Dual Channel RAM (Second Set)

Status
Not open for further replies.

godblessedson

Broken In
Dear Friends

I am building a Athlon 64 (939 pin) 3000+ with MSI RS 480 mobo. Presently I am going to use 2 X 256 MB 400 Mhz (identical in terms of frquency, model etc etc or everything) RAM in 2 memory slots (out of 4 available) to enable dual channel memory (with installatiion of RAM in proper slot as per motherboard guide). In case in future I need to upgrade to 1 GB or higher with dual channel memory then is it necessary to use other 2 RAM sticks identical to existing stick (in terms of everything). Further if I use a 3rd RAM stick only and no 4th one what would be ultimate fate of total memory? weather all memory will operate as single channel or 2 existing sticks as dual chanel and third with as single channel?

THank you

......Woman Love for love, man love for making love.............

AcceleratorX

Youngling
1)It is not required that you use the same brand and same type of RAM chip when you upgrade your RAM, but doing so will result in somewhat better memory performance.

2)If you use 3 RAM sticks, two will function as dual channel and one will be single channel.

rajeshgovindan2005

Growing Marijuana !
Sorry for digging an old post...

But in my situation, I am already having 2 X 512MB(667MHz). And I am planning to put another 2GB (667 MHz)

Is it advisable to put 1 X 2GB or 2 X 1GB...

I am having 4 Memory Slots in total...

if u want to maintain the dual channel config ... then u should use 2 X 1 GB sticks. and if u want to leave the upgrade path open, then go with one 1 x 2 GB stick so that one slot will remain free for future upgrade. As Dual channel dsnt make much difference in day to day work, and 5-10% at max in gaming.

Choice is urs.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup, rightly said, btw, its better to go for 2x1GB and use all the 4 slots (coz, if he is using a 32 bit os) then it will recognise jus a max of 3GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom