DIY car stereo

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
JVC KD-X30 - Rs 3990
Rockford Fosgate - Prime Series - R1653/R1693 - Rs 3100/4500
Rockford Fosgate - Prime Series - R142 - Rs 1900 (Fronts)

or Go sensibly "Hi End" on a budget step by step

JVC KD-X30 - Rs 3990
Focal - KIT 165CA1 - Rs 7000 / Focal Access Series 6.5" Component Speaker KIT 165A1 - Rs. 9600 (should be lesser locally)

Add an amplifier sometime soon and a pair of fronts and there you are!

And why bluetooth? Why. It sounds the worst. Get a proper cable,minimum Belkin 3.5mm stereo cable and connect it with your phones and pods to your AUX. Simple.

thanks a lot for your effort TI!

you finally hit the nail about BT! all this while i was questioning myself whether i should really be so concerned over BT, esp. when i had/have heavy doubts as to how/why would wirelessly transmitted music give me a good SQ. but i finally have my answer now :)

regarding other things, for HUs, i got following quotes from 2 dealers today:-

From the Kenwood-stable:

Kenwood KDC-U449 - 4800/- W/ B&W (preferred choice)

KDC-U349R - 4800/- W/ B&W (couldn't understand the difference between this & U449; perhaps U449 gives you the choice of colour-variation)

Kenwood KDC-U353R - 5500/- W/ B&W

From the JVC-stable:

KD-X30 - 3400/- W/ B&W

KD-R536 - 5600/- W/ B&W

out of these, which one would you recommend? am thinking that kenwood would suit a baleno :p (JVCs look more the types for smaller & sporty-looks cars like punto, i10, beat, figo, swift, etc). kenwood's elegance has impressed me. but haven't/couldn't audition one. also, kenwood has 'music search' option + the remote has more features. but one doubt i have is, are kenwoods slow in reading media? also, the price am getting the U449 for is tempting!
also, i read that U349R of Kenwood is much better than R426 of JVC, so i believe U449 of Kenwood should be better than R536 of JVC.

the speakers you have suggested, i hope are better than JBL?! because i read JBLs are regarded as 'rockers' speakers', i was inclined towards them (GTO949 & CS4). if RF's speakers are good for such a purpose, i'll ask the dealer about them.

and the car has to be changed within 2-3 yrs, so i'll try to move up in the progression :)

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
They are all better than that JBL and if you can get the Focal then there is nothing like it. (For eg Focal make speakers that costs Rs 1 Crore for home)

Get the Kenwood U449 if iPod connectivity is a must otherwise you are fine with a 349R too,but since they cost the same get the former.And yes I would choose the Kenwood too.

JBLs tonality is more forward sounding and hence as always the music when driven hard looses some kind of recess for you to savour what is actually happening in the soundstage...kind of looses focus. The bass is omni present till up to almost the upper midrange! The presentations of JBL is something I dont like. But Yes do listen to the speakers before you buy them. A lot of showrooms will actually let you do that. Bostons are also very good speakers do try them too. ( For eg Mr Ken Ishiwata of Marantz actually tune some of their speakers and as example the A series for home speakers sounds so good and are very affordable)

Last edited:

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
They are all better than that JBL and if you can get the Focal then there is nothing like it. (For eg Focal make speakers that costs Rs 1 Crore for home)

Get the Kenwood U449 if iPod connectivity is a must otherwise you are fine with a 349R too,but since they cost the same get the former.And yes I would choose the Kenwood too.

Wow TI! thanks again!
i had inquired about focal & kicker earlier, but they were costing me more (esp. the focals), so i am hoping to get them installed in the car yet to come in future instead :)
i should call the dealer right away for RF!
i guess now there remains no doubt(s) :razz:

JBLs tonality is more forward sounding and hence as always the music when driven hard looses some kind of recess for you to savour what is actually happening in the soundstage...kind of looses focus. The bass is omni present till up to almost the upper midrange! The presentations of JBL is something I dont like. But Yes do listen to the speakers before you buy them. A lot of showrooms will actually let you do that. Bostons are also very good speakers do try them too. ( For eg Mr Ken Ishiwata of Marantz actually tune some of their speakers and as example the A series for home speakers sounds so good and are very affordable)

sadly (& astoundingly) my city hasn't got any showrooms where i could have a demo of the speakers (atleast, none that i know of). neither reliance autozone, nor any of its likes. all we have here are car-accessories shops. of them, one did have a nice demo set-up, but it was all JVC. am leaving for the dealer's shop now. will ask for focals & RFs there. about BAs am apprehensive whether i would find them, and moreover, since you mentioned earlier that they fare better with an ext. amp., hence i could think of having them for the next car too ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: @ The Incinerator & kpkini - Finally got the Kenwood KD-U349R (U449 wasn't available; earlier confirmation on this model was wrong) & Focal speakers!! :twisted: :-D

please check this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom