Dual monitor for Windows, but access Ubuntu also on one monitor

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guys,

I have been given 2 PC, 2 monitor, 2 keyboard and 2 mouse in my office. One system runs Windows 7 and the other runs on Ubuntu.

I have seen a colleague who uses both the monitors for Windows. And whenever he requires, he gets Ubuntu on one monitor by using some keyboard shortcut.
I'm not sure how he does that. Any clues?

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
Looks like he's connected both screens to one PC & uses it in Extended desktopn mode & runs Ubuntu in a VM

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hi guys,

I have been given 2 PC, 2 monitor, 2 keyboard and 2 mouse in my office. One system runs Windows 7 and the other runs on Ubuntu.

I have seen a colleague who uses both the monitors for Windows. And whenever he requires, he gets Ubuntu on one monitor by using some keyboard shortcut.
I'm not sure how he does that. Any clues?

there is no harm is asking him how he does that.. :) .. may be he might just call you noob :p

EDIT: he might be using a KVM (may be hardware or software based)

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
there is no harm is asking him how he does that.. :) .. may be he might just call you noob :p

EDIT: he might be using a KVM (may be hardware or software based)

"may be he might just call you noob" -> Precisely the reason I don't want to ask him. You got me there though :p

"he might be using a KVM" -> Even the IT guy suggested that it requires a KVM or graphics card. He is using some external hardware from where both the monitors are connected. It is the size of a smartphone. I think it's KVM, but not sure.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
"may be he might just call you noob" -> Precisely the reason I don't want to ask him. You got me there though :p

"he might be using a KVM" -> Even the IT guy suggested that it requires a KVM or graphics card. He is using some external hardware from where both the monitors are connected. It is the size of a smartphone. I think it's KVM, but not sure.

I think its KVM only, things have changed a lot and so would have KVM's, I haven't checked on it in ages. if possible sneak into his cubicle and have a look at the device and take a snap of that.

previous gen KVM's used mechanical/manual switches to switch between systems, but things have progressed towards software based ones also.. but im not in touch with them :(

Top Bottom