Difference in quality between Vob Xvid and Divx

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
So Much Difference in quality between Vob - Xvid/Divx

I have converted many times Vob to Xvid and divx and Mpeg - 4 also , but see the quality of

the video. there is lot of differnce.
DO see i use to convert VCD video to xvid/divx there is no problem in there quality but Vob

to xvid/divx video there is problem for quality.

See the screenshots.
1 is original VOb and 1 A is xvid/divx video
2 is original VOb and 2 A is xvid/divx video
3 is original VOb and 3 A is xvid/divx video

Why there is so much differece in quality.
I selected best quality then also the video is coming bad why.
Also the Vob video colours looks so good and xvid/divx colours looks bad if u compared.
Also xvid/divx video we cant see face properly.
See screenshots.

Any expert do help me.
The divx/xvid video is 1000- 1500 Kbps where as Vob file is approx 2300 - 2500 kbps.

*img77.imageshack.us/img77/285/example1ww1.jpg

*img77.imageshack.us/img77/7904/example1aff3.jpg

*img77.imageshack.us/img77/8472/example2vs8.jpg

*img77.imageshack.us/img77/4962/example2amk5.jpg

*img77.imageshack.us/img77/6681/example3bf4.jpg

*img77.imageshack.us/img77/6522/example3ahf6.jpg

Last edited:

hailgautam

Youngling
This is how I understand the problem...

VCDs. DivX XviD and MP4 compress the VCD or DVD. Since VCDs have lower quality as such there is not much left to loose however DVDs natively have a better resolution (quality) you see a loss.

slugger

Banned
wat sw r u usn for encoding

and y do u keep sayin xvid/divx video, they are two completely different codecs
which one of the two codecs are u using for encoding

where r ur original VCD screenshots and d its converted screenshot, that u r saying gave much better result after encoding?

OP
A

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
slugger said:
wat sw r u usn for encoding

and y do u keep sayin xvid/divx video, they are two completely different codecs
which one of the two codecs are u using for encoding

where r ur original VCD screenshots and d its converted screenshot, that u r saying gave much better result after encoding?

That was original and converted screenshots
I captured the clips with DVD recorder in DVD Quality

1st is original VOb and 2nd is xvid/divx video

xvid/divx video means i encoded with xvid and also with divx but quality of xvid and divx not matched to vob file

I posted screenshots here so any person who knows can give suggestion of how to get exact quality of VOB in xvid or divx files

Last edited:

desai_amogh

In the zone
i find Xvid encoding much better... as it increases the quality of those lossy cheap dvds

with 6-7 movies 'stuffed' in 1 dvd ...they have a very low resolution .. & when i watch them

on the tv with dvd player .. i see the screen with small small patches of colour ..as there

r less pixels for the screen to display ... im talking abt the small small squar colour

patches u get on tv when u watch a low resolution movie ...

i use Autogk .. i can increase resolution .. i like watching movies at 16:9 .. no matter

what screen i watch them on ...
if u r converting a very good quality video the loss will be somewhere around 5-10% .. but

when u r converting a low quality vob to a Xvid... i feel it increases the quality no matter

if u r converting a 1.2 gb file to a 700 one...
it surely does.

OP
A

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
i am using 2300 Approx kbps VOB to xvid and divx , why i cant get the quality.
i tried many softwares , but see i am getting above quality.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
while ripping movies to reduce size in order to make them like aXXo rips u need to try out various combinations of frame rates; resolution etc ... however to answer ur question ... divx yields better results more often

OP
A

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
Just want to know one query. do reducing resolution from vob to xvid yields better result

Or if i convert vob 352X576 (yes height is 576) to 640X320 will it give great result. As i am increasing width of the vob file .

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
Quality of standard-DVD(mpeg2 @ ~7-8Mbps) is much better than Xvid/Divx/H264/Vp6 etc. IMO.

And also DVD is much faster at playback than those Mpeg4 codecs @ higher bitrates.

OP
A

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
indian_samosa said:
Just a query ... what are you capturing ?? TV ?? or DVD to xvid ?

i AM CAPUTURING from tv to DVD with DVD recoreder.
i want to save some space to fit more in DVDs thats all i want

VideoEditingIndia

www.VideoEditingIndia.com
You did a lot of mistakes. Why you are capturing your TV to DVD? Why dont you capture directly to XVID.

XVID codec is far better than MPEG-2 (that's your DVD). You will never get the quality if you try to capture in MPEG-2.

The better option is, you can capture directly in XVID/DIVX. If your software doesn't allow directshow capturing, then capture in DV Codec(But you cant save spaces). Then convert it to XVID. If possible use MP4/H.264 which is the best delivery codec available till date. (Yes, its better than VC-1)

Quality of standard-DVD(mpeg2 @ ~7-8Mbps) is much better than Xvid/Divx/H264/Vp6 etc. IMO.
Are you sure, you are not joking?

OP
A

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
VideoEditingIndia said:
You did a lot of mistakes. Why you are capturing your TV to DVD? Why dont you capture directly to XVID.

XVID codec is far better than MPEG-2 (that's your DVD). You will never get the quality if you try to capture in MPEG-2.

The better option is, you can capture directly in XVID/DIVX. If your software doesn't allow directshow capturing, then capture in DV Codec(But you cant save spaces). Then convert it to XVID. If possible use MP4/H.264 which is the best delivery codec available till date. (Yes, its better than VC-1)

Are you sure, you are not joking?

I am using DVD Recorder to capture. There is no setting to caputer in other format. Like Xvid / Divx.

Also i am caputuring in 352 X 576 . yes height is 576
but when i convert that file to xvid or divx it does not play correctly in computer or in dvd recorder(The picture is strected), Because height is greater then widht.

But when i play VOB File of 352 X 576 it have no problems.

So basically i have to convert video to 352 X 288 when converting which decreases the quality.

VideoEditingIndia

No, do not use DVD Reorder. Try Video Caturix 2007 or any good PVR to capture. The broadcast size is 704*576 Do not capture in 352*576 Try to set the width as 720*576 Do not forget to set your pixel aspect to PAL (1.06)

VOB/MEPG-2 size is 720*576 Are you using MPEG-1?

So you should not use DVD Recorder to capture. Will your TV Tuner card has any software? If not download video capturix

Capture in 720*576 PAL DV 25fps 4*3 with 1.06 PAR. If possible use panasonic DV Codec. Then convert it to XVID or MP4/H.264 with the same settings.

OP
A

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
VideoEditingIndia said:
No, do not use DVD Reorder. Try Video Caturix 2007 or any good PVR to capture. The broadcast size is 704*576 Do not capture in 352*576 Try to set the width as 720*576 Do not forget to set your pixel aspect to PAL (1.06)

VOB/MEPG-2 size is 720*576 Are you using MPEG-1?

So you should not use DVD Recorder to capture. Will your TV Tuner card has any software? If not download video capturix

Capture in 720*576 PAL DV 25fps 4*3 with 1.06 PAR. If possible use panasonic DV Codec. Then convert it to XVID or MP4/H.264 with the same settings.

First i dont have any tuner card, and 2nd thing if i capture in 720*576 i get only 1 hour of recording time which is very very less if i want to capture full movie.

VIDEO RECORDING QUALITY
Mode Time Bit Rate Encode NTSC PAL/SECAM
HQ 1hr 9.5Mpbs MPEG2 720X480 720X576
SP 2hrs 5.1Mpbs MPEG2 720X480 720X576
LP 3hrs 3.3Mpbs MPEG2 352X480 352X576
EP 4hrs 2.5Mpbs MPEG2 352X480 352X576
SLP 6hrs 1.7Mpbs MPEG1 352X240 352X288

i am choosing EP 4hrs 2.5Mpbs MPEG2 352X480 352X576
so that is MPEG 2

indian_samosa

No longer here..
If you are not using TV tuner card ..then how are you capturing ?

If its video capture card ... then you can use softwares like iuvcr to record the video.download a codec called as Huffyuv which is as good as lossless avi capture ... it will take around 500MB for a 1 minute video(720X576) to be captured.Mind you if you want quality you will have to use lots of drive space.Or you can directly encode the video to xvid on the fly if you have a fast enough pc.But the problem with on-the-fly encoding is sometimes audio error creeps in ...

VideoEditingIndia

How you are capturing without TV Tuner card? Are you on laptop or do you have any professional video recorder/Tape?

352*576? Do onething, throw the software away!!! Have you purchased the sw? Call the support guys and ask for clarification about their 'MPEG2 standard in 352*576". (I heard Half D1 in DV, But it should not be deliverable as MPEG2). You TV may support it, but your computer??? Get your money back man!

If you didnt buy it, better throw it away man. Try a good software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom