Doubts abt cpu-z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalyan

Journeyman
Hi all..

>Recently, I used cpu-z 1.41 to know the status of my pc. all the details were ok but it shows my RAM frequency is of 400MHz. while mine is a 1GB Transcend 800MHz DDR2 RAM. It is a single stick. Does running in single channel mode set it to 400MHz? or does it change like the cpu usage%?

>My friend bought a new Lappy (I dont remember the model no. but it is from Compaq). it has a Core 2 duo 1.7GHz proccy, 2GB 667 MHz RAM etc...
We ran the cpu-z 1.41 in the lappy also and got the core freq of proccy as 798MHz. and the RAM freq as 333MHz(something near to that..). The dxdiag and the sys info shows that the proccy is of 1.73GHz. Why is the sw showing it as 798MHz?

>The same sw is showing core freq of my pc(mine is desktop with AMD 5600+). as 2800MHz. Why is this happening. Please somebody explain..

>My friend is worried. Does he need to go to the service center?

>He tried to install Windows Vista through vmware. It says that the processor is not compatible with 64 bit os. Isnt Core2duo 64 bit? or is it the issue with the vmware? He said he would try to install it directly. I shall post what happened then..

Thanks in advance..

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Many Processors these days have technologies like SpeedStep (Intel) or Cool&Quiet (AMD).

They reduce the clock speed when the Processor is Idle/Is not doing resource-intensive tasks to Save Power and keep the Processor Cool.

Try running a Benchmarking S/w in the background and check the Speed of your friend's Laptop again!

(If your PC is showing correct Clock speed, then you have not installed the AMD Cool and Quiet Drivers)

AFAIK, A 64bit OS can only be installed on VMWare, Only if VMWare is running on a 64bit OS. (i.e. You can install XP 64bit ed on VMWare running on Vista 64bit)

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman
Thanks abt the reply..

I installed AMD Cool & Quiet. but I got one doubt. My proccy fan came with a 3pin connector to the motherboard but the motherboard had a 4pin connector for the processor fan. But the fan connector was insertible though, leaving the 4th pin idle. Recently, my friend bought the same processor (AMD 5600+) and now, this one got a 4 pin connector with the cpu fan. Does this mean anything? I installed the cool and quiet drivers but does having the 4th pin make any difference? Is there any way I could connect a fourth wire to the cpu fan manually and have the functionality or is there anything I could do? Its been 4 months since I bought my pc. Does going to the service center get me a cpu fan with 4pins from AMD? and does the 4th pin make any difference?

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Ha ha ha.
No offense
Guys guys.
The actual speed of my e6550 C2D is 333Mhz.Multiply it with 7 and you get the theoretical clock speed which is 2.33Ghz.
7 is the multiplier(The number of cycles per clock).
Similarly u multiply ram with 2 for DDR-II to get 800Mhz.

:D

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman
The actual speed of my e6550 C2D is 333Mhz.Multiply it with 7 and you get the theoretical clock speed which is 2.33Ghz.

OK. if that's so, Why does my pc show the clock speed of 2800MHz and the multiplier is x14 (or x16 I dont remember clearly.)

This is the screenshot of the pc I am typing in. it shows me a clock speed of 2009.4MHz with a multiplier of x10. Why is this so? does this cpu run at 2009*10 = 20GHz????? Please clear..

PS: And any help on my second post abt My processor fan?

Last edited:

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
BUS Speed(actual processor speed)*multiplier=Theoretical* Clock speed.

Specifications are subject to change for any hardware.
Look at your mobos manual for information on the 4th pin.It might be GND[ground]

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman
The mobo has a 4 pin slot whereas my cpu fan has only 3 pin connector. My friend has recently bought the same proccy but he now has a 4 pin connector with the cpu fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom