Do we need sp2 for windows XP???

Do we need sp2 for windows XP???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohanbee

Padawan
I installed SP2 because of info that i got that says that windows has a lot of ports which are open by default. If one is one the internet these openings/ports can be used by hackers/spammers/softwares etc to get info and play havock with our computers.
A lot of firewalls would do the same thing for your system what sp2 does but since it is free downloading with original os why not install it??
At the end of the day it will give you peace of mind and to some extent hassle free usage of the internet.
I think firewalls are as important as a good anti-virus software.

sav_more

Journeyman
if u reglarly use the net sp2 is a must.only antiviruses and firewalls are not enuf.sp2 applies all the patches released by microsoft and secures the system.
so if u use the net and dont want 2 screw ur system INSTALL SP2.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
Godmode said:
SP2 screws some of the softwares like Norton systemworks..some games and stuff...that;s why some ppl are skeptical about installing SP2..

People talk straight to the point rather than saying SP2 is not good...give some real examples

I know atleast 5 ppl in my lan who reinstalled xp after installing sp2 ..
cos it slowed down the comp ..
and obviously if something screws up your comp and makes other softwares go haywire ...
then better not install it

rohanbee said:
I installed SP2 because of info that i got that says that windows has a lot of ports which are open by default. If one is one the internet these openings/ports can be used by hackers/spammers/softwares etc to get info and play havock with our computers.
everything is not that simple ...
simply installing sp2 will not entirely ensure your security ..
you will have to take other steps ..
so y do u want to secure your computer in more resource heavy way

rohanbee said:
A lot of firewalls would do the same thing for your system what sp2 does but since it is free downloading with original os why not install it??
there are lots of good free firewalls too
if you want firewall ... then a freshly installed winxp also has a firewall
just that it has less options configurable
sav_more said:
if u reglarly use the net sp2 is a must.only antiviruses and firewalls are not enuf.sp2 applies all the patches released by microsoft and secures the system.
u r right .. only firewalls and av are not enuf
u need security patches .....
just keep installing security updates .. that's all you need ..
no need to screw up your comp and other softwares already there on the comp

i wud like to write it again
alib_i said:
and those who think that ppl connecting to net shud have sp2 ..
let me tell you .. my comp stays ON for 24hrs a day, 7 days a week
and im always connected internet from lan
i never got a virus
just keep installing the security updates .. that's all u need

wORm

Journeyman
alib_i, SP2 may have slowed down your computer, but it improves performance on most computers, like mine.

You have completely missed one major point. SP2's benefits for novice users. You are looking at SP2 from just your own perspective. Advanced users can keep their computer safe under most circumstances, however, for novice users (a vast majority of all computer users) the built in firewall, the outdated virus defition alert, various vulnerability patches are invaluable.

Let's face it, most computer users don't install firewalls and don't have updated antivirus software, this vast majority of people is what SP2 will prove invaluable to.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
@wORm ..
if you dont keep your comp updated .. then even sp2 cant help you.

abt firewalls ...
even i never used firewalls till recent. i simply talked abt firewall cos lots of ppl here praise sp2 cos of its firewall. i dont see any point in it.

and yes .. may be ur right in the fact that ... sp2 is an easier way out for tyros
but i say its not the best way out

swatkat

Technomancer
Guys,recently Chip Magazine carried out test between XP,Suse Lin,Mac OSX.Without any pacthes and updates XP was the most vulnerable of the lot next came Suse Lin and OSX was the safest with fewest problems of the lot.
But with all the updates and patches for all thtree OSes,XP with it's SP2 update came out as winner and dissappoingly OSX and Suse Lin were nowhere near to XPwithSP2 in terms of safety.
So now u know.

sav_more

Journeyman
swatkat is right i read that article in chip.without sp2 xp has a threat of level 5(max).but with sp2 installed it is the safest os out here

KHUBBU

Journeyman
can u all post the start up time of ur system after installing sp2. somebody told me it took 180 seconds to load xp after installing sp2.

wORm

Journeyman
My start-up time is around 50-60 seconds, I don't know what it was before installing SP2, but it seems to have improved with SP2.

SHell

Broken In
SP2 is needed 4 fixing many bugs. One of the chip magazine issues
had shown that after updating to SP2 all the bugs have been fixed.
u r right after instaling SP@ some softwares don't run like Nero 6.
(they have only solve the problem in their latest version 6.3.1.25).

But SP2 is essential 4 computer security.

technoteen

Journeyman
i think if connect o net then sp2 is must but if you dont have net connection then kick out sp2 or for that matter even the antivirus
sp2 secures the computer very well and if still want to make it more secure then go and close all the unneccasry services

my boot time
in xp sp1- 17 sec
win xp sp2 on sp1- 25 sec
win xp sp2(slipstream) - 20sec

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
SP2 is a "must have" update for all Windows users...

It not only makes Windows more secure (well this time reahllt more secure than it was before)... improves stability (now explorer.exe doesn't crash that much... )...

sms_solver

In the zone
i don't know if sp2 is reqd or not
but i have installed it

sp2 is huge having around 2,900+ files

the org WinXP CD contains around 6,500+ files

does MS need to update nearly 1/2 of files to make it
full proof :shock:

TECHNOJUNKY

Right off the assembly line
nishantv2003 said:
how many of u guyes think sp2 for xp is essential,because after installing many of your software andhardware wont work properly(t.v.tuner card does not work properly with sp1 also, atleast my). :(

HI NISHANTV2003, MY TV TUNER CARD WAS ALSO NOT WORKING PROPERLY BUT AFTER SP2 IT'S WORKS VERY FINE. :)

KHUBBU

Journeyman
hi
finally i installed sp2, now my comp takes 35 sec compared to earlier 17-20 sec. i can bear that. i will try to decrease boot up time. well everything is working fine. and pinnacle pctv is also working fine.

nothing to get scared from sp2. and it works even on "Indian" version of xp !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom