DVD Player for 32" LCDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hey guys i need help with a dvd player for a lcd tv which allows usbs to play movie etc...preferably a samsung brand..no idea how much budget needs to be allocated,so if anyone could pls help me out with it..for now its about 5-6k...

Ps:- i didn't know as to which section i should oput this question,if this section is wrong,plsfeel free to move it... :)

Krow

Crowman
Good query. See, mostly you will get DVD players which have USB playback, but most are limited to playing Divx/Xvid codecs only. This means that mostly they will mostly play movies in .avi and .divx format from USB. Your best bet is to take a couple of USB drives to the store with mp4, mkv, mov formats as well as avi format videos. Check out all DVD players and see if they play them. If yes, then buy, else, you will mostly end up being limited to AVI/DIVX formats.

This is what I found out. I was looking for a Home Theater setup and not just a DVD player. Your budget is great, it will buy you what you need easily. Be wary of players proced above 5k as mostly they are not worth the premium.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Good query. See, mostly you will get DVD players which have USB playback, but most are limited to playing Divx/Xvid codecs only. This means that mostly they will mostly play movies in .avi and .divx format from USB. Your best bet is to take a couple of USB drives to the store with mp4, mkv, mov formats as well as avi format videos. Check out all DVD players and see if they play them. If yes, then buy, else, you will mostly end up being limited to AVI/DIVX formats.

This is what I found out. I was looking for a Home Theater setup and not just a DVD player. Your budget is great, it will buy you what you need easily. Be wary of players proced above 5k as mostly they are not worth the premium.

Ahh Thanks a lot Krow for the reply,helped a lot,i actually did the exact same thing,i had gone to a reliance store with a usb to check if it supports movies other than the DIVX format,unfortunately most of the models i tried din't support it,but thanks a lot for the suggestion & about the budget,will keep an eye for models above 5k... :)

Krow

Crowman
Look for a good bundle. Some players give out an HDMI cable free with them, so look out for HDMI connectivity and the free cable. And look for a player which supports FULL HD upscaling as you have a 32" TV. That's all I can help you with. All the best for your purchase.

winzip

Broken In
Instead of going for a DVD player you can go for WD TV which plays content of external hard-disc/USB drives. It is able to play all kind of formats and also the firmware is upgradable to incorporate the new codecs to come. Check the link below for the formats supported.

*www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=734

Its 99$ in US. The price in India should be around 7k.

Now if you further need a DVD player for CD/DVDs to play you can go for any low-cost DVD player which can play those (no need for DivX support or USB port). WD TV + Low cost DVD player (preferably Philips) will be the best and futureproof option.

anubisX

Journeyman
You can try a Samsung HD Player which will cost you 5K but you won't be able to play HD formats. They don't even have DTS encoding. They will upscale well. Anyways, I would go for WDTV or the Xtreamer (check xtreamer.net). If you buy Xtreamer, you can use WiFi to just stream from your PC DVD-RW.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Instead of going for a DVD player you can go for WD TV which plays content of external hard-disc/USB drives. It is able to play all kind of formats and also the firmware is upgradable to incorporate the new codecs to come. Check the link below for the formats supported.

*www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=734

Its 99$ in US. The price in India should be around 7k.

Now if you further need a DVD player for CD/DVDs to play you can go for any low-cost DVD player which can play those (no need for DivX support or USB port). WD TV + Low cost DVD player (preferably Philips) will be the best and futureproof option.
+1
Exactly, the same thing came to my mind. But instead of 7k, it is actually available just for a little over 5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom