Doubt regarding lettering of hard drives

ajai5777

Youngling
I bought a new 500 GB HDD and I need to increase the size of my Games installed folder.If I copy whole files to another big drive and letter the drive as the old one, will the games work..?

Kniwor

Learner
The games will work exactly as they do right now. But try to do this in safe mode, reason- some games may have services running and might update links when you move the folders or some such stupid thing. Do it in same mode and you are good to go, and there's no need for reinstalling anything.

Press F8 during boot to go in safe mode.

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling
I have done it and all the games worked perfect.Games were moved from a 50GB drive to a 100GB drive.Only thing I lost is the volume settings for each game in windows 7 :smile:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I bought a new 500 GB HDD and I need to increase the size of my Games installed folder.If I copy whole files to another big drive and letter the drive as the old one, will the games work..?

A crude way to do it, but yes it will work. You will get warped registery entries, and a bloated system. Best is to uninstall, and install on the new file-path.

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling
I have done the same for C drive.My C drive was so small before (30GB)
I took a backup of C and restored to a 60GB drive.

rkneo11

Broken In
I have done the same for C drive.My C drive was so small before (30GB)
I took a backup of C and restored to a 60GB drive.

I am surprised it worked as usually the OS keeps a track of the HDD serial no. on which it is installed.

Top Bottom