[DIGIT TEST CENTRE] Sneak Peek - Acer Liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifer

Reviewerus Prolificus
Hi guys,
We recently got our hands on Acer's Liquid, based on Google Android 1.6 (Donut). We'll have a longer review in the relevant section up soon, but for now check out a couple of pics.

It's quite a sexy device, with curved edges. The front of the handset is glossy black and the screen and surrounding region is finished in the same material as the bezel - making the display appear deceptively large. The rest of the body is a plain white - a simple colour scheme, though an attractive one. It'll feel a little bulky in-hand owing to the large display and broad (though cunningly concealed) bezel.

Initial reactions aren't too promising - for although the device has a really nice 3.5-inch display, the capacitive-touch interface isn't the best around. Android has a lot of rough edges as well, and is far from being an ideal cellular platform. Although the OS has a lot of advanced features, there are a bunch of surprising omissions that cripple usability as an everyday handset.

Incidentally, the Liquid has a fairly mediocre 5.0-megapixel camera. One of the plus points is the 768 MHz Snapdragon CPU and 256-MB RAM - not the best hardware around, but it's definitely snappy.

The accessories are fairly mediocre, though I liked the pouch.

*img251.imageshack.us/img251/6489/liquid1.th.jpg

*img205.imageshack.us/img205/4045/liquid2n.th.jpg

Is there anyone looking at buying this handset? Already got it? Feel free to let me know your impressions...

nimish23

Broken In
check out the hands on review that we had done on the Acer Liquid when it launched in Mumbai
*www.thinkdigit.com/Mobiles-PDAs/Acer-Liquid--Rs-25000-Android-based-phone_3955.html

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Wow it does look nice. Since I see Market and Youtube in there it should definitely have all the Google Apps in it. May I ask about the approximate price. Also I just can't figure what's with everyone still handing out 1.6 Donut . I mean shouldn't phones be coming out with 2.0 or something instead D: .
Although the OS has a lot of advanced features, there are a bunch of surprising omissions that cripple usability as an everyday handset.
Like? The problems I could probably state is the inability to synch easily With Microsoft Outlook or another Client. Inability to Log off out of Google .

For some reason Android Phones don't seem to have a good camera on any of them. Well at least those in the Indian Market aren't noteworthy :( .

OP
L

Lucifer

Reviewerus Prolificus
Like? The problems I could probably state is the inability to synch easily With Microsoft Outlook or another Client. Inability to Log off out of Google .

Those problems are secondary. I'm talking about basic problems as a handset. In my opinion, a smartphone/PDA phone worth even 50K has to be a good phone before being anything else. Interfacing, call functionality, interface response, convenience when using basic call/messaging features, call quality and clarity, clarity of loudspeaker - these are basic features that you just cannot get wrong...

Never mind the other omissions you have pointed out, and several others. Some devices just "feel right" - this one doesn't. It's a decent handset, but could have been much more.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Interfacing, call functionality, interface response, convenience when using basic call/messaging features, call quality and clarity, clarity of loudspeaker - these are basic features that you just cannot get wrong...
Well definitely that would be a priority. I guess I sort of assumed that basic functionality was quite good since it had a hefty price tag.

OP
L

Lucifer

Reviewerus Prolificus
Well definitely that would be a priority. I guess I sort of assumed that basic functionality was quite good since it had a hefty price tag.

You would be correct in assuming so. As did I. Believe me, the surprise was profound, and the accompanying annoyance was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom