Status
Not open for further replies.

mumble

Broken In
My config is:
Intel 865gbf mobo
P4 2.4
DDR400 1 gb
80 gb ide (doubt whether it is ide or sata, how can i find it is sata or ide?) the code is samsung sp0802n

hdd (mobo shows sata 150 hdd support)
1. I would like to buy a 500gb seagate sata II hdd 16/32 mb buffer. Will it run in this mobo? What does sata 150 mean?
2. Can I use both the hdds at a time, ie both ide and sata II?

grafix card (mobo shows agp 8x grafix interface and it has 6 pci slots)
1. Can I add grafix card to this mobo?
2. If so, which type. is it possible to add in pci slots? (im weak in this :D) what is that pci express 2 and all? and what is agp slot for?
3. Up to what level of gfx card i can go for with this mobo? 8600 or 8800 or 9800 is my plan.
4. If I can use, does the gfx card cause any mismatch with the cpu?

lcd monitor
1. Is there any preset resolutions in lcd monitor using buttons. ie 1024x 768 to 1440x900 or so? to switch bw gaming and word processing fastly. ie in 1024 x 768 mode, the extreme sides must be black screen, to avoid eye strain while near to monitor. (got it?)
2. Would like to go for a 19" one. Which one to go for, samsung or dell? which model is gud in medium budget. (which update the choice of monitor models shortly)
3. Should I get response time below 5 ms? What is the significance of contrast ratio, which is better contrast ratio for gaming? Any other criteria to look for?
4. Is there any use of DVI and HTMI in near future?

the questionaire is big, :D

Last edited:

bhadkow

Broken In
My config is:
Intel 865gbf mobo
P4 2.4
DDR400 1 gb
80 gb ide (doubt whether it is ide or sata, how can i find it is sata or ide?) the code is samsung sp0802n

1. I would like to buy a 500gb seagate sata II hdd 16/32 mb buffer. Will it run in this mobo? What does sata 150 mean?

2. If so, which type. is it possible to add in pci slots? (im weak in this :D) what is that pci express 2 and all? and what is agp slot for?
3. Up to what level of gfx card i can go for with this mobo? 8600 or 8800 or 9800 is my plan.

lcd monitor
1. Is there any preset resolutions in lcd monitor using buttons. ie 1024x 768 to 1440x900 or so? to switch bw gaming and word processing fastly. ie in 1024 x 768 mode, the extreme sides must be black screen, to avoid eye strain while near to monitor. (got it?)
2. Would like to go for a 19" one. Which one to go for, samsung or dell? which model is gud in medium budget. (which update the choice of monitor models shortly)
3. Should I get response time below 5 ms? What is the significance of contrast ratio, which is better contrast ratio for gaming? Any other criteria to look for?

the questionaire is big, :D

hi mate one of pcs got a p4-3ghz- 2cpu prossy n 865g mobo!!
well u can add a sata hdd 2 dat mobo mines' got a sata ports.... s u can use both ide n sata hdds at da same time.... no worries.... bigger storage hdds with ur config wil definitely slow ur pc!!!! so go 4 smaller versions.
n well der types of slots agp n pcie which are stil alive..., agp r old n der rn't much options for an agp graphic card ....., well i,ve got 1 nvidia 6200 series pretty gud...., cost around 2.5k but u vil not find 1st hands!!!!!! so change da mobo n prossy if u want 2 go 4 gaming! afaik der rn't any buttons on da scr for changin resolutions! change it in da xp properties wen u need...., swapping btw 2 resolutions takes time n vth ur prossy its a bad idea!!
dell has got cool betr 19" scrnd so try them...., dvi ports r for digital n not all lcds come vth it...., n 'hdmi' is definitely da future mate.........!
dont get me wrong but ur config is old...., even i changed mine 3 days back but still using it ...., it does most of da jobs xcept gamin!!!! so choice is urs. :)

ps: u can't marry old pieces vth new 1ns mate..., parts change coz of diff builds!!

all da best upgradin...., n u cant add pcie slots 2 dat mobo btr get a new 1

nmenon

Broken In
On a D865GBF the best you may get is a GeForce 6200 which works on AGP, PCI-Express X16 is the newer graphics card slot on new boards, it is the next gen of AGP . The SATA HDD will work on it. If you want to play most new games you'll be better off going for a new system completely. Investment depends on your needs. Around Rs 25k (for the CPU Mobo RAM GFX card and HDD) will get you a system that will get along with most games at lower resolutions i.e 1024x768 etc.

OP
M

mumble

Broken In
if i add Seagate Sata 2 500GB (16 MB Buffer) with the above config. as said above dat it ll reduce speed. will i get the speed dat im gettin right nw with my ide hdd 80gb or considerably low dan dat?
any choice of other brand hdd?

wud like to buy dell SE198WFP for the time being as my crt is cryin. the max resolution i get in dis lcd with the above config will be 1024x768 na, which im having rt nw wit my crt?
i can use the lcd in 1024x768 resolution til i upgrade de sys. will the 1024x768 resolution of SE198WFP in above config cause any distortion or any other probs?

so 8600 gfx card wont work in my mobo? :(:(:(:(

(rt nw my crt is ....., so wanna buy a lcd soon, but gonna upgrade rest of sys in 6 months only, so can use lcd with new one, dats de plan..)

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
1.) No, ur Mobo will NOT support SATA-II it will only support SATA-I and IDE
(REASON: coz i also hv the same motherboard :) )
2.) U can use ONLY IDE and SATA-I Simultaneously and NOT SATA-II as it is NOT supported by ur mobo :) but beware that transfer b/w ide-sata-I will be slow as ide is a slower interface than sata..

2. If so, which type. is it possible to add in pci slots? (im weak in this ) what is that pci express 2 and all? and what is agp slot for?
1.) Yes, u can add ONLY an AGP graphics card on ur mobo (say nVIDIA ge Force series of graphics card wich are jus AGPs and NOT PCI-e (express) )
2.) Same as above..agp stands for accelrated graphics port and it is used for Graphics, i.e for adding a dedicated graphics card so that ur on board (in built) gpu chip does NOT eat up ur RAM's (16MB) memory
also, agp is slower then pci-e.. google for the same.. :)
3.) ge force cards from nVIDIA wich are AGP are supported by this mobo
(I hv an nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 256 MB AGP card installed) :)
4.) the gfx card will NOT cause any mismatch with the cpu till its an AGP :)
lcd monitor
1.) yes there are buttons available on the monitor to help u switch b/w the various resolutions..but it is preferable to set the resolutions from the display properties.
2.) Go for Samsung SyncMaster 920 NW, its a 19" LCD monitor and has 2ms response time (not sumthing that wud matter to many of us..) :)
3.) FOr gaming, the reso is set by the game itself also, if u hv a dedicated agp card (in ur agp slot on ur mobo) the monitor and the game itself will be able to display the games at higher (more crisper) resolutions.. :) for that mobo, the reso of each game will differ.. but for normal viewing, 1440x900 is the BEST.. :)
(I usually play all my latest games with a GeForce 7600 GS 256 MB AGP card) on a reso of 1024x768.. on this mobo of mine (865 gbf):)
------------

Cheers n e-peace...

OP
M

mumble

Broken In
1.)
(I usually play all my latest games with a GeForce 7600 GS 256 MB AGP card) on a reso of 1024x768.. on this mobo of mine (865 gbf):)
Cheers n e-peace...

is geforce 7600 the farthest i can go in agp in my mobo?
does dis gfx need extra power? or is it ok with my default 300w smps?
can i connect 2 ide hhd's simultaneously?

thnx for de rpy

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Well i dnt knw wat is the farthest u can go in agp,

but I hv this agp card on my mobo.. and yes,

ur 300W SMPS is jus NOT sufficient for that card (as it needs power via its own power cord sonnected with the SMPS) or ur 2 HDDs... better get a 450W SMPS as that is the Minimum SMPS rating needed by the AGP card.. :) and also to be on the safer side by having extra power for ur 2 HDDs... :)

OP
M

mumble

Broken In
cant buy sata 2
agp only gfx, limited gfx
all added up, its better to buy a new sys it seems rather than addin ide hdd n agp gfx.. :rolleyes:

Plz suggest me a gud intel processor (c2d or qc) n intel mobo (both within 15k) for gaming, which does not need upgrade for near future.
it must support high-end gfx cards like 9800, 4850, etc. Read from somewhr dat some c2d or qc proccy not suitable for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom