Don’t Buy Hdtv Before U Read This

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
Hi guys
Very recently I was in market with my colleague for finding him a DECENT HDTV………………..HDTV..................HDTV: this is the word where hell brakes out for ignorant buyers courtesy of a$$ hole dealers (who just love to cheat buyers) > coupled with misleading & incomplete specifications on part of manufacturers.

What I learnt was a sorrow experience on part of ignorant buyers.ok; let me explain in detail..........

I have seen many people are really confused regarding resolutions of HDTV’s....words like hd ready, full hd & misleading specifications really add to their misery....

Look here
First example philips 32" LCD HD Ready32TA1600/98

*www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/tree/en/in/consumer/tv_gr_in_consumer/flat_tv_ca_in_consumer/consumer__rs_features_tv__r_tv_crystal_clear/ce/_productId_32TA1600_98_IN_CONSUMER/widescreen_flat_TV+32TA1600_98

Picture/Display
Display screen type : LCD WXGA Active Matrix TFT
Panel resolution : 1366 x 768p

Supported Display Resolution
Computer formats : 640 x 480, 60Hz, 800 x 600, 56, 60Hz, 1024 x 768, 60Hz, 1280 x 720, 60Hz, 1280 x 768, 60Hz
Video formats : 480i, 60Hz, 480p, 60Hz, 576i, 50Hz, 576p, 50Hz, 720p, 60Hz, 1080i, 60Hz

Now this information specifies that this panel can ACCEPT input upto 1080i(1920x1080) but CAN ONLY DISPLAY IT UPTO 1366 x 768p... ie the Panel resolution.......here the internal processor of tv would process and convert 1080i to the internal scan circuits of the TV i.e. Panel resolution so all 1080i HD is down converted before displaying......this is the trick......so what u see is best 1366 x 768p on this set

Take another example

Philips Stereo TV with Pixel Plus 29"real flat HD Ready 29PT8836/94

*www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/tree/en/in/consumer/tv_gr_in_consumer/consumer__rs_screen_size__r_medium/consumer__rs_features_tv__r_tv_pixel_plus/ce/_productId_29PT8836_94_IN_CONSUMER/_activeTab_specifications/stereo_TV+29PT8836_94

Picture/Display
Aspect ratio : 4:3
Panel resolution : NOT MENTIONED???
Display screen type : Real Flat picture tube
Picture enhancement : Contrast Plus, Progressive Scan, Scavem, 3D Combfilter, Active Control Plus, 3:2 pull-down, Black stretch, Color Transient Improvement, Color Temperature Adjustment, Dynamic Noise Reduction, Luminance Transient Improver, Smart Picture, Tint, Pixel Plus

Supported Display Resolution
Video formats : 480p, 60Hz, 720p, 50, 60Hz, 1080i, 60Hz, 1080p, 60Hz

Now guys see THE CUNNING NESS OF PHILIPS this tv set is intended for INDIAN MARKET. In this tv set they even have not cared to mention Panel resolution...........haha really clever.....and they boast it as HD READY .......

this panel can ACCEPT input upto 1080p (1920x1080) but it can’t display it as 1080p

here it can accept 1080p information, "Pixel Plus" processor(engine of this tv) would process and convert that to the internal scan circuits of the TV( perhaps this is 768x576 to 1024x768 )....err...philips has not cared to mention it........hell.....hell ...........& damn hell............just screwing buyers...

so next time u go to buy a hdtv ask about Panel resolution not JUST about Supported Display Resolution .

hope it helps anyone..........my aim of writing this post is to make fellow INDIANS aware sure not to deject any owner........

Yours truly Indian
vivek

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
thanks buddy for letting us know i think SONY HDTV r the best

BTW: i had watched a prog. in discovery channel ( might be myth buster )

and they were telling that ordinary CRT r the best in quality and cheap also

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Indians shud nt bother for HDTV for abt 10 years or so. No content is available nor is it gonna come soon.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
:confused: In Chennai I have seen posters that HDDVD and blueray DVD movies are available for rent. Would not watching them require an HDTV?:confused:

praka123

left this forum longback
^for real? :shock: sure it seems chennai gets many stuffs smuggled from Malasia,singapore ;) I remember some burma bazar,paris etc etc,hmm.

dabster

In the zone
kumarmohit said:
Indians shud nt bother for HDTV for abt 10 years or so. No content is available nor is it gonna come soon.

what?? seems you are completely unaware of the the Movies available on DVD's and Many other downloadable materials( series- prison break and many)...

goobimama

 Macboy
what?? seems you are completely unaware of the the Movies available on DVD's and Many other downloadable materials( series- prison break and many)...
DVDs look crap on an HDTV. And unless you are willing to download 1.3GB per episode of prison break, those HDTVrips aren't going to look any good either.

The only content for HDTV in India right now is the XBox 360 or PS3 or maybe you come to goobimama's house and take home some HD movies...:)

But I'm intrigued as to these places selling Bluray movies and such. How much does each disc cost I must ask?

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
I would like to add to this post the difference between HDTV and HDReady lables that you people may encounter while buying the set.

These two lables can be quite confusing also.

HDReady : Indicates a set which is capable of accepting HD signals from a SET Top box or a HD DVD or BluRay Player. It is not able to caputure HD signals transmitted over-the-air .

HDTV : Same as HDReady but is able to caputure and display HD signals transmitted over-the-air.

Since in India we dont get HD Signals over-the-air so it makes no sense to get a HDTV. A HDReady TV would be suited fine for the Indian market.

Also as HDTV includes a tuner it becomes significantly costlier than its HDReady counterpart.

Hope this information comes in use to those planning to buy an HD Set...:):)

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Indians are still treated as ignorant & 4th grade buyers, sad but true & it happens all across the product line not only IT related.

OP
vivekbabbudelhi

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
Glad to see my country men are awaking to the situation...................i would love to write more here

I know full hd ie1920x1080 Panel resolution HDTV’s cost more than a bomb for most Indian homes............but people love to have a full hd (1080p Panel resolution) with them.............but sad it remains a dream....perhaps I can help those guys.....

Now in market 26” 1366 x 768p Panel resolution HD ready TV is priced at 35k.......these are mostly S-IPS or S-PVA panels............

Now focus on what im trying to impress....according to me spending 35k on 26” 1366 x 768p Panel resolution S-IPS or S-PVA monitor is not a value for money in terms of features........

Look at this dell 24” monitor

*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/2407wfp-hc?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd

this monitor has 1920x1200 Panel resolution its really a 24"WS Samsung S-PVA panel ,has Brightness of 400cd/m2 , Contrast Ratio of 1000:1, Horizontal & Vertical Viewing Angle of 178°, has Analog, DVI-D (digital) with HDCP, S-Video, Composite, Component inputs........and priced at 40k.........40k for 24” 1920x1200 Panel resolution Samsung S-PVA panel is great if u compare it with 26” 1366 x 768 Panel resolution S-IPS or S-PVA hd ready tv at 35k..............

pair this 24” 1920x1200 Panel resolution monitor with 5.1 speakers , connect dth stb through composite input or when hd era begins connect hd player to dvi-d (hdcp enabled) input and u have a full hd 1080p beast set up for u.......

even I was tempted for a 26” lcd tv but I ended up buying 22” dell e228wfp 1680x1050 TN panel for 19k for my bedroom and im awating its delivery..........

and yeah im not any dell agent ......im a govt. servant ............:D:D:D

vivek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom