DVD drive doesnt open DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil666

Broken In
hello everyone,

my dvd player isnt opening any dvd's. its a dvd-CDRW combo drive. its been an year since i had it. it used to play things quite normally. but i stopped playing dvd's on it for awhile. only recently i got a dvd movie to play and it kept reading it and even though i left it like that for awhile nothing really happened. i tried playing the dvd's i had(which the player opened without any trouble before) but the same thing happened. i was wondering what could be the problem. the cd's open fine. i'm not really sure what brand drive it is. it basically came along with my compaq computer. thanks a lot in advance.

Naga

Broken In
Check ur drivers and see if your DVD Decoders are installed. DVD roms need software decoders to read DVD movies. U can check thru windows Media Player 9 'tools- options -DVD'. Also r u getting RPC errors? Check if your drive is region locked. And one more thing, clean ur lenses :D !

godzi_85

In the zone
dvd - region locked problem

i think you drive is region locked..... go to this site..
*www.dvdidle.com/
and download a a software dvd region free...
it allows your drive to bypass your region setting and plays a dvd...
run the software.. and then play that dvd
see if this helps..

Naga

Broken In
Try flashing ur firmware bfore u use any softwre if ur drive is already region locked. [Edit: Batty] Please take care of what you post. provides hacked firmware updates for most DVD drives.
And talking of softwares, DVD X Ghost sometimes works if Region Killer doesn't work.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
flashing ur firmware! b careful with that. if anything goes wrong, ur drive will b rendered useless. try dvd region free first.

OP
D

devil666

Broken In
okay first of all.. i had this comp for an year. i've been playing dvd movies for a long time. its a dvd drive dudes and i tried cleaning the lens as well but no help. i'm not really sure if its a region lock problem. because it doesnt even open the linux dvd that came with digit magazine. nor does it open my britannica encyclopedia dvdrom. so its got to be something else. it also doesnt open a few cd's which i can open peacefully with other cdrom drives. i remember this halo demo version playware cd that came with digit. my computer didnt open it at alll. i was so disappointed. i thought it was the cd fault. but recently i tried it on another computer it seemed to work fine. and that cd doesnt work even after i cleaned my lens.(umm.. its been awhile since i cleaned it really :oops: ) . i wonder if i should take it to a service personnel. thanks for all the help....

OP
D

devil666

Broken In
alright.. after a long time but i took it to the service personnel. he says the lens alignment is gone or something. the HP guy says,"they dont do component level servicing" and that i've to get it REPLACED. can u guys believe it? its only been an year since i got the comp and unfortunately i noticed this only after the year is over which means.. i'm out of warranty.. :( . he says a HP combo drive will cost me around 7k. better to get a drive other than the HP one i guess. they're cheaper and they will probably last longer than an year. but the whole point isnt whining abt those stupid branded HP guys.. but i was wondering if its really possible to get it repaired from ppl other than those HP guys. i mean can they realign the lens to open dvd's. or should i just throw it in the dust bin and buy another one? :evil:

theraven

Technomancer
ppl dont usually do component level jobs
ur gonna have to look ard a lot
better yet go in for a lite on combo drive ... 2.5k

OP
D

devil666

Broken In
yea.. that seems to be the case. i dont know why the alignment of the lens has changed. i means.. its not like i've taken it out and given a good shake or something right? there is one other service centre guy who said he will do something abt it. but i'm a little scared to give it to him coz i dnt want it to be completely screwed up. it still reads and burns cd's. so i should only need to buy a dvd drive not another combo drive. tht would be like saving a 1000 bucks. but if its possible to realign it.. i dont see why i should spend anything at all. i'm a little confused. advice anyone? better to get it serviced or keep it and buy a dvdrom? :roll:

theraven

Technomancer
@nikhilesh a dvd-rw for 2.5 k ?????
where are u gettin ur prices from man ?? ill take 2 !!!
:D
@devil666 dude u have anyone who works on component level and from mumbai .. let me know .. i have something i need to get fixed too !!

ujjwal

Padawan
I remember I had a lens alignment problem on my old CD-ROM drive ... no luck in getting it repaired. BTW, 7k for a DVD-CDRW combo is one of the worst prices ever. Go for a lite-on or something ...

theraven

Technomancer
7k is good for a DL drive .. !!!
plannin to get one soon ... the prices are beginnin to fall
[edit] sorry i read dvd-rw by mistake ....[/edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom