Dirt 3 Discussion Thread

tkin

Back to school!!
Whats the deal with racing line anyway??? In Shift you'll get points for going on racing line what about this game????
Yeah, on casual the auto brakes kick in, who'd want that, I'll brake when I feel like it, I tried with auto brakes on(testing), finished race in first place a bit ahead around 1sec, tried with it off finished first with 2sec around.

Left the game. Its get boring after some races. And why the fking 5 races long tourneys?
2-3 races in one tourney was enough. Strictly not for people with limited time.

But I did enjoy the game while it lasted.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Whats the deal with racing line anyway??? In Shift you'll get points for going on racing line what about this game????

'racing line' is a self explanatory term.

its not about points, its about the ideal lines - entry & exit at turns. this way your lap /stage times come out good.

generally its for casual gamers & gamers new to the tracks.

try racing in hard mode w/o racing line & then with racing line ON, compare the times now.

btw, i hate the compulsory Gymkhana races :X

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
soumo27 said:
no no...Its easier for night driving mode, as far as I felt.
Yeah same here. I felt that too because only time I really used this was in night mode when draw distance don't help you to keep up with track.
s18000rpm said:
'racing line' is a self explanatory term.

its not about points, its about the ideal lines - entry & exit at turns. this way your lap /stage times come out good.

generally its for casual gamers & gamers new to the tracks.

try racing in hard mode w/o racing line & then with racing line ON, compare the times now.
Bro I am having trouble playing at intermediate already and you want me to play on hard mode. I am not sure I'll be able to complete a lap to see the timings and compare them. :D:D:D

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Currently playing at intermediate. After completing, will go HARD. :D

But where are the options for liveries and team selection?

Alok

Adventurer
Today i bought dirt 2 and tonight i'll drift , if darkspawn will allow me.(currently re-playing DA-O)

Last edited:
OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Skud said:

There is no team in this game till season 3 which I have completed. Liveries will be unlocked one by one after leveling up and you can select them right at beginning of the race. :)

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|

I achieve mostly 2nd/1st position in Intermediate. In hard mode, just the difficulty of the opponents are enhanced, and nothing more.
Liveries can be selected before starting the race. The system/interface is similar to GRID;

Well on a side note, why did this game copy tracks from FIFA 11 ? :x

There is no team in this game till season 3 which I have completed. Liveries will be unlocked one by one after leveling up and you can select them right at beginning of the race. :)

I am in the 2nd season, and about to complete it. :) You mean there are teams in Season 3 or 4?? And btw, where are those other drivers from DIRT 2. So far I've only met Ken Block, Tanner Foust and Md Ben Sulayeem :)). I miss their one-liners during the race. :neutral:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have just completed my 1st season and here's my experience so far:-

1. Graphics wise pretty good, although quite a few glitches are there, some of them unpardonable:-

• Water splashes have no effect on the car.
  • Along the same line, static water droplets on the car. I mean really, this is 2011 graphics, right? :mad:
  • Trees are still static, only the grass and bushes sway in air. :shock:
  • Trees are ugly and looks like DX 8.1.
  • Since the first Dirt, the dust build-up behind the car is muted compared to CMR series.
  • Tessellation effects are not that good.
  • Color palette is darker compared to Dirt 2.
  • Terrain deformation is not great and plays no part in the drivability of the car. Remember Sega Rally?
  • Water splashes are poorly rendered compared to Dirt 2.

Otherwise textures are really good, lightning effects are awesome, and a snowy Aspen under lights looks like a dream. :))

2. Car handling is good and feel more rally-like compared to previous versions. Damage model has gone for a toss since Dirt and this game is no different.

3. Gymkhana mode immediately reminds me of NFS UG, a game I couldn't finish because of the drift races. Frankly speaking, I hate drifts etc. and it feels like Gymkhana mode might be a HUGE stumbling block in completing the game.

So overall, a pretty solid racer, still miles ahead than any NFS/Shift games IMO, but Codies are basically selling the same old wine in a new bottle every year. The rallying part has improved, but Gymkhana mode is a hit or miss affair. And the improvements, if any, over previous versions, is very thin in the air.

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|
^^Nice review... But imo this is the best racing game in pc in terms of graphics.... nothing can beat this... :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually I am following this game since its first version and so much attached with it that I get disappointed even with very small shortcomings. Otherwise, I agree with you. For a racing game, where you have very little time to actually stare at the graphics, it is definitely the best.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Well water effects looks nice to me. I don't have any complain about game's graphics. I don't expect trees to move or something I just want them to be good looking. After all I am playing a racing game not a FPS or RPG for that matter.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Water effects are OK, but raindrops have no effect on the car that is they don't bounced off the car. I think previously on CMR 3/04 it was there. So that's a step backward and same with the dust effects. For me, it's very very odd.

Top Bottom