DVD rom cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
i have a benq dvd-rom wit 16x....my prob is that it wud never auto-run on its own...i hv to start explorer then highlight its drive then suddenly auto-run menu pops up....i guess it needs servicing...may be lens got dusty...coz even it runs quite slower...slower than other cd-rw...i tried using cd lens cleaner ..no use...and we dun have benq service center... so wat do i do...ne suggestions?

cheers

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
I too faced the same problem...to slove it...I opened the DvD rom and cleaned the lense with a cotton and lense cleaning liquid....

Well I don't know wheather u will try it on ur rom....

Remember opening the rom voids its warranty!!

Official Techie

In the zone
i tried opening my dvd drive but could not do so coz there were no screws to open then my dad gave me permission to buy a new lite-on dvd writter Gud Gud Gud

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Official Techie said:
i tried opening my dvd drive but could not do so coz there were no screws to open then my dad gave me permission to buy a new lite-on dvd writter Gud Gud Gud

I have done it after searching for tips from the web. Once you know the method it is very simple. There are some plastic lugs which keep it locked, which you have press for opening. But do it very slowly and carefully. Or entrust to a technician who can open and clean it within ten minutes without any special tools. Better use only lens cleaning liquid used by photogrphers and avoid isopropyl alcohol normally used by technicians.

If in the warranty peiod, do not try to open or repair. And if it is very old, say 3-4 years, there is possibility of its laser having become weak. If so, replacement would be better.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
its just above 1 yr old....so just out of warranty...im not even thinkin of replacement...its not that old...i may refer to technician....or if safe will give a try myself

cheers

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
about the autorun, my benq drive also started acting up like this but it got corrected by itself...

btw, which model do u hv?

and my benq drive also stops reading some CDs, even Sony CD-Rs, whereas my CDRW drive(which is almost 4-5yrs old and is only opened by inserting a pin so i don't use it must) reads them fine...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
speedyguy said:
its just above 1 yr old....so just out of warranty...im not even thinkin of replacement...its not that old...i may refer to technician....or if safe will give a try myself

cheers

You may try, but only if you are familiar with doing such things. Otherwise leave it to a technician who should not charge more than Rs.100/-. If you do it yourself, refer to guides from the web. For eg. it will help you know how to open it, the position of the lens etc.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
rite....i will do that...basically i dun trust technicians here around....i may do it better...they r just dumb @$$es....thanx buddies

ps: can any1 provide me a link for guidance.

cheers

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Your problem may be due to dust accumulation. And you need to clean the lens.
It's better to call a technician you trust and ask him to do the job rather than you
doing it yourself.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
JGuru said:
Your problem may be due to dust accumulation. And you need to clean the lens.
It's better to call a technician you trust and ask him to do the job rather than you
doing it yourself.

There are people who like to do things themselves rather than getting them done. Like most of us who prefer to assemble a good system rather than go for a branded and well known computer available off the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom