Dual boot ubuntu with windows 8

Pranav Prakash

Broken In
I installed ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside widows 8 recently. After completing the installation my laptop directly booted into windows 8 and there was no sign of ubuntu. after that I used easy bcd to add ubuntu to add it to boot menu. I got option to start ubuntu. I selected that option but after that it showed an error which read something like' install cd for repair - there might be some with the file blah blah'. So i reinstalled ubuntu with custom installation but still it didn't work. I tried all those boot repair in ubuntu but still no result. If anyone there can help pleaseeeeeeeeeee help :cry:
My laptop is hp pavilion g6 2202tx, with uefi.
 

Vignesh B

Youngling
Give this a read. You should have a 64-bit installer to install in EFI mode. You may also need to disable quick boot from the BIOS.
 

Ascendant001

Super Moderator
Staff member
welcome to the new world of UEFI bios.i first faced this bios about a week ago with a friend's G6-2230TX & after spending ~2 hours learned about all there is to know about such bios.first hp G-6 series(in my experience) gives priority to UEFI over MBR/old/normal bios meaning any 64-bit OS will automatically install by partitioning the hdd using GPT style instead of the usual MBR style.if you use usb to install windows 7/8 then again it will fail because usb tool by default format usb in NTFS & UEFI bios only reads from FAT format drives.easyBCD has lots of issues in UEFI & only the latest version(2.2 or later) supports UEFI & any version before that will corrupt your UEFI boot entries.long story short if you don't know about UEFI bios & trying to install any OS other than windows 7/8(64bit) then stop right there & spend time reading about it on both windows & linux/ubuntu forums.
 
Top Bottom