DV5 – 1104 TU Or Dell Studio 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

reniarahim1

Youngling
Hi,
Finally shortlisted two laptops to buy:HP Paviliion DV5 – 1104 TU and Dell Studio 15. My basic purpose is for normal entertainment purpose with programing and no gaming. Finding it difficult to decide between the two as there is not much difference between the two in terms of specifications.

HP Pavilion DV5 -1104 TUIntel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0GHz 2MB L2 CacheIntel PM45 Chipset3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800 MHz250GB SATA8x Double Layer LightScribe DVD Drive15.4" inch Wide Screen WXGA TFT Display, Brightview TechnologyAltec Lansing® speakers1.3 Megapixel Integrated Web camara 5 in 1 Media Reader56k ModemNIC, 802.11a/b/g WiFiBluetooth 2.0S-video TV Out, 1 VGA, HDMiIEEE 1394, 3 USB 2.0, eSATA, FPRIntegrated Fingerprint readerWindows Vista Home Premium Edition SP165 W AC Power Adapter (6 Cell)2.65 kgRs 46,990

Dell Studio 15Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.00GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD3GB2 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)Bright, glossy widescreen 15.4 WLED display (1280x800)High Definition Audio 2.02 Megapixel Integrated Web camara 8 in 1 Media ReaderNoneDell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-CardBluetooth 2.0S-Video, HDMIIEEE 1394, 4 USB 2.0, eSATAIntegrated Fingerprint readerGenuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP156 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)2.77 kgRs 47,000

Please advice on the following points:
1. Any specific problems with these models? Like heating issues with HP laptops
2. In terms of looks which one is better?
3. After sales service and customer care
4. Free Goodies J
5. Battery Backup
6. Performance
Regards,
Reni

Last edited:

amol48

Searching...
I just bought a Dell studio 15 and I am pretty happy with it. It has the same config as yours but also ha a ATI Raedon Graphics 256 MB graphics card. I bought it for Rs. 47.5k! I think you are being overpriced as you might be purchasing from a dealer. Go for online deal!

I also got Creative EP-630 noise isolation earbuds free with it (They are amazing man!) and also a Dell Travel Wireless Bluetooth mouse which is also great.

Also I would like to point out that Studio 15 has a WLED display which is a lot better compared to that of the HP that you have mentioned. Also the battery backup is great. 2.5+ hours with all acitivities going (including Wi-Fi and bluetooth)

One more thing that I would like to say is, with Dell studio 15 uninstall it's IDT sound drivers and install teh default Vista drivers for better sound. No heating problems and online support is good.

unni

In the zone
My room mates have these models - HP DV5 1104TU (or TX, need to check) & Dell Studio 15 (with ATI 256 MB). So, I may be able to answer some of your questions.

1. Any specific problems with these models? Like heating issues with HP laptops
No problems observed with either so far. HP was bought 1 week ago. Dell was bought about one month ago.

2. In terms of looks which one is better?
In my opinion, HP looks much better. (I have a DV5 1105tx.)

3. After sales service and customer care
I am very impressed with HP customer care. When I bought my DV5 1105tx, there was a free Wii Music receiver with it. It was not delivered even after the specified time. So, I wrote to customer care. A lady wrote to me back from her personal HP email id (unlike other customer care where the mail will be from customercare@company.com, the replies to which will go to some other person and not the originally handled person). She cc'd the email to the agency responsible for delivering the goods giving them directions on what needs to be done. I got the device after 10 days. After 15 days, this lady once again wrote to me asking whether I received the gift. Having really bad experiences with customer cares of many (worst being Sony Ericsson), I was very much surprised by the response from HP.

4. Free Goodies J
In addition to the 950 Rs. gift voucher offered by the HP dealer, there was a home theatre system worth 5000 Rs (I think) with DV5 1104tx. Dell Studio 15 came with Creative ep630 ear buds.

5. Battery Backup
Not sure how much. If they let me check, I will post here.

6. Performance
If you require, I can post benchmark results for these 2.

mike ming

weathered!
Reniarahim1,
Pls check the dell site for the pricing. the dell studio u mentioned is available for 43990

*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-studio-1555?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Buy it directly from the website it ll be max 43900+900. ur saving lot of cash here.if u know anybody working in dell he/she may get u discount upto 30% depending on experience in the company.

hp service is no good u ll hav to apply leave for a day at ur office and sit for hours in their office waiting in a queue. dell is all online.u call up he will do some remote diagnostics and if not repairable he will come to ur house and do it.save lot of time here.

I recently bought dell studio 15 artist edition for 48k and it rocks!!! same config in hp is 63k

Last edited:
OP
reniarahim1

reniarahim1

Youngling
Thanks all..

Today i have placed the order for Dell Studio 15 with the below configuation for 48k. I cant wait to get back the system :D. But they are asking for a 2 week lead time to get it assembled from malaysia :(

BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz/ 1066 FSB/ 3MB Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium SP1 32 bit (English)
DELL SERVICE: HARDWARE MAINTENANCE 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
DISPLAY 15.6” 720p WLED (1366x768 Display with TrueLife™ and Built-in 2.0MP Web Cam edit
Jet Black Colour with Black U-Trim
MEMORY 3GB (1X1GB + 1X2GB) DDR2 SDRAM
HARD DRIVE 320GB SATA Hard Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write
VIDEO CARD 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
AUDIO SOLUTION Integrated Stereo Sound with Subwoofer
WIRELESS NETWORK CARD Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 (802.11a/g/n) Half Mini-card
BLUETOOTH MODULE Dell(TM) Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module
PALMREST OPTION Silver Palmrest
-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
KEYBOARD Dell(TM) Keyboard with Touchpad (English)

OP
reniarahim1

reniarahim1

Youngling
Thankss :-D Dont know. I also asked the same. The sales manager replied me that as this is a new model, it is getting assembled in malaysia. Let me see how much time it takes..

amrit_i

Right off the assembly line
Thankss :-D Dont know. I also asked the same. The sales manager replied me that as this is a new model, it is getting assembled in malaysia. Let me see how much time it takes..

hey ur gonna get this model from malaysia because actually dats where it has been launched so far...if u check dell's US website u wont find the new studio 15 dere with this updated graphics card and subwoofer in speaker....

renarahim u wud b of great help 2 ppl like me in the comin few days if u giv us feedbak on ur laptop once u get it and start using it....i too am thinkin of buying dell studio 15...initially i was not because the previous graphics card on it was not so good and ppl complained dat the speaker quality was bad....

however the new graphics is the ati mobility radeon 4000 series which has been launched in 2009 and studio 15 will be one of the first laptops to use it....so i want to know how it performs and if u can test it with a few games and let us know....

also pls tell me how the speakers with subwoofers are......

check the internet for "review of new dell studio 15" and u wont find any so u cud soon be one of the few first ppl 2 review this new machine....ur help wud be appreciated by many, including me...:)

OP
reniarahim1

reniarahim1

Youngling
Sure...I will post the review once i get my lappy.....
Expected delivery date as per the Dell Website is 8th of MArch...Cant Wait for that longgggg.....:-(

Nishant

Broken In
Hi,,
I am also buying this laptop. but the price on the online store is 48,900+900diliv+4%tx
can u please post the exact price and the free gifts... thx....

OP
reniarahim1

reniarahim1

Youngling
I got the above mentioned s/m at Rs 48,282 including tax nd delivery charges. Not sure abt the free gifts. Let it arrive.

amrit_i

Right off the assembly line
can sum1 here post some information abt the new ati mobility radeon 4000 series and specifically abt da hd 4570 whch will be in da new studio 15 laptops....im lookin specifically for info on how this graphics card performs under gaming...

abhisheksohal

Red till Death..
Here some info on ati radeon 4570... :grin:
I saw this video on youtube..where this guy has an Asus F6Ve-B1 laptop with HD4570 512 mb ddr2 ,C2D T9550(2.66ghz) ,4gb ddr2 ram! And hes shown the benchmarks on 3dmark 06 ...its just 3521 on 1024x768!! while geforce 9600M gs easily goes above 4000 on 1024x768 on 3dmark 06 ...so the guys at notebookcheck.net have probably ranked it a little wrongly...it should be a little less powerful than 9600M gs Heres the video..
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9MMpraU71g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom