EA bans Origin in Myanmar, no Refunds

Akira

Augmented Nerd
FIFA and Battlefield hit-maker EA may have reduced its presence in India over the past few years, but you can still get its games officially via Amazon or Origin - the company’s digital distribution platform for PC. Which is a bit better than what has happened in Myanmar.

According to a thread on Reddit, EA has revoked access to Origin completely in Myanmar.

“I live in Myanmar, and I own about 20 games on Origin, and have spent hundreds of dollars on the platform. I've bought the full editions of all of the Battlefield games up to this point, with their season passes,” claimed Redditor trivial_sublime.

“I was trying to log into Origin a few days ago, and got a bizarre ‘Access Denied’ message. I googled it, and found that ‘Origin is no longer available in Myanmar’, the post continues. “None of us has been offered a refund - just a ‘sorry, all your games are gone.’”

Right now, EA has not made an official statement as to why this has happened, although one of the comments on EA’s own forums claims it could be due to US laws.

“Yes, with the Origin 10 update, US laws (which is where EA is based) forced them to block certain countries. Unfortunately you live in one of those countries. I'm sorry but there is nothing we can do here to allow you access again,” stated DarkAmaranth1966. This user is labelled as a Champion - a support volunteer picked by EA to assist other users but not an employee of the company. The response is odd considering that sanctions were lifted on October 7 and services such as Steam - which is also US-based, works fine.

It’s chilling that legitimate paying consumers can lose access to their purchases at a moment’s notice. Yet another reason to avoid buying games digitally aside from the obvious costs on bandwidth and storage space.

Source: NDTV and Reddit
And they wonder why they're the "Worst Company in the world". It's actually sad how pirates have it better than actual paying customers.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah. I saw that thread on reddit too. This is not the first time EA has done something like this. Previously there was another guy who lost his account. But for that guy, there was not particular reason and I think EA had reverted his account back to him.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
All those purchases gone in a second. Its sad to hear...
Why the santions were imposed on Myanmar.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Made me wonder with all these online MP games we can loose access any day as per the publishers wish. There's lots of good games which are not available as the servers shutdown. So It's about time game makers implement offline lan mode in games so we can still have a good time with friends whenever we want on a lan party.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Made me wonder with all these online MP games we can loose access any day as per the publishers wish. There's lots of good games which are not available as the servers shutdown. So It's about time game makers implement offline lan mode in games so we can still have a good time with friends whenever we want on a lan party.

good luck with that wish coming true :p

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, I know but as you know a wish s a wish and you can wish for anything in your mind and either The Devil or The God may fulfill it someday ;)

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
If it is US laws then Steam games should not be accessible in Myanmar right? If Steam works then it's EA's problem not US laws.

Top Bottom