Does RD ram really run at 800 mhz fsb????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzrulz

Broken In
My friend used to own an ancient relic( p4 1.4 ghz). He had bought it when intel had released p4. His MB was the intel 850 series. He had just 128 MB of ram. Something that amazed me was that this RD ram ran at 800 MHz FSB. Even the latest ddr ram runs at 533 mhz fsb.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
yea RD RAMS are capable of that speeds...the thing is they have been de-supported by Intel and were way too expensive. I could get 2 DDR RAMS with dual channels less than the price of one RD RAM.... thats why Intel ditched the support.

theraven

Technomancer
nope and yep !!
:D
ok RDRAM's were CLAIMED to run at those speeds
but never practically gained those speeds
that was one of the main reasons for their downfall ... this was ofcourse AFTER SDRAM was introduced

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
I think RDrams @ 800 were available.......one of my friend has rdram in his system. Poor soul. Actually the bus width is only 16bit for Rd ram which leads to reduced performance.

theraven

Technomancer
ok that does it

RDRAM was pimped by Intel back in the day. This was because RDRAM required a stronger, more complex link between the RAM controller and teh CPU. But intel fuxed their relationship with Rambus and RDRAM died. AMD were more successful in pimping DDR, which is now the standard.

DDR is fundamentally better because it uses a full CPU cycle, ie the rising and falling.

Technically ( READ: TECHNICALLY ) RDRAM is/was faster as it started at 800mhz, whereas DDR's higest JEDEC certified speed is 400mhz.

NOW read and decide for urselves:

*www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reports/1519/1/
*www.a1-electronics.net/Memory/2003/RDRAM.shtml
*www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/27.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom