Dual Booting Windows XP n Fedora Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

desmond_315

Broken In
hey guys..i hope ul can help me out here..
i initially had windows xp installed on one hard disk..recently i bought another hard disk, set the new hard disk as the primary master and put the one with windows xp as the slave...i installed linux fedora core 5 on the new hard disk...while installin during grub setup it detected the windows os as "other" n i selected it to be an option during bootup..however now when i startup n select windows xp to boot i get a display-booting windows xp,rootnoverify(hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
this is my entry in the grub.conf file...is it right...do i have to edit it...also my windows xp located on the slave is in the first partion but is in the folder /WIND n not the normal /windows is this causin a problem...please help..

Sykora

I see right through you.
Yes, you will have to edit it.

add the following 2 lines to your grub.conf, just before the rootnoverify statement:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

As long as your BIOS is pointing to your linux hard disk, it's fine, and this should work.

Just to make sure, my grub.conf looks like this:

Code:
title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2122_FC5)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5.img
title Windows XP Professional
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        chainloader +1

Sykora

I see right through you.
I suppose most people would put up a message saying "Don't put up thanks messages -- add to my reputation using the thanks button". I guess I'd better as well.

Windows is very narrow minded. It always thinks that it's the first and only operating system on your computer, and as such, takes som short cuts. If you install linux, you come and mess up all its preparations. Those 2 lines basically made grub fool windows into thinking that it is the only operating system on the disk, thus letting it boot in its ignorance, blissfully.

P.S: It's nice to see that there are people who still want to know why, rather than just the how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom