Does win-Vista better in memory-management than Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
blacklight said:
its a memory hogger ...uses up all the RAM it gets..but having said that ,let me also add that vista is running exactly like its supposed to.If u add another 2 GB RAM, vista will use that up too..the logic behind this is that un utilized RAM is wasted RAM. so it utilizes fully the available RAM.But if u launch another ram hungry app, more memory is allocated to that.
To cut a long story short,upgrading your RAM might not mean u will find RAM utilization at lesser levels ,but it does mean u will get a better and faster vista .
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=503426&postcount=3
^^I have been going through threads saying Vista got better memory management.ie,it completely uses given memory.for eg:Vista recommends 1GB min ram.if u add 2 GB,Vista will use it completely.even Vista readyboost/superfetch? can use usb pen drive to boot fast.
So does Linux kernel at this point supports such a function

*www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/kernel/wmm.mspx
*www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html
*gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management
*linux-mm.org/

eddie

El mooooo
praka123 said:
So does Linux kernel at this point supports such a function
Yes a similar technology is currently available in Kernel since long time. You can check the amount of files prefetched in your RAM by running "free -m" command
Code:
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           972        957         15          0         40        275
-/+ buffers/cache:        641        330
Swap:          768          0        768
As you can see, my 972 MB memory is almost fully used but if you remove the files cached...I have 330 MB free.

As far as using a USB drive as swap file...you can easily do that in Linux by creating a swap partition on your USB drive and using swapon command. Also, afaik we were already discussing in Technology News that superfetch is not providing much performance boost to Vista and in some cases might even reduce the performance.

P.S. I have not read your links but I have presumed that you are talking about Vista using RAM to the full and using USB drive for quick swapping.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
So M$ presents these technologies to the ppl in a glorious way!which is available for Linux? too

eddie

El mooooo
praka123 said:
So M$ presents these technologies to the ppl in a glorious way!which is available for Linux? too
What were you thinking that they actually INNOVATED something huge? :lol:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
eddie said:
What were you thinking that they actually INNOVATED something huge? :lol:

Yup....all the features Windows has were already there in other OS even before they had a proper GUI. It is just that after these features came out in usable form with Windows Vista, Other OS users realized how much they missed by not making it usable previously :D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
gxbabablah said:
Yup....all the features Windows has were already there in other OS even before they had a proper GUI. It is just that after these features came out in usable form with Windows Vista, Other OS users realized how much they missed by not making it usable previously :grin:

Oooooh look! We made a glowing titlebar which is transparent now and suddenly opaque cause you click the maximize! Wow we rule! Other OSes are gonna follow us now.

*img366.imageshack.us/img366/379/saasdfasdfos5.jpg

Aw. Shaddap. An X always closes the window. Glow or not.

eddie

El mooooo
I don't think that memory handling we are talking in here is patented by Linux or any other operating system for that matter so talking about patents in this thread is not relevant :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom