DLink GLB-502T Problem

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
I have been using this modem for quite a long time now without any issues. I had setup up an 'always on' internet connection. Recently, when starting my computer, the ADSL and PPPEO led wont glow. After 5 mins, they would glow when i removed the power cable and reinserted. Now, that time had increased to 30 mins. I have not changed any hardware or installed any software recently. Dont know what happened. Any ideas?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as soon as the power led is on check if you can open modem configuration page in browser.if yes,wait for pppoe & adsl lights to glow & then check SNR & attn values in device status/info/something like this.SNR values should not be very low(usually >20 for a 4-8mbps connection)& attn values should not be too high(usually <50).

OP
sachin_kothari

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
i did checked as u said. Since my model is old, i do not have a direct SNR value. Instead i have US margin and DS margin. Their values are 6db each. From what i could search from mobile, i found that this value is extremely low. The attenuation is fine at 11/15.

I am now completely unable to connect to internet. My PPPoE just refuses to glow. I have trained in vain for 2 hours now. How should i increase the SNR value?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
contact your local line man to check the line.in the mean time you can check for yourself if there is any cut etc in the portion of line within your home.

OP
sachin_kothari

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
I did check my telephone cable, it was fine. But i still replaced and and checked again. Same problem. Complained with the BSNL fellows, lets see when do they come up with result. Anyways, thanks for your help.

Update: BSNL service seems to be getting better. Within 2 hours of complaining, the service man came at my place to check. He had his modem and when he connected his modem, the ADSL led sprang to life. If even went stable after a few seconds. This in contrast to my modem, where the ADSL led just doesnt blinks. That man also told me that the fault is in modem and it cannot be repaired. He said i will have to buy a new one. Your take on it?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can try switching between ADSL2/2+ & G.Dmt mode.in some areas one works fine & in other not.this setting should be in adsl settings.

OP
sachin_kothari

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
Tried those settings when experimenting for SNR values. Disabled all modes and experimented with each and every mode. The modem would still not respond. Even i think it is now time for change. Any suggestions for new model?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
well it all depends on your budget.for vfm/economy models my preference is TP-LINK & if you have the budget you can get something like this:
Flipkart: Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router With Modem: Router

i prefer wireless adsl modem+router over a wired modem+wifi router.

OP
sachin_kothari

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check them out and update.

I also checked my connection with a friend's modem. The ADSL light lit up almost immediately and i was able to connect to internet instantly. But what confused me is that the SNR value here also remained near 6dB. But the connection did not dropped even once while surfing for almost an entire hour. Your views on it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
snr value of 6 is usual only for connections >8-10mbps.try switching modes between adsl2/2+ & G.dmt.your modem should not sync at a very high value for snr to remain high.it is of no use anyway because even if modem syncs at say 16mbps you will still get max speed as per your plan but your snr will be much lower compared to if your modem syncs at say 8mbps.

OP
sachin_kothari

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
I did not get what you said above. Anyways, i bought a new router. Netgear N150 Wireless Router. As i would not be using much wireless, N150 was sufficient for me. And i got it for half price of N300 listed on Flipkart.

But i still have to test it. Will do it tonite and update.

Update: Ok, the modem installation was fine and i have normalcy restored. Thanks for all your help. Mods can now close this thread as it has served its purpose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom