eBook reader within 10,000

little

Journeyman
I'm looking for a decent eBook reader. Considering all the options I zeroed in on Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (2013 model) and its also on sale (2000 off) on Amazon but I'm a little skeptical about buying a 2013 device now. I looked online for hints about a Paperwhite refresh this year but didn't find any. I can extend my purchase till diwali season this year. I know there will always be something right around the corner so in most of the cases waiting isn't a good option but I'm concerned as this is a two year old model. What do you guys suggest? Should I go for Paperwhite (2013, WiFi) at 8,999?

- - - Updated - - -

The 2000 off offer ends on 12th May.

OP
L

little

Journeyman
Go for it. In terms of ebook reading nothing beats kindle.

Yup, that's true but I'm concerned as this is a two year old model. I'm confused if buying a two year old technology is ok or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally decided to buy Paperwhite 2013 model. There isn't much innovation going in these kind of devices, for eg. 2014's Kindle Voyage isn't much different from 2013's Paperwhite. Even if they release a new Kindle this year, it won't reach Indian market before Q1 2016 and waiting that long doesn't seem okay. So going for Kindle Paperwhite 2013 model.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yup, that's true but I'm concerned as this is a two year old model. I'm confused if buying a two year old technology is ok or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally decided to buy Paperwhite 2013 model. There isn't much innovation going in these kind of devices, for eg. 2014's Kindle Voyage isn't much different from 2013's Paperwhite. Even if they release a new Kindle this year, it won't reach Indian market before Q1 2016 and waiting that long doesn't seem okay. So going for Kindle Paperwhite 2013 model.

Kindle paperwhite (WIFI) reader here. Best investment for reading books. Get your books from kindle.

But wont work well with books downloaded from internet owing to the screen size and need to zoom everytime.

OP
L

little

Journeyman
Kindle paperwhite (WIFI) reader here. Best investment for reading books. Get your books from kindle.

But wont work well with books downloaded from internet owing to the screen size and need to zoom everytime.

I plan to get most of the books from Kindle store. I have some in epub that I purchased long ago; will need to convert them.

From what I have read so far, PDFs doesn't work well with Kindle Paperwhite(due to small screen size). Did you try reading the old fast tracks on it?

- - - Updated - - -

Books downloaded from the internet should work fine if they have reflowable text (like epub, mobi) but you'll need to convert them to Amazon's proprietary format before copying them to the kindle.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION], What sort of cover/protection do you use for Paperwhite?

I'm thinking of getting this one.

$hadow

Geek in making

- - - Updated - - -

Tech becomes obsolete every now and then. When you want something buying right now is the best option.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Install Duokan OS. Installing Duokan OS is very easy in kindle paperwhite. You can read epub files without conversion. Also pdf rendering is better in Duokan OS than Kindle. It is dual bootable as it does not delete your kindle os, so you can switch to kindle os anytime you wish.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I plan to get most of the books from Kindle store. I have some in epub that I purchased long ago; will need to convert them.

From what I have read so far, PDFs doesn't work well with Kindle Paperwhite(due to small screen size). Did you try reading the old fast tracks on it?

- - - Updated - - -

Books downloaded from the internet should work fine if they have reflowable text (like epub, mobi) but you'll need to convert them to Amazon's proprietary format before copying them to the kindle.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION], What sort of cover/protection do you use for Paperwhite?

Yeah, small screen makes text smaller and difficult to read.

I never converted books to amazon's format. You can get more info. from other members. Reflowable text should resolve the issue/

I am using this cover, it's not the same but quite similar.
Ultra Slim Magnetic Leather Smart Case Cover FOR Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 5 Wifi | eBay

SabarishJ

Broken In

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

search for calibre software. that should convert your pdf to amazon azw format.

warrior123

Broken In
You need to convert the ebooks to .mobi if you want covers in them in your kindle. Sideloading .azw3 will not render book covers in Kindle.

Top Bottom