Dirve is locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHAPATRA

Right off the assembly line
Hi :)

I am getting this message whenever I want to Defrag my C: drive. Others drives are defragging properly. All this happened when I installed Diskeeper 10 Premium version. Two weeks ago it defrag C: drive. But now when I try to defrag it says CHK is running by operating sys or this is used by any other process. I have made repeated restarts as said by windows scandisk and diskeeper. Nothing happened.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Please help :oops:

Config:
WinXP SP2
2.8c Intel with 512 MB ram

MAHAPATRA :?:

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
It happens, if some other disk utility is using/locking hte disk while Defragmenter/Scandisk is running.

Try running Disk Defragmenter in SAFE MODE.

OP
M

MAHAPATRA

Its not working....Why this happened I dpn't know. May be Diskeeper has some role in it.

Any method to unlock the drive or to shut the on-going scandisk (chkdsk).....Please help.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Try unloading diskeeper from the memory(Ctrl+Alt+Del :wink: ). and then try to defrag.

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
Try this. Go to Command Prompt and then type this command chkntfs /x C: and press Enter key. ( The syntax is chkntfsSPACE/xSPACEC: )

thadhanihemant

Journeyman
well charangk is right
first try unloading all the process from the tast manager except explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe
try cleaning the windows temp folder
and if it doesn't help i would say uninstall diskeeper...

OP
M

MAHAPATRA

@.......>swatkat
From Your help this results...
C:\Documents and Settings\BINAY>chkntfs /x C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

I have already uninstalled the Crap Diskeeper but still no success.

OP
M

MAHAPATRA

Hello Swatkat :)
No the defrag is not working......not in safe mode also. This Diskeeper made my machine a junk. You know I scan with Norton Disk Doctor...it showa some index error in two drives in which I defragged with Diskeeper. Seriously i am in soup. :oops:

Don't know what to do.....:roll:

MAHAPATRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom