DivX 6 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

To compete with H.264 AVC in the codec market, DivX has released version 6 of it's codec, since apple is backing H.264 with quicktime

it's available in 2 forms

1st is the DivX 6 play bundle, which is a pack containing DivX 6 codec, & 0the DivX Player

2nd is the DivX Create bundle, which is like a replacement to Dr.Divx as it is basically an encoding application for ripping DVDs etc.

*www.divx.com/divx/converter/

there are many notable features new with this release the most important being the official support for XSub subtitles, alongwith support for the new DivX Media format,

* Interactive video menus let you create videos that allow the viewer to navigate between scenes
* XSUBâ„¢ subtitles allow you to convert videos with multiple language subtitles
* Alternate audio tracks enables audio tracks in multiple language versions or separate audio tracks for specific speaker configurations
* XTAGâ„¢ video tags let you add and view descriptive information such as title, author and video specifications
* Chapter points for easy navigation when you combine multiple files.

DivX certified players will still play these v6 encoded files but won't support the new features, which is a disappointment as their firmware cannot be upgraded easily

download *www.free-codecs.com/download/DivX6.htm

junglee_mard

Right off the assembly line
Re:

Xvid is much better than DivX if u know how to play arround with Quantization Matrices, if u've downloaded a few of the eps of Joey or That70'sshow etc... both the Xvid & DivX version's u'd c for u'erself.

H.264 standard is really neat & got to see how Dr. DivX has implemented it. I got my hands on it thru VideoLAN..

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
oh boy............cant wait to get my hands on this new baby.........

Im ready to do a Codec Test again.....

I hope it matches up to XviD, VP62, VP70 & x264/H264

OP
G

gxsaurav

Although DivX 6 is out, the next optimized version of Divx named Helium is also out in Beta

*labs.divx.com/archives/000055.html

This is made only to provide upto twice encoding speed when used with Dual core, Dual CPU or HT enabled computers, on normal computers running 1 CPU, like AMD 64 without HT this won't provide any noticable difference

It is installed on top of DivX 6 create bundle, & only increses the encoding speed, no quality increse, DivX claims upto twice the encoding speed when encoded at Insane mode

The DivX 6 create bundle includes a new application named convertor, which is simpley one step DivX conversion application, just drag & drop, select the profile & it will encode, but won't provide U any detailed configuration options like Dr.DivX, also it's lilke Dr.DivX with Divx 6 is nowhere to be found, I myself m now using iMtoo DVD ripper with this codec, & have removed Dr.DivX compleately.

When it comes to quality, I used to encode the DVDs at 720X480 resolution, with 128 KBPS mp3 Audio at 1536 kbps bitrate & a few other settings (de-interlation etc), but ow I get the same quality at 1024 kbps

for 352X288 resolution I used 768 kbps but now the same quality at 512 KBPS, so there is improvement, but still it sux for TV recordings

GameAddict

In the zone
Tests please

Can somebody (maverickrohan or gxsaurav) try the new DiVX and let us know the results?Since the site says that it has better compression (20% to 40%), I am really interested in what users have to say.

GA

OP
G

gxsaurav

I already did a test, the codec is improved, I m geting same quality of 1536 kbps video bitrate at 1024 kbps, that about 33% improvement, when encoding

I have switched to the DivX helium codec, it is installed over DivX 6 Pro, the create bundle, although not yet tested, but since I got a CPU with HT (P4 3.06 GHz), this is supposed to give me a huge improvement over the normal version 6 pro codec, so this is to remember that the only benifit of this beta helium codec is speed that to only in the case of Dual CPU or HT CPU & no quality improvement over DivX 6 due to helium

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Hey Me did a test too wid various settings like using various levels of Pre Prossesing, Psychovisual Enhancements etc.............

I wud say it is just slightly better than DivX 5.2.1 but it still isnt as good as XviD, VP62, VP70 or H264

Im gonna start a new thread in a few days with detailed settings of various codecs n their results in the Tutorial Section.........so watch out for that space...:)

ms123 said:
Also XviD is as good as DivX :) and its open source.

Xvid is Mpeg4-ASP based (Advanced Simple Profile) while DivX 6 is Mpeg4-AVC (Advanced Video Coding, which is newer). DivX 6 is in the same league as Nero Digital AVC and x264. All three use H.264 aka Mpeg4-AVC. The only free alternative among these is x264. Gordian Knot has an option for x264 encoding, while the codec itself can be found in Mencoder.

Visit the forums at www.doom9.org for more info.

If your're comparing XviD with DivX 5.x then XviD is heaps better. See the codec shootout at www.doom9.org.

gxsaurav
DivX 6 is not competing with H.264 as implied by the original poster. It is an implementation of H.264. It's supposed to compete with Apple Quicktimes H.264 implementation and Nero Digital AVC.

More info -

H.264 is the IEEE code for Mpeg4-AVC whereas for Mpeg4-ASP it is H.263

Cheers,
Keith

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Is there any way to add the chapters & subtitle to the divx file.
hope they add to the next version.

And How to make the resolution ... like this
i mean black lines horizontly

maverickrohan said:
Im gonna start a new thread in a few days with detailed settings of various codecs n their results in the Tutorial Section.........so watch out for that space...:)

eagerly waiting for it :wink:

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@boeing av8r

hey thnx for the info dude........

But i find it very starnge that DivX 6 still isnt as good as XviD, VP62 or x264..........

I'll do a few more tests n letchya know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom