display switches off and on just for a second or so...

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Hey...
i am having a queer problem..
my computer is hooked up to my samsung led tv via a hdmi cable..
the display turns off and on on its own once in a while for a second or two..
what could be the problem??
i have used the same hdmi cable else where and there are no probs...
my config :
MOBO - ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
GPU - XFX R9280X
RAM - 8GB KINGSTON 1600 HYPERX BLU
HDD - 500 GB WD CAVIER BLUE

PLZ help!!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Happens to my recently built Core i5 system.
I have a Dell 19" monitor attached to it. Sometimes displays goes off for a sec and then turns back on.

If my past experience (when I used to have a Pen 4 system) is to be considered, it's not a good sign. And usually means that Motherboard is going to go kaput soon. The reason for this the repair guy used to say is moisture which damages some capacitors.

I have kept my fingers crossed. :Fingerx: :(

icebags

Technomancer
this is happening to me also, for a year. happens when any other device - tv/fan/tube/else is switched on or off, because of the little voltage fluctuation that occurs during switching.

i think somewhere some capacitor probably isn't working as it should, it could be either of psu/mobo/gfx card or the monitor itself. or it could be windows 8 issue, not sure.

what brands of those components u people are using ? mine are corsair gs600/asus g41 mobo/evga 560/dell 24" - anything there seems common with what u ppl have ?

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
this is happening to me also, for a year. happens when any other device - tv/fan/tube/else is switched on or off, because of the little voltage fluctuation that occurs during switching.

i think somewhere some capacitor probably isn't working as it should, it could be either of psu/mobo/gfx card or the monitor itself. or it could be windows 8 issue, not sure.

what brands of those components u people are using ? mine are corsair gs600/asus g41 mobo/evga 560/dell 24" - anything there seems common with what u ppl have ?

hhholy c**p!! you are right!!!!!!!
i jus switched on the fan and the display just went booom!! off and on!!
my config :
GPU - XFX R9280X
PSU : Seasonic eco 600....
what could be the root of the prob??
btw is your connection properly earthed??
btw hv a look at this :
*www.tomshardware.com/forum/385710-33-monitor-blinks-turning-lights
and does it always happen??
coz i turned on the fan for the first time it happened ,,but aft tat...its ok...i mean nothins happenin..

Last edited:

PratikV

Broken In
Happens to my recently built Core i5 system.
I have a Dell 19" monitor attached to it. Sometimes displays goes off for a sec and then turns back on.

If my past experience (when I used to have a Pen 4 system) is to be considered, it's not a good sign. And usually means that Motherboard is going to go kaput soon. The reason for this the repair guy used to say is moisture which damages some capacitors.

I have kept my fingers crossed. :Fingerx: :(

Holy ***.. Same happened to me i have same i5 Rig....
as well as R9 280x..... but my problem was due to the game itself, while playing a game the display went off for 2 sec and came back on showing AMD Display driver has been recovered. but when i stopped playing that game it never happened to me....

aniket.cain

Padawan
I had been facing this issue for some time with my Dell monitor connected to the laptop via HDMI. Whenever I switched off/on anything in my room, the display went off for a second.

Then I got a UPS and connected the monitor, the speakers and the wi-fi router to it, and everything has been working fine since then.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Simple
Change the hdmi cable with a high quality one and viola problem solved

Happened with cheap hdmi cable that came with Airtel HD and when any electric device it's switched on it Goes blank for 5 seconds

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Simple
Change the hdmi cable with a high quality one and viola problem solved

Happened with cheap hdmi cable that came with Airtel HD and when any electric device it's switched on it Goes blank for 5 seconds

but I used the same cable with my lappy and it was fine...

icebags

Technomancer
hhholy c**p!! you are right!!!!!!!
i jus switched on the fan and the display just went booom!! off and on!!
my config :
GPU - XFX R9280X
PSU : Seasonic eco 600....
what could be the root of the prob??
btw is your connection properly earthed??
btw hv a look at this :
Monitor Blinks when turning lights off - Graphics Cards - Graphics & Displays
and does it always happen??
coz i turned on the fan for the first time it happened ,,but aft tat...its ok...i mean nothins happenin..

thanks for the link. i am using a cheap hdmi cable, cause monitor doesn't have dvi port, even though i have those from my old monitor.

may be due to the cheap cable, not sure. are u all using cheap cable too ? (we don't have any earthing prob, earthing is ok)

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
thanks for the link. i am using a cheap hdmi cable, cause monitor doesn't have dvi port, even though i have those from my old monitor.

may be due to the cheap cable, not sure. are u all using cheap cable too ? (we don't have any earthing prob, earthing is ok)

me using 200 buck ka cable..define a "good" cable....

icebags

Technomancer
idk, let others recommend. but it may be good cable, if these flipkart reviews are legit, and these ppl are actually using this cable without any issue..... (however, u need to check the hdmi port types u need - mine uses mini hdmi to hdmi cable -etc)

DigiFlip HC001 A to A Gaming HDMI Cable - DigiFlip: Flipkart.com

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
so which cable to buy? plz suggest..

not like that...
a bad cable you have has improper sheilding thats why it is picking interference from nearby high voltage wires(230v ac) and disrupts the digital signal and we get a blank screen

change cable this is the sure solution and nothing related to earthing.

i too use a 200rs cable but it is a good one,
recently gor a 10m hdmi 1.4v cable and no issues, because it is a good cable.

only what you can do is try all the cables you have...

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
not like that...
a bad cable you have has improper sheilding thats why it is picking interference from nearby high voltage wires(230v ac) and disrupts the digital signal and we get a blank screen

change cable this is the sure solution and nothing related to earthing.

i too use a 200rs cable but it is a good one,
recently gor a 10m hdmi 1.4v cable and no issues, because it is a good cable.

only what you can do is try all the cables you have...

ook..so I will try using my frens hdmi cable..and c if it helps or not..and I also got the earthing in my apartment chkd today, and its not working..

Top Bottom