Dual core CPU - Temp ~85 - Restarting

amjath

Human Spambot
My friends Dual Core PC running Win XP restarting before "Welcome" screen shows

I did few things but no success

1. Last good configuration - fail
2. Boot in safe mode - fail
3. Boot into Bios and checked CPU temp shows ~85
4. Removed cooler cleaned and re applied CPU heat sink. Boot into bios same temp at ~85 [Since it is a simple setup and stock cooler so applied local heatsink]

Other things checked
1. All cables checked
2. Changed his PSU and checked - Fail

PS: His mobo 915/945 I guess RMAed recently

Any help

quicky008

Technomancer
What do u mean by you applied a "local heatsink"?Cheap and unbranded heatsinks are unreliable and are likely to cause the CPU to overheat- if you are indeed using any such heatsink,I'd suggest you get rid of it ASAP and use the HSF that was bundled by intel with the processor.Before mounting the heatsink you should apply a thin layer of good quality TIM(thermal interface material)onto the cpu's heat spreader to improve the heat dissipation.And please make sure that the power connector of the cpu fan has been properly connected to the appropriate header on the motherboard and that the fan is working properly.

And btw whats the make and model of his cpu and motherboard?

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
Fan is working properly it shows around 2300 as fan rpm in bios. So I want to change tim asap. I reapplied just to check whether its Tim problem. But temp is same before and after. But I was sure to re apply after I troubleshoot.
So u say it is only cause of Tim.

BTW shall I use the Tim which came with my cooler master 212 evo.

quicky008

Technomancer
BTW shall I use the Tim which came with my cooler master 212 evo.
You can certainly use it-if it still doesn't work,try testing the cpu on another motherboard to see whether the problem persists.

(p.s.-while his machine is powered on,touch the metallic region of the heatsink in order to get a feel of the actual temperature,if the cpu is really at 83 degrees celcius,it should be piping hot;however if u find that its only moderately warm then its quite possible that the bios is not reporting the accurate temperature and something is wrong with the motherboard itself)

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
BTW the board is recently RMAed u read it

You have mentioned that your friend owns a 915/945 chipset based board-if that's the case then it must be over 5-6 years old and is already out of warranty.So I don't understand how he could have RMA'd it recently as it most likely doesn't have any warranty remaining.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
You have mentioned that your friend owns a 915/945 chipset based board-if that's the case then it must be over 5-6 years old and is already out of warranty.So I don't understand how he could have RMA'd it recently as it most likely doesn't have any warranty remaining.

he paid it to get repaired, then it doesnt mean RMA is it?

that doesn't mean that the board is problem free

first heat sink checking then have to check on Mobo

quicky008

Technomancer
he paid it to get repaired, then it doesnt mean RMA is it?

first heat sink checking then have to check on Mobo

No,the term RMA applies only to products that the manufacturer is obligated to repair or replace free of charge within the warranty period.

Looks like the technicians who serviced the board didn't do a very good job-they seem to have compounded the problems tenfold instead of resolving them.Which version of windows are you using?Try booting the pc into linux using a live distro such as Ubuntu/Fedora etc and observe the system's behaviour for a while-if it still restarts randomly then there is definitely an issue with the motherboard or CPU(but I'm assuming that the CPU was working fine earlier and therefore i think the fault lies with the motherboard itself).

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
No,the term RMA applies only to products that the manufacturer is obligated to repair or replace free of charge within the warranty period.

Looks like the technicians who serviced the board didn't do a very good job-they seem to have compounded the problems tenfold instead of resolving them.Which version of windows are you using?Try booting the pc into linux using a live distro such as Ubuntu/Fedora etc and observe the system's behaviour for a while-if it still restarts randomly then there is definitely an issue with the motherboard or CPU(but I'm assuming that the CPU was working fine earlier and therefore i think the fault lies with the motherboard itself).

its running XP, but with the cold boot into bios itself showing high temp.

Top Bottom