Electronic Arts & the lost art of game testing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

domin8r

Journeyman
A few thoughts that have run through my mind ever since I played my first PC game, Need For Speed: II Special Edition has, that one, EA is definitely the biggest dog in the yard when it comes to game publishing, and two, the guys who test game at EA have the easiest jobs in the whole wide world.
One thing similar to all of the game published by EA is their post-thanksgiving-pre-christmas release dates, and the fact that many of them are'nt even new games. They're just piggybacking on the success of the previous games that've somehow snowrolled into successful franchises. They also have another thing in common, they're all incomplete games. From the NBA series to NFS, from NHL to UEFA. Proper testing seems to be lacking in most of EA's products. They lack that certain "something" that should be there when you expect the world's biggest publisher to release a game. I've worked for NFS sites for more than 3 years, reviewing and playing these games to death. And in each, when you get to the middle of the game, you feel saying to yourself, man they atleast could've added "this" to "that" and so on. In Underground 2, for example, the "city-car-rolls-while-you-customize-your-ride" option was axed from Underground. One question, why? EA has this habit of getting rid of things that were good in one game to their next version.

Either EA has to make these games in such a hurry to meet the deadlines, that they just leave out anyting that requires too much programming, or as I've said before, the testers at EA have taken their jobs too much for granted.

escape7

What? Where? How?
Well, u said a lot there & correct, The testing guys there are taking their work for granted, little bit of errors sometimes makes u laugh at them, sometimes u get irritated. EA should invest more time in testing of games till the last details, every possible bug should be removed. Looks like they r taking things for granted (jus'like MS), if the don't improve their quality they'll face serious competition.

OP
D

domin8r

Journeyman
And one of the companies looking to overtake them are Ubisoft. They've a great lineup of games, and with Cold Fear coming up, things don't look too good for the Redmond based guys...

rohanbee

Padawan
well they (ea) will eventually loose out on their market share by neglecting the needs of their cutomers. This has happened to many successful organisations who did not listen to their consumers.

supersaiyan

In the zone
i have noticed in nfsu2 that u aren't able to open the doors and hoods by clicking on them. u can only see them on the showcase mode that is in the carreer mode when the photographer call u for a pic of a car. another thing. i have the asia pacfic original edition. one day i was playin and i won a race. i unlocked some new parts. when i read the sms it said that new carbon spoilers and roof scoops were unlocked. but when i went to the shop nothin was unlocked. instead new custom gauges were unlocked. now thats problem. did ne of the forum members have this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom