Does anyone here own a PSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathdart

Broken In
Hey guys,
I bought a Sony Playstation Portable (PSP) last month with a part of the cash I earned through my webdesign business. I currently have only one game for it i.e. Ridge Racer, which is a great game. The graphics and sound quality on the PSP rocks. It's been even better since Sony released the 2.0 firmware update which added a Wallpaper feature and a Web Browser to the PSP (works on Wi-fi giving speeds over 300 KBPS).

However, I begin to wonder, am I the only one on these forums with a PSP? If anyone else here owns a PSP, please post here. Also let me know which games you own for the PSP and which upcoming games you would like to buy. Links to PSP resource sites would also be appreciated.

I'm also up for some Wi-fi based ad-hoc gaming if you're in Pune. :D

EDIT: Visit the following thread to read my review of the PSP - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25922

Regards,
- Deathdart

Hi Deathdart,

Why don't you write a review on the PSP. I had this in my sights for long, but decided against getting one. Also, these links might interest you -

*www.engadget.com/entry/1234000980024404

*www.pspvideo9.com/

*www.videohelp.com/download/NeroRecode2_PSP.pdf

-Keith

OP
D

Deathdart

Broken In
Yeah, it is difficult to find, but the larger shops in your city might have it. You could also buy it from Ebay.in if you like.

@Keith Sebastian: Thanks for the links. :) I hope you change your mind about buying the PSP and go out and get one, because its definitely worth it.

casual_gamer

In the zone
what is the price of psp and where can we get the games? and also is there harddisk to store games on they play directly from cd?

OP
D

Deathdart

Broken In
The PSP costs around Rs. 13,000 in Pune. I bought it from Pyramid in Camp. Games for the PSP are also available there for Rs. 3,000 each. The games are played right off the UMD (Universal Media Disc) and are not required to be installed on a HDD. The PSP's internal memory is 32MB but it is not available for our use, but is utilised as RAM and for storage of settings and firmware data. It also has 4MB of GRAM.

EDIT: I have posted a review of the PSP at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25922 so please visit if interested.

OP
D

Deathdart

Broken In
Yeah? Good luck with that because PSP ROMs are more than 1.5 GB per game. ;) Besides, the games won't look too good anywhere other than on the PSP.

OP
D

Deathdart

Broken In
A phone would have been nice, but it would be too bulky to use. If you have the chance to get hold of a PSP, you will realise that it cannot be made small enough to use as a phone because of the huge LCD display.

KoRn

In the zone
hey guys do u have any idea of a site where i can download a psp emulator and games for free.i jus wanna see how the graphics are on a 128mb graphics card.
BTW:wat r the configs needed for da psp emu.

OP
D

Deathdart

Broken In
There is no PSP emulator currently available, sorry. The graphics will look the same on a 128MB graphics card as they look on the PSP, and believe me, they look great! There's just one drawback, i.e. there's no antialiasing on the PSP so you will many a times notice jaggy edges. If you would like to have a look at PSP games and their screenshots, go to the official PSP site at *www.us.playstation.com/psp.aspx

premrajeev

Journeyman
hey,

why all r sayin about emulators ???::

PSP games are available only on UMD's, so u must get a UMD reader to get it played through an emulator...I dont think DVD roms may be able to read from a umd...The major drawback here is the availability and cost (Rs3000/title ::?:)of games on umd...heck..I know there are many users in this univers who dare to buy a ps2 only bcoz pirated games are available for as low as rs 100(well in the case of india).

u may need lacs of rupees to own those 100 odd title's released for psp then !!!!!!!

OP
D

Deathdart

Broken In
ISOs of the PSP's UMDs are freely available on the internet (see *www.psp-hacks.com ), so you need not necessarily buy a load of UMDs. But for the unfortunate people like me who upgraded their PSP's OS and can no longer play pirated games, there's no other choice.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Well one thing you can be sure of with the PSP is that people wouldnt stop trying to somehow get around with this whole UMD barrier despite rigorous efforts from Sony against piracy. You might be interested in reading this if you havent noticed it before.

domin8r

Journeyman
q3_abhi said:
PSP is a beautiful handheld gaming device. Only if it had phone............

Maybe its good that it does'nt. Look at the monstrosity that is Nokia N-Gage. Its not a gaming device, well not a good one anyway, and you won't find any person who has good taste using it as a phone. What a waste of 10k.

OP
D

Deathdart

Broken In
@Sourabh: Woah, thanks for that bit of news. I hadn't read it before. But I'm not sure whether they will be able to run the homebrew games on PSP 2.0 because they have been trying the same on version 1.52 for a long time and they hadn't been successful at that. Besides, Snoy further tightened the security on ver 2.0. Anyway, this development is a ray of hope for guys like me all over the world :D

@domin8r: I agree completely. A phone wouldn't suit the PSP especially because of its large size.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Just saw this whole updated PSP accessory. Incase you havent seen this, check it out. Worth checking :d
PSP Grip Dock
• Extended game play comfort
• Rechargeable battery pack for extended play time (4 AA)
• Intake fan and handle vent holes for hand cooling
• Rubber inserts with embossed logo grip
• Amplified speakers
• Dual audio headphone ports
• LED Battery level indicator
• AC/DC In port for charging/playing
• DC Adapter included

Pics:

*www.psp411.com/product/psp411_com-product-628-1.jpg*www.psp411.com/product/psp411_com-product-628-2.jpg*www.psp411.com/product/psp411_com-product-628-3.jpg

Source: PSP 411

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom