editing boot.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamrinnirmal

Journeyman
i installed stylexp and i dint apply any bootup screen yet it still asked me if it could "add a line to the boot.ini file"......to which i clicked yes. everytime i start the computer i get two choices

windows xp (bootup screen)
windows xp

i figured the first is a copy of the original into which new bootup screens would be placed. but after uninstalling style xp i still get the choices. i dint reset my boot.ini file.
now below are the contents of my boot.ini file. which line do i remove? the first one?.......someone assure me so that i dont get the BSOD in my face!
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

swatkat

Technomancer
lamrinnirmal said:
i installed stylexp and i dint apply any bootup screen yet it still asked me if it could "add a line to the boot.ini file"......to which i clicked yes. everytime i start the computer i get two choices

windows xp (bootup screen)
windows xp

i figured the first is a copy of the original into which new bootup screens would be placed. but after uninstalling style xp i still get the choices. i dint reset my boot.ini file.
now below are the contents of my boot.ini file. which line do i remove? the first one?.......someone assure me so that i dont get the BSOD in my face!

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

The red entry is the entry created by StyleXP, this is for booting XP with some other boot screen. That Kernel1.exe is a modified ntoskrnl.exe, and contains a new boot screen.
make a backup of boot.ini file (do not compress it, copy it to another folder as it is), and then delete the red entry.
then change the timeout to 1 seconds......

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Ok now for some other way round info. I wanted to know if we use boot xp and then want to boot with the new boot screen without been asked to press enter then what are the steps involved in doing so.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
djmykey said:
Ok now for some other way round info. I wanted to know if we use boot xp and then want to boot with the new boot screen without been asked to press enter then what are the steps involved in doing so.

Huh? :? BootXP is a boot screen changer for Windows XP, wherein it changes the logon screen. How can it bypass the first level where you have to press Enter to select either Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP or 2003? If you're talking about a boot loader like XOSL, then I guess it makes sense, but BootXP? :?

swatkat

Technomancer
djmykey said:
i think it can be done..by deleting the other line and changing the timeout to 1 second....

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

here delete the red line and change timeout from 30 sec to 1 sec.....before that make a backup of boot.ini file....

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
But where does BootXP figure in this? Sure, this skips pressing the 'Enter' key, but how is someone supposed to get to the other OS if they want to, unless they edit the boot.ini file again and change the timeout either from within Windows XP or via the command line? :?

allindrome

Journeyman
It is possble to do so without deleting any lines.Simply make the kernel option as the default one and reduce the timeout to 0 sedonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom