Dropped external hdd

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

I bought a 2tb wd my passport hdd about 2 months back. I slipped yesterday, injured almost every part of mine. I was carrying the hdd to some other room and unfortunately it fell down, first to a small table and then to the floor. Now I tried inserting the usb wire, but the smaller part of the wire wasn't going in. Tried to adjust the port with a screwdriver with little force but it didn't work. In the end said fck you my kismat and adjusted it with the wire itself and I was able to forcefully insert the wire in the port. The hdd is bruised up pretty bad. I can view the contents in the pc, haven't tried copy pasting anything yet. What are my best options? I am not taking out the wire out of the hdd till the time I can have a permanent solution to this. Here is the Crystaldisk info report
External HDD.jpg

Should I use WD's lifeguard tool to generate a report?

@whitestar_999 @patkim @sling-shot

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No SMART parameters damage but there should have been some physical damage from such a fall.Keep the cable plugged in hdd & copy/backup/upload all important data to some other place first.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
No SMART parameters damage but there should have been some physical damage from such a fall.Keep the cable plugged in hdd & copy/backup/upload all important data to some other place first.

copy data as soon as possible.

Don't trust the HDD anymore. And no data write to it.

Thank you, will try to copy as soon as I am able to get out of the bed. Is there any software which can access the physical damage? Should I run the WD diagnostic test or anything else?
Many people who have damaged their external drives, converted them to an internal drive using some kinda dock. Recommended? I only want to use it for as long as possible.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No software to assess physical damage,RMA for a working hdd can only be initiated if any SMART parameter fails.

WD portable hdd are soldered to usb bridge so not possible to open the case(which voids the warranty anyway) & take out hdd to use as internal hdd.Seagate portable hdd can be taken out like this but again warranty void plus in your case it won't matter as hdd suffered physical shock(aka if your luck is good it may keep working but if not then no matter how you use it will fail).

P.S. any fracture?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
No software to assess physical damage,RMA for a working hdd can only be initiated if any SMART parameter fails.

WD portable hdd are soldered to usb bridge so not possible to open the case(which voids the warranty anyway) & take out hdd to use as internal hdd.Seagate portable hdd can be taken out like this but again warranty void plus in your case it won't matter as hdd suffered physical shock(aka if your luck is good it may keep working but if not then no matter how you use it will fail).

P.S. any fracture?
Thanks. I will try their WD lifeguard tool to verify it once because WD doesn't consider SMART shit. They only believe in their own software.

Na bhai bach geya, bas zameen mein gola ho geya ;) thanks for asking.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
WD tool also checks SMART parameters besides other things(but still unless they put some proprietary sensor for assessing physical damage inside their hdd I doubt their tool can also do it).

That was lucky,health is wealth after all.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
PFA
E Test.jpg
After Test.png
Quick Test.jpg
WDD 1.jpg
WDD.jpg

I can hear crack sounds when I press the hdd on the sides. Inserting usb cable is a mess, its port will go away I think.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then I guess no choice but take chance & hope it will last at least till its warranty is over(keep the cable plugged in,in fact just attach it to desktop & think of it as an internal hdd never to be removed).

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
i also dropped my wd 2tb hdd now its not showing in file manager what should i do i have some data in it ,its showing device is working fine in device manager but in file manager nothing.What software do i use to check hdd

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use crystaldiskinfo free which will confirm if hdd is working correctly at least on software level,if it shows ok then use some data recovery software like Recuva to scan the hdd.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Use crystaldiskinfo free which will confirm if hdd is working correctly at least on software level,if it shows ok then use some data recovery software like Recuva to scan the hdd.
its not showing in crystaldisk also, only my laptop hdd drives partition is showing (c: and d)

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
contacted a data recovery company they are asking for 500rs charge for fist checking the drive and later upto 5000-7000rs charge for recovery depends on how recoverable.
lol
I don't think that WD would rma without running a test with their WDLG tool first. Sorry about this brother.

Top Bottom