DVD Writer tooo slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anshul

Journeyman
My friend has a DVD writer from LG.
It used to work fine but from a few days, it has become too slow.
It took 2 hours to copy DVD and that too failed when verifying.

I think it may be DMA problem but I am not able to figure it out properly.It always writes at about 2350 KBps even at 8X for a DVD.We checked the settings in the Device manager but found nothing.

It is the primary slave.
Any help.

Beta Waves

Journeyman
Open device manager and look for primary IDE channel (as you say its connected to primary channel).. right click and select properties. in that click on advanced settings and see if the transfer mode is set to PIO. If it is change it back to DMA.

Most often this wont work because windows will disable DMA permanently when it encounters serious errors while reading or writing. So better right click an the channel and select uninstall and Reboot the system windows will automatically install with new proper settings. It will be set to DMA.

OP
anshul

anshul

Journeyman
We tried that first thing and saw that currently it was PIO and for DMA it was Enable if available.
This didnt change much. I'll try the second.
Thanks!

Indyan

Here Since 2003
I had also faced a similar problem recently. I tried one of those vb scripts to reset my dma status. That solved the problem.

OP
anshul

anshul

Journeyman
One more problem.........
I have a DVD RW and a combo drive.
But when I installed the DVD RW, I had to remove the combo drive.
Then I attached it to the same IDE cable(it has 3 sockets), but it never gets detected.Power is there but it is not detected.
Even if it is detected as a secondary master it doesnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom