of not to buys........

BTW, I cannot agree with one point that everyone's making.

I have been using a Samsung 40Gb (5400rpm) HDD for the past 4 years, a Samsung DVD-ROM Drive since 5 1/2 years and a Samsung CD-RW since 3 years. I have had absolutely no problems with them and even a few benchmarks have held them high above the competition..

Sometimes, the performance benchmarks of the HDD has been above that of even 7200rpm drives.

(I used Sisoft Sandra for the Benchmark)

I have never had any trouble with the Optical drives except twice when each of the drives had their lenses cleaned, which I believe is normal.

If I had to quote somethings that I recommend others not to buy, it would be:

* Don't buy the costly Sony Optical Drives, you can get the same (if not better) quality with LiteOn drives.

* Don't buy CD-ROM, CD-RW or Combo Drives, DVD-+RWs have entered the scene in a big way and will stay for a few years atleast....

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
dont buy seagate pata 80gb hdd...my hard disk developed bad sectors within a month of buying [in perfect usage conditions...no high voltage or anything], i sent it to the service center, took 20 days. i used the returned drive and again within 2 months starting giving problems.
again gave it, however this time its working ok [been 3-4 months now]
although it comes with a 7 yr warranty i dont think seagate gives a new drive if u send it to them with problems, they either repair n give u the same drive or some other old drive, it is bcoz of tht i think i got bad sectors easily twice on the drive
7 yrs warranty is useless, if the pdt quality isnt gud, its better to give just 3 yrs and make gr8 quality hdd, since data stored on it is very important, and every time a hdd crashes,it is the cause of a lot of pain for the user. also given the rate at which tech changes, one will surely go in for sata or a higher capacity in less than 3 yrs...right...so no use for 7 yrs warranty
i dunno how they call themselves market leaders....next time i buy, surely i'll go in for maxtor, western cavair digital or samsung[my 20gb hdd frm samsung lasted me 4 yrs w/o giving any problem ever]

also dont go for dvd rom drives, instead go in for a combo drive....if u cant afford a dvd writer i.e.
even dvd rom drive is ok to a gud extent if u dont wish to write any cds...but cd rom drive are a strict no-no...dvds have found major acceptance in the country and its better to have a comp tht can play dvds

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
hey dude....now i knw why u are banned...
btw pata[parallel ata] is the format used by older hdd for data transfer...the plain ide drives
my mobo and all other old mobos support only pata not sata...
sata[serial ata] is faster and of ocurse better but only new mobos support such drives.

ab tumhe pata chala pata kya hota hai!!!

comrade

foreign return(0)
dont buy cheap intex keyboards..they are as hard as bricks.
dont go for external tv tuner card...they r costly, wont accept 3 party softs, signal reception is not gr8, poor channel detection .

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Don't ever buy anything with 'Quantum' in it, specially keyboards. Their keyboards are absolutely pathetic!

btw This is actually quite a useful thread :)

Vyasram

The pWnster
Never buy

1)pview play tv pro 2 and honestech software (they make a total sucking combination in my system)
2)ANY OPTICAL DRIVE FROM SAMSUNG
3)Cheap digicams and mp3s (chinese)
4)Dealers will try to sell cheap smps , dont fallon them use powersafe, vip or antec (if you can prefer antec)
5)Cheap ups that turn to backup even if there is a slight changein voltage (prefer wipro or apc)
6) 100 rs keyboards and mice die in 100 days
7)Cabinets that are light and dont have anything on their front panel
8)norton products if u r on a low end or midend system
9)Avoid bottlenecking anything

manmay

Journeyman
dont buy ups other than apc.
apc's value for money and services are really good.
and extra 200-300 bucks is totally justified.

capri435

Broken In
Another complete waste of time thread.I think within a month all the products available in the indian market will be listed here.Some say dont buy smsung HDD some say seagate,some maxtor and some hiatachi.Then what the hell one buys. :evil:
I think i'lll have to start a new company. :D :D

The thing is a few bad experiences doesnt make a product bad.People are mentioning all kinds of products without giving any reason.
Am sorry to say but this is misleading information.
And by the way dont buy a DIGIT magzine its very addictive.(See i gave a valid reason :wink: )
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see Dead pixels :shock: :shock: :shock:

Vyasram

The pWnster
@capri go with what the majority says.

For eg let's take optical drives
Some say samsung sucks(me), some say lg sucks , some say liteon sucks. But the majority accepts that samsung sucks . So only samsung sucks big time , so dont buy samsung. This is similar for other products as well.

I anyway wud recommend u to see online polls instead of this to find which products rock and which products suck

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
GUYS
may be this one wont sattisfy the post but i read somewhere tht dont buy original microsoft products
Now im confuse with this
Is buying microsoft media center keyboard priced at 4550 RS fair enough ???
U can see the reviews here
*www.microsoft.com/products/info/pr...3d5dae9e-3bcc-4516-8cdd-25d1745a9734&type=ovr
PLZ reply

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
capri435 said:
And by the way dont buy a DIGIT magzine its very addictive.(See i gave a valid reason :wink: )
Hey man u hav got good sense of humour. I liked it
And now for donts
PLZ dont repeat wht others says, unless u hav a valid reason......
Pyaar - Yogi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom