Edgerouter 4, RB4011, or parts for a rackmountable box running pfsense?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Upcoming Black Friday and Cybermonday will have heavy discount for WD Red on Amazon.com.
If you have anyone from US coming over, get it from them.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Hmm, have any of the HGST products survived under WD? I use their Deskstar NAS drives in my current NAS.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
The salesman for the Edgerouter nearly pulled a bait and switch with me.

He offered me the part for Rs. 15650 approximately when I first contacted him. I asked him if the price included GST. He said yes.

I asked him to lower the price, and told him I'd need more equipment next year, for a whole-house fiber optic LAN installation. That stuff is a money pit.

He lowered the price to Rs. 14.5k. I agreed to the price. It was not much more than the price in US dollars in current exchange rates.

Yesterday the goods arrived at his office, and I asked him for bank details so I'd transfer the funds to his account. He said he'd mail them to me, with the final amount payable. I went WTF, wasn't it 14.5k? He said no, it was 14.5k plus GST, which was dumb because we were negotiating from a 15.6k including GST price. So it is implied that the 14.5k included GST.

He said that I was wrong, so I insisted that he check his email. He said he would, and did not get back to me. Today his office emailed me the bill, which was for 17k after a 1% cash discount on the 14.5k. The dude called me up, and I told him that we had agreed to 14.5k and he could see that in the email.

He said he could not sell it for lower than the price I had been quoted, and basically said I could cancel if I did not like the price. I told him that I'd have to think about it.

In the evening I just emailed his company to cancel the order because we had agreed to 14.5k and I was not going to pay more than that. I had received an update from Aliexpress that my other router had reached India so the ER4 was no longer essential to my plans :-D

Literally in 10 minutes I got a call that his boss had agreed to close the deal at 14.5k and whether I was still willing to buy the item. I said I would. Calling their bluff paid off :lol:

Monday I'll get the revised bill and I'll pay them. They'll deliver the router to my office.

BTW, this story does not include the BS I had to before the distributor was willing to even sell me the item. They wanted my GST registration copy, PAN card copy etc before they would make an invoice.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be a little offtopic but so far all the items I bought from aliexpress did not have to pay a single rupee as custom duty. The biggest item i bought was a motherboard and also bought used processor though both were under 5k.

Item went missing only once even though I choose shipping method with tracking - got refund. Got two faulty items and got refund. For shipping even though China Post Registered Air Parcel is good it has issue of missing parcel and delayed parcel so it's always better to choose Ali express standard shipping and keep patience.

Last edited:
OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Yeah, the Singapore route is likely more efficient than the Chinese route, now that India's government is sifting through Chinese shipments with a fine-toothed comb.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
My ER4 showed up today. It was pretty straightforward although time consuming to set up.

The pfsense appliance is in customs, and I have no clue how long it will be there. Hopefully I will get it in a couple of days, but I'm not optimistic about that. I'm expecting it to show up next week.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Eh, it's the same as any other Edgerouter. I'm not really pushing the hardware yet. This one is in preparation for a move to 1Gbit and 3x as many networked devices.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Ugh, item stuck in customs - CN22 is missing. Now how the **** do I work with the postal machinery to fix things ;~;

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Hmm, I should call Indiapost and find out.

Edit: They said I would recieve a letter from customs for that status.

If true, then my suspicions are more than confirmed that in the last 4-5 years importing goods has become much more of a hassle than it was earlier.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, I should call Indiapost and find out.

Edit: They said I would recieve a letter from customs for that status.

If true, then my suspicions are more than confirmed that in the last 4-5 years importing goods has become much more of a hassle than it was earlier.
It is true & reason being,people heavily misused this facility importing Kgs of items from china to sell here in local markets at huge margins.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
But it makes no sense to punish small packages imported for personal use.
That was just an example,people also boasted about getting mobiles from China at almost half of the prices here with similar specs a few years back not to mention reselling them here creating a double loss to govt(import taxes+local market taxes). That also alerted customs officials to small sized packets.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Ugh, item stuck in customs - CN22 is missing. Now how the **** do I work with the postal machinery to fix things ;~;
You do nothing.
JUST WAIT FOR THE PACKAGE TO ARRIVE AT YOUR DOORSTEP.
By the way,what is your package? I mean what does it consist of?

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
It's a tiny computer. A pfsense appliance from minisys.

Also I'll be out of country for most of next month. Is there a possibility that I'll be contacted or have to be available to receive the package?

Top Bottom