Did anyone tried PCQuest Linux 2005??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafees

In the zone
Hi :)

did anyone tried PCQ Linux 2005. some one pls give a review. is it a one cd installation ??

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I just got a copy of the magazine . If Im correct there are 3 cds for PCQ Linux 2005. Im going to give it a try pretty soon.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Am waiting for Ubuntu's next release to happen. PCQLinux does not matter too much to me :)

Maybe tuxfan can write a short review for pcqlinux since he uses it for his day to day uses..

OP
hafees

hafees

In the zone
I bought the magazine today. and yes it is a 3 CD distro. i m going to install it on saturday or sunday.

if FC3 is older then which one is newer?? :(

i dont know about the KDE version used in PCQ 2005. but it should be 3.3.x (there is no major release since then as far as i know). So i dont think it is older.

They customized many things - courtesy the PC quest magazine

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Well the new stuff about fedora is fedora 4 thats about to hit us shortly here is there schedule.

14 Mar test1
30 March String change deadline (data provided)
11 April test2, string build freeze (builds completed)
27 April Translation deadline (data provided)
test3 devel freeze
9 May test3, translation build freeze (builds completed)
... Continual freeze, only critical bugs fixed until release
23 May Absolute devel freeze
6 June Release open, announced

*fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

OP
hafees

hafees

In the zone
Well!! I installed PCQ Linux 2005 today :)

The installation comes in 3 CDs. Their customization is good. They provide several types of installation (12 +). And it can be used for Grid Computing. All packages are arranged in a very neat format.
There r so many pgms for a developer including Eclipse & JAVA.

Pluses:
Increased booting speed than normal FC3
NTFS support (just mount the drive)
Mplayer (Plays all medias - i installed the skins came with Digit DVD and it looks like Power DVD)
Acrobat 5 is bundled
JAVA J2RE,J2ME,J2SE,Eclipse
WINE & other tools are included
i tried many windows applications & games. and all worked perfectly. But Word2003 crashed.
PHPBB is bundled (u can run a forum in ur intranet)
Linux Network Neighbour hood - Similar to Windows
There are also other packages included by the PCQ team.

Minus:
Flash is not supported. so i couldnt open Digit DVD in Firefox or anyother browser

in my opinion PCQ Linux 2005 is really better than the uncustomized FC3. (Atleast in my system).
the system is more faster. My Creative Live! works more perfectly than in FC3. NTFS is supported. with WINE i can try several windows applications. Mplayer can play almost all video & audio files. i checked DivX, DVD,Real media etc. all worked perfectly. So if i can find a good driver for my Creative internal modem then i dont need Windows (may be for playing games- agreed) .

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
So if i can find a good driver for my Creative internal modem then i dont need Windows (may be for playing games- agreed) .
That is so nice to hear.. keep it up..
PCQlinux team does a good job of customisation. The 2 regular queries of Fedora newcomers is NTFS support and MP3 support .. And both of these have been fixed.

tuxfan

Technomancer
:cry: :cry: I was eagerly waiting for the CDs, but the first two of them failed the media test and therefore I haven't installed it :( Have written to PCQ and I am waiting for a replacement :( :(

Ashootosh

Broken In
not a gud experience 4 me.......... check this out to know why>>>>>>>> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16240

oldmonk

Broken In
I installed pcqlinux2005 yesterday ,

It looks nice and has a good color scheme - customised by pcq, many of the references to fedora core 3 havve been removed and pcq linux put in its place.

It looks like the pcq team didnot spend too much time on rmeoving all the fedora references or felt it was a pointless exercise. So its more of a customised FC# rather than a totally new distro.

On a good point, most of the software they have added such as j2sdk, acrobat reader, video and audio tools are useful to have.

On a bad note most of the fedora core bugs are still there too. Such as udev interfering with the nvidia driver module so that you cant load nvidia after you restart post install(of the nvidia binary driver). well i would have expected atleast this to be fixed.

RHGB also doens't work properly once the nvdia driver is installed.

I always felt that it should take more than two months to put out a linux distro. These are not toys, a lot of work is involved and buggy releases only make linux in general look bad.

Well i guess thats when i ran short of my patience and switched back to slack 10.1. its running the way i want it to and thats a lot of work guys.

I guess you could make any distro work as you want it to, but then its easiest for me on slackware.

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
tuxfan said:
:cry: :cry: I was eagerly waiting for the CDs, but the first two of them failed the media test and therefore I haven't installed it :( Have written to PCQ and I am waiting for a replacement :( :(

The same happened with me.
@#$#%E%&E%&E&&&&*
Hoping PCQ will replace it soon.

OP
hafees

hafees

In the zone
how sad!!! :(
But i didnt care to check the media. i just installed.
"fortune favours the brave" :)

nixcraft

Journeyman
Haven’t tried it personally I don’t like the all FCx stuff, it is always in beta and they (Red Hat) used it as test device to release final RHEL I like ubuntu much it is really open and quite stable too… your personal choice may very for PC ;)

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
@tuxfan : which cd gave u the error in media test ??? i had the same trouble with an old pcqlin version . try copying the files from that cd to hdd , if that works , just go ahead with the install . i installed a pcqlin a while back even though media test failed . plus i install with the "everything" option checked , so there might not be a real problem with the cd

tuxfan

Technomancer
Well, I have already written to PCQ for replacement and usually, they do it promptly. Today I already got a reply from them promising to do something about it in 3 working days. Lets see.

And my HDD doesn't have space for 3 CDs :shock: Its full of lots of other stuff :D

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I would suggest that do not do a media check just install it works. The same thing happened to me with FC3 and i said install everything and had no problems. Give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom