Dust Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My CPU case looks like a dust magnet. Every month I have to vaccume it. I searched for dust filters in nehru place, but unable to find it. Does someone knows any good shop in Nehru Place or any other part of delhi where I can find THIS kind dust filters? I will fix them on the rear fan of my CM 690.

Thanks in Advance

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
You could always get those dust filter material which they use for air condtioners. An air conditioner repair store should have a lot of them. Cut and use them accordingly.
BTW, dont vaccum the case with the entire hardware.

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
Thats not funny. You can't use Air confitioner filter with your PC case. I am looking for this kind of Air Filter

*www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g47/c223/list/p1/Fan_Accessories-Fan_Filters.html

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ I wasn't being funny mind you, you do get a sheet of air filter cloth from the ac repair shops. They have a plastic mesh type net air filter cloth and one of those washable lint free ones. Its the lint free ones for which you are better off using it. You will have to punch 4 holes, stretch the cloth a bit and attach it.

If you are thinking of putting your air conditioner's filter panel and strapping it on your case, that's funny, but that's not what I meant.
If you seriously need these only, then get it from here: *www.sidewindercomputers.com/12filfanguar.html
They do ship to India mind you, you are on your own regards to custom charges, although when I used to import from this site long time ago, i never got charged for anything upto the value of Rs. 1500-1800. Time of shipment varied- sometimes I got as fast as a week and at times as late as a month, but usually nothing more.

But be warned, I had 2 of these for my old case and they seriously sucked. They blocked roughly 1/3rd of the air easily in my case and accumulated a lot of dust, so you end up washing it every 3-4 days. Its a thin sheet of sponge, nothing more. The frame with the screw mounts was weak, so I had to use rubber gromets and ended up using cable ties. Even when they are washed the black colour comes out like some dye. Someone bought it from frozencpu and crazy pc via an importer, and pretty much ended up being the same case. No- the dust does not come easily when dusted away. I ditched it and replaced with a plastic mesh from an ac shop using the same plastic frame and it was much better.

Now I changed the case to the one with a similar (mesh type plastic filter) air filter with a preattached plastic panel for 2x 140mm fans for the fronts.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Makes a lot of sense. Will try this. My 6x fans are accumulating dust big time.

When I go to the a/c shop, what exactly should I "ask for"..?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Why do you need 6 fans? BTW, why do you need fan filters for all 6 fans, unless all 6 of them push air in :razz:
Just ask for air filter sheets/material/cloth :-\

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
My CM690 has a provision for that. So am using all 6. I am using Xfire (2 x HD4890), there is a lot of heat. And also my system is highly OC'ed.

Even the ones pushing air out, are accumulating dust.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Just put the air filters for the fans pushing the air in. If there's no dust coming in, why would there be dust coming out? Unless you have made even more vents on the case.

Besides I haven't even seen an OCed system for 24x 7 use that even needs 4-5 fans for a mid tower, let alone 6. Its an overkill, and I am assuming all of those fans are ball bearing fans with around 50-60 cfm in average?

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
Everyone is aware of dusty environment in south delhi. I use my PC only 4-5 hours on average daily baisis. 70% times it turned off. So when it is turned off the dust enters from the holes of rare fan and other holes. My heat sink TRUE 120 is a dust magnet, dust can;t be vaccumed form it.

Can someone tell me if T H I S thing or any of its subsitue is available in india?? I want to use it to clean my heat sink.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
^^ I wasn't being funny mind you, you do get a sheet of air filter cloth from the ac repair shops. They have a plastic mesh type net air filter cloth and one of those washable lint free ones. Its the lint free ones for which you are better off using it. You will have to punch 4 holes, stretch the cloth a bit and attach it.

If you are thinking of putting your air conditioner's filter panel and strapping it on your case, that's funny, but that's not what I meant.
If you seriously need these only, then get it from here: *www.sidewindercomputers.com/12filfanguar.html
They do ship to India mind you, you are on your own regards to custom charges, although when I used to import from this site long time ago, i never got charged for anything upto the value of Rs. 1500-1800. Time of shipment varied- sometimes I got as fast as a week and at times as late as a month, but usually nothing more.

But be warned, I had 2 of these for my old case and they seriously sucked. They blocked roughly 1/3rd of the air easily in my case and accumulated a lot of dust, so you end up washing it every 3-4 days. Its a thin sheet of sponge, nothing more. The frame with the screw mounts was weak, so I had to use rubber gromets and ended up using cable ties. Even when they are washed the black colour comes out like some dye. Someone bought it from frozencpu and crazy pc via an importer, and pretty much ended up being the same case. No- the dust does not come easily when dusted away. I ditched it and replaced with a plastic mesh from an ac shop using the same plastic frame and it was much better.

Now I changed the case to the one with a similar (mesh type plastic filter) air filter with a preattached plastic panel for 2x 140mm fans for the fronts.

Thanks for the link buddy. Went to my nearby air-conditioner shop to search for it, but they don't have any knowledge of it :(

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Out of curiosity, which case is it?
Its pretty odd that an ac repair shop says they don't have knowledge of it :p since its installed in air conditioners >_>. Either this is the choice or get it from sidewinder computers. If you want, you can try and ask in places where they install vents air conditioners for offices and business centres. In any case, this material is accessible.

FYI, you are not supposed to use vacuum cleaners on any of the hardware as it generates static. Use isopropyl alcohol with 90% alcohol content to clean the heatsinks and the thermal paste, good old fashioned non static brush and can of compressed air instead.

If you are going to follow the "oh so far I haven't had any problem when I used my vacuum cleaner so I will keep on using it" philosophy, some drugged dimwitted illiterate idiots also claim that they didn't get any diseases from drinking dirty water, eating street food, not having bath and eating raw meat. If you think about it, the philosophy and the type of people implementing it are the same :)

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
Out of curiosity, which case is it?
Its pretty odd that an ac repair shop says they don't have knowledge of it :p since its installed in air conditioners >_>. Either this is the choice or get it from sidewinder computers. If you want, you can try and ask in places where they install vents air conditioners for offices and business centres. In any case, this material is accessible.

FYI, you are not supposed to use vacuum cleaners on any of the hardware as it generates static. Use isopropyl alcohol with 90% alcohol content to clean the heatsinks and the thermal paste, good old fashioned non static brush and can of compressed air instead.

If you are going to follow the "oh so far I haven't had any problem when I used my vacuum cleaner so I will keep on using it" philosophy, some drugged dimwitted illiterate idiots also claim that they didn't get any diseases from drinking dirty water, eating street food, not having bath and eating raw meat. If you think about it, the philosophy and the type of people implementing it are the same :)

I am using CM 690. I went to LG electronic shop where they sais that they don't keep filters separately, I have to visit company for that thing. I will visit an Air Conditioner shop. But what exactly should I ask for?? The link that you gave me is fine, but will those things be available with them??

I just use the blower of vaccume cleaner to get rid of dust that is mounted inside the case in the edges of MOBO, wire and fans. I don't use it on heat sink or paste. In fact i purchased my PC last year on august and in september I removed my stock heat sink and replaced it with TRUE (Thermal Right Ultra Extreme) 120. Since then I have'nt claen my CPU yet. Wher can I get isopropyl alcohol from??

Thanks anyways

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I am using CM 690. I went to LG electronic shop where they sais that they don't keep filters separately, I have to visit company for that thing.
That's because I told you to go to a repair shop. Retail shops will obviously not have them and service centres will have the entire panel rather than the material.
I will visit an Air Conditioner shop. But what exactly should I ask for?? The link that you gave me is fine, but will those things be available with them??

The Sorcerer said:
Just ask for air filter sheets/material/cloth :-\

I just use the blower of vaccume cleaner to get rid of dust that is mounted inside the case in the edges of MOBO, wire and fans.
As I said, dont use vaccum cleaner. Overhaul your system, use brush and compressed air can. If you can get that, get a bulb hand air pump:
*images.marketworks.com/hi/51/51407/kit-9413.jpg
I don't use it on heat sink or paste.
And just to spoil any curiosity, you're not supposed to. I was giving you basic instructions on what to use to clean the system.
In fact i purchased my PC last year on august and in september I removed my stock heat sink and replaced it with TRUE (Thermal Right Ultra Extreme) 120.
I hope you changed the TIM as well. Its always a good practice to remove the old TIM from the hsf and the processor, apply a new TIM, even if you remove it for a second. Any small dust can damage the thermal efficiency of the paste and/or make it static, depending on the contents of the paste and its reaction with the dust. Putting a new coat of thermalpaste over the used one will pretty much could do the same thing, whether the TIM is same or not.

Since then I have'nt claen my CPU yet. Wher can I get isopropyl alcohol from??
Chemist shops. They also call it rubbing alcohol. No drinking alcohol, no nail polish remover and what not. You get artic cleaner but you get a very small bottle and it does the same job as IPA.
If you want detailed instructions with pictures for TIM application and deoxydising if needed, refer to this link: *bit.ly/64iPIJ

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Thread is locked, usually all original guides made by the users are. But the discussion thread is created for guides and the link is put up at the bottom of the guide.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@OP:
Yea, even I have the CM690, and stay in South Delhi. Dust just gets to the system. Even the metal mesh is covered with dust. Really irritating.

There is a shop in Nehru place, which have these special blowers (small ones), which can be used to clean the computer. It is the 1st upper level on the entry from Paras Cinema. Right side wing. You can give that a try.

Yea, even I will try for the a/c vent material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom