Did anyone tried PCQuest Linux 2005??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
pradeep_chauhan said:
I would suggest that do not do a media check just install it works. The same thing happened to me with FC3 and i said install everything and had no problems. Give it a try.

Thats very true, when i tested the media while installing FC3 it rejected each one of them but got installed by those very cds.

OP
hafees

hafees

In the zone
yes!!! most of them run the media check and resulted in error. But no error in installation. Then what is the need for the media check? whose fault it is?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Media check reads the MD5sums file present on the CD and compares the MD5 sum of all the files present on the CD with the ones listed on the file. Sometimes due to faulty CD rom, that MD5sum is not calculated properly, hence that error. Probably the file on cd might be corrupt, but then its possible that the Fedora install did not install that file on your system

OP
hafees

hafees

In the zone
Yes grub (what a nickname :) ) u ve to tell us what r the flaws. there was some bug in the udev (u couldn't play a dvd movie by just selecting the dvd - there were no links to the /dev/dvd) and someone (really thanks for him) here mentioned it and adviced us how to avoid it (just install the new udev*.rpm). So like that tell us the flaws.

grub

Broken In
if u have FC3 and u have network running with ur computer , then install it and instantly u will come to know , what aabout i am talking

tuxfan

Technomancer
grub said:
if u have FC3 and u have network running with ur computer , then install it and instantly u will come to know , what aabout i am talking
Why do you want us to go thru the ordeal you went thru? Just tell us what happens.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Yes i have FC3 running with a network consisting of three PC and a ADSL modem from BSNL(Data One) and i have no problems whatsoever. Come on dont pill. FC3 is a good stable distro no problems whatso ever. The only minus it has is that its a bit bloated (so am I) So what.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Umm, just one quick question. I happen to be running FC3 on one machine, Ubuntu on another and Mandrake 10.1 on another. I got the PCQlin2k5 CDs and I am sitting on them, should I or shouldn't I? In case I should, which one should I wipe out, you think? Plus, is it worth wiping any one installation out for this distro?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I suggest as you are using FC3 do not touch PCQ you will not get any thing new i am sure you already have mp3 and ntfs support. Wait for a few days(monts) let FC4 come out then upgrade FC3 to 4 there is absolutly no point in wasting time over PCQ.

OP
hafees

hafees

In the zone
Installing & uninstalling linux is not a problem. bcoz everything u installed in ur system will be there when it is reinstalled. So i do it very often. nothing is going to lose. (Also even if u 've some data it should be on the /home. So just don't format that partition. -ofcourse u should 've to use a seperate partition for /home). So i suggest u should try it. it will be lighter than FC3. So i suggest u to replace FC3 with PCQ linux.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Nah, I have mp3 and NTFS support on FC3, so I think I will just wait for FC4 like pradeep said. Plus, its only until June that I have to wait. I dont particularly feel like using PCQlin2k5 right now. Who needs grid computing and supercomputing modules? :D

pradeep_chauhan said:
Its based on FC3 and since FC3 is quite "old" nothing new is expected. so i personally am not too much inclined to try it.
Well i tried but totally based on fedora3.just some softwares added and a preety Fame Name "PCQ"
I should name Its Copy Of fedora3!!
Lol

tuxfan

Technomancer
neerajvohra said:
Well i tried but totally based on fedora3.just some softwares added and a preety Fame Name "PCQ"
I should name Its Copy Of fedora3!!
Lol

Of course, it is based on FC. Even PCQ don't hide it and they had conducted a poll wherein more people wanted for Fedora than Debian. Actually, PCQ people wanted to let it remain Fedora (or Red Hat). But Red Hat people didn't allow them to do it. They were compelled to rename it. Its based on Fedora so no wonder it will have loads and loads of similarity.

But there is quite a bit of customisation as well, albeit under the hood and may not be too visible. But their effort is commendable!! They run a magazine and are not a software house. They go thru the effort and bundle a distro and also regularly provide support!! And that too for free!

demoninside

In the zone
Ya i totaly agree tuxfan

of course if they r saying this that this is based on FC3 that why to tell this thing,

and one more thing they r still doing some work of their own to make linux under the reach of each & every one so pls.. mind it

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Guys we must give credit where its due. PCQ is the first magazine/source of information about linux. It gave us linux when only a handfull people knew about its existance. Today too its the largest way that people get there linux cd to try out the new flavors. In this respect hats off to these great guys.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I installed (upgraded) PCQ Linux 2005 y'day in one of my machines. There's hardly any apprent difference. But my USB card reader got immediately recognised :D Thats good!! Now I will try my USB printer and scanner too. Then next on agenda is the internal modem.

I will have to do little bit of R&D to see what more is new :)

firewall

In the zone
tuxfan said:
I installed (upgraded) PCQ Linux 2005....I will have to do little bit of R&D to see what more is new :)

yes, I can remember when me, tuxfan and others used to playing around with the previous version of pcqlinux for some extra features... that wxperience was good. Now with this new version, one thing is best ... most of the appz are already included and thus saved lotta bandwidth ... otherwise we need to downlod those ..

btw i am sure Tuxfan will come up with more results after his R&D .. ;)

a.m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom