Elden Ring

Nerevarine

Incarnate
It feels absolutely wierd using Y button to interact, as you now use A to jump.

Also Y + RB, Y + LB to make it 2 handed.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It feels absolutely wierd using Y button to interact, as you now use A to jump.

Also Y + RB, Y + LB to make it 2 handed.
I remapped it to make Y for jumping and A for interact, like in Dark Souls. The advantage of this setup is that running with B and then pressing Y to jump afterwards is more natural than doing B -> A.
Since it was my first time, controls weren't a big issue. Although, trying to run & change cam using RS needed some finger exercise.
Yeah, I used to face same issue. But I got used to it after sometime. Key is to use the right stick to turn as much as possible and use left stick to "strafe" in a sense.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I remapped it to make Y for jumping and A for interact, like in Dark Souls. The advantage of this setup is that running with B and then pressing Y to jump afterwards is more natural than doing B -> A.
That is a very good idea man, I always have trouble jumping while running. I think B ->Y would be much more natural like executions in shadow of mordor.

But then toggling 2H to 1H would be even more wierd. lol

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
They are really annoying to fight. I mostly use hit and run tactics to get them. I can parry them but if I miss I get punished hard.

The Caelid one is especially difficult.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If you run they can throw and control their swords, hitting you multiple times. It took me a while to figure out max range of that attack.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
You guys tried the new colosseum update? The combat is cool with upto 3v3. It follows the respawn mechanic similar to the one in Dark Souls.
Yup tried it on launch, the first battle was interrupted due to a server error, the second it finally successfully connected. I won, sent ss of it to anyone who could bother to see. Thought this update was cool and basically never opened it again XD

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
I completed Elden Ring yesterday using "easy mod"
What's funny if you would have said the same for dark souls I would have asked you to play the game again without mods to enjoy it fully. But with Elden Ring I definately agree with the wonky difficulty curve. It isn't that the game is hard and gets easier as you git gud, the game remains hard AF for anyone underleveled and is a breeze if you get overleveled by mistake. I mean you did lose some of the charm, but then again some of the frustration.
As for the discovery, souls games are designed that way. 2 reasons have been stated for it over the years
1. Souls games try to mimic life. You don't get to experience everything there is in the first playthrough.
2. They weren't blind to the internet and encouraged the online discussion communities to bring together loads of people to discuss and gather info on the lore, the hidden items and weapons etc. There's always a point in your journey where you are more engaged in the discussion surrounding the mystical power of a pendant that could potentially unlock a hidden NPC sidequest than the game itself.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Elden Ring has 30 bosses in the first lingrave area. IT doesnt force you to go to every boss, you should take your time and return to bosses when you cant beat them.
I think it nudges you in a direction, hey is margit too difficult right now ? Perhaps you should explore southern lingrave. Dark souls was mostly linear (maybe 2-3 branching paths).

Also I see in ER, the boss health increases massively whenever you have NPC summons. And half the player summons, just die within first 30 seconds. But all in all, atleast for the starting areas, I dont really think bosses are any different to dark souls.

Probably only exception I found so far is the bell bearing hunter. Dude is a straight up terminator.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Ball bearing hunters are optional though and can mostly be avoided by travelling during the day.

What's funny if you would have said the same for dark souls I would have asked you to play the game again without mods to enjoy it fully. But with Elden Ring I definately agree with the wonky difficulty curve. It isn't that the game is hard and gets easier as you git gud, the game remains hard AF for anyone underleveled and is a breeze if you get overleveled by mistake. I mean you did lose some of the charm, but then again some of the frustration.
As for the discovery, souls games are designed that way. 2 reasons have been stated for it over the years
1. Souls games try to mimic life. You don't get to experience everything there is in the first playthrough.
2. They weren't blind to the internet and encouraged the online discussion communities to bring together loads of people to discuss and gather info on the lore, the hidden items and weapons etc. There's always a point in your journey where you are more engaged in the discussion surrounding the mystical power of a pendant that could potentially unlock a hidden NPC sidequest than the game itself.
I partly blame my friend for the toughness I faced in game as after completing, I can say mages are the best for most players. My friend put me up for dex build saying it will be much more useful later in the game, but even after completing, I don't see how mage would have been put into massive disadvantage. I used a Moonveil build to finish the game.

Anyways, I don't think I will spend my money on Fromsoftware ever again, just not for me. I will prefer AC or GoW anyday over it. I am fine dying 3-4 times against a boss, but not 10+ or even small minions killing me easily multiple time.

Forget rest of the issues, give me a good reason why this game lacks pause in SP? I find leaving my PC to open the front door of home or something less stressful in R6 than this game because of loss of runes.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
The game is meant to be played in a way in which you could be invaded by other players at any time. Its a theme that's prevalent in all from software games, the unpredictabity. Maybe that's why there's no pause.

Also, don't listen to any advice, just play as you see fit, use any weapon that you like and try to fine tune it. Your build should be tailor made for your own playstyle. I personally do dex builds, but only late game.

Early game, when Dex weapons are kinda rare, I focus on quality or str builds, and after reaching level 80+, I reroll and change stats.

Also, right now my primary weapon of choice is the bloodhound fang. It seems like a high skill ceiling weapon. Just looks cool, has bleed damage, and and an amazing disengage. Only downside is, it's a quality weapon, so I can't use pure dex and that it uses somber smithing stone.

I also noticed, in ER, the removal of the attunement slots makes magic extremely accessible. It would be foolish not to use magic, and I have mixed opinions on it. It means that pure str/dex builds arent as common as you see every invader running 2-3 spells. I'm still trying to figure out what I would do by late game tho.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I also see we have power stancing back, from dark souls 2. Its cool to see but also mixed feelings because it's a nerf to just one handed wielding. But I see people absolutely shred bosses with dual rapiers. Gonna try that too.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I partly blame my friend for the toughness I faced in game as after completing, I can say mages are the best for most players. My friend put me up for dex build saying it will be much more useful later in the game, but even after completing, I don't see how mage would have been put into massive disadvantage. I used a Moonveil build to finish the game.

Anyways, I don't think I will spend my money on Fromsoftware ever again, just not for me. I will prefer AC or GoW anyday over it. I am fine dying 3-4 times against a boss, but not 10+ or even small minions killing me easily multiple time.

Forget rest of the issues, give me a good reason why this game lacks pause in SP? I find leaving my PC to open the front door of home or something less stressful in R6 than this game because of loss of runes.
That's just how it is. Though I personally just quit to main menu if I want to pause, you don't lose anything by doing so. You can even quit out during boss fights and when you reload you will be outside the boss door. Its a valid strategy and speedrunners use it all the time as well.
What weapon do you use for an early dex build ?
I haven't tried Dex builds yet but I am guessing starting as Samurai should be good.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Uchigatana is what I used, that too dual wielded it, got second one from a dungeon, close to initial areas you visit. Later on I moved to Moonveil + Uchigatana.
Me too, u started as samurai ?

Also, Guys can you access fextralife elden ring ? Its giving me 403.

Top Bottom