Does Win Xp SP2 Cause Problems On Older Systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pannaguma

Turn The Page
i guess the title says it all. i read it somewhere and didnt upgrade to SP2 for some time.

when i did upgrade, it gave me my first scare when the PC just started crashing on connecting my mp3 player to the USB port. but a new VIA driver did help the problem.

My PC config:
Intel 800Mhz, Intel 815i mobo, 256MB SDRAM, GeForce FX5200.

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
pannaguma said:
My PC config:

ur system meets the minumum requirement required for running the windows xp sp 2 as stated in the microsoft website :
*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx

but i have seen that windows xp sp 2 do have some problem with the cofig. as of yours so i would suggest u to try to run ur sys on windows xp sp 2 for some time ( 1 week or so ) and check whether its working fine or not if not
switch to windows 98

someone correct me if i am wrong

satyamy

Alive Again...
pannaguma said:
My PC config:

I have ran WinXP on this same config for 1 year without any prob
after that I got prob but it was due to my Motherboard

OP
pannaguma

pannaguma

Turn The Page
saurabh kakkar said:
ur system meets the minumum requirement required for running the windows xp sp 2 as stated in the microsoft website :
*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx
thanx for info

saurabh kakkar said:
check whether its working fine or not if not
switch to windows 98
no, i am talking about only Service Pack 2. i have run WIN2k for ~2 yrs and been using XP SP1 for 1.5 yrs. believe me installing XP SP1 gave my system performance a major boost. dont know why. hence there is no question of going back to win 98.:p

i am only asking if there are problems on old configs after installing SERVICE PACK 2. sorry if i didnt make my question clear earlier.

OP
pannaguma

pannaguma

Turn The Page
Vishal Gupta said:
No need to worry buddy, just install SP2. It'll make XP more stable and fast. ;)
i already did install SP2. read my first post.

its just that i remember reading somewhere that SP2 has compatibility probs with old systems. maybe my config is new enough.:D

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
pannaguma said:
i already did install SP2.
its just that i remember reading somewhere that SP2 has compatibility probs with old systems. maybe my config is new enough.:D

hey buddy as i have told u that ur sys meets the minimum requirement to run xp sp 2 .Try to run ur sys on sp 2 for some time or so only then u will be able to know wether SP2 has compatibility probs with old systems like urs or not

ya i can tell u for shure that sp2 do decrease the sys. prformance by about .5% read this :
*forevergeek.com/articles/windows_xp_sp2_vs_sp1_performance_comparison.php

i think u can also contact microsoft people for ur problem

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
pannaguma said:
i already did install SP2. read my first post.

sp2 does not require any new addition of hardware.So,there is no compatible issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom