DHCP issues with new switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
As per OP
1. He has a 8 port switch and a 8 port hub.
2. Hes having connectivity issues when he uses DHCP

As per my suggestions
1. Change the IP addressing to Static (Its not likes its going to make a huge difference)
2. As said above make sure you are using the right IP addresses, Workgroup Name, Subnet Mask, gateway etc.
3. Specify explicitly where to get the DHCP address from if you insist on using DHCP. (I'm not using WIndows but I believe there's an option for this.

Guys ..... first of all .. i am not able to understand the logic to use a hub and a switch parallelly. User is having 12 PCs (6+6) and AFAIK, we can use a single switch to get connected. Long time back, i had a same requirement to go live with 16 PCs and i was successful straightway.
If you have 12 machines and just an 8 port hub or switch then what exactly do you intend on doing ? You could of course return the switch and just get another one with more ports if you want.

OP
P

passion_unlimitedd

Journeyman
Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

I did it myself atlast.

1. I was using the 8 port Hub since last 7 years and working fine, so no point of replacing that with expensive 16 or 20 port switch. So I got a new 8 port switch (since Hub is not available these days here or I'd have bought a hub) to connect other PCs.

2. Switch was getting connection from the Hub. All the Pcs use DHCP. The PCs getting connection from Switch was not getting IP.

3. So the main problem was not getting the IP. The Hub was giving 10 Mbps and Switch 100 Mbps and the problem was somewhere there (though it should have worked)

4. My Hub was 10 base t and switch was 100.

5. That was the main problem and though the NICs were configured as auto it was not getting the desired IP.

6. So what I did is changed the NIC from Auto to 10 Full Duplex Mode and it solved my problem.

OP
P

passion_unlimitedd

Journeyman

I did it myself atlast.

1. I was using the 8 port Hub since last 7 years and working fine, so no point of replacing that with expensive 16 or 20 port switch. So I got a new 8 port switch (since Hub is not available these days here or I'd have bought a hub) to connect other PCs.

2. Switch was getting connection from the Hub. All the Pcs use DHCP. The PCs getting connection from Switch was not getting IP.

3. So the main problem was not getting the IP. The Hub was giving 10 Mbps and Switch 100 Mbps and the problem was somewhere there (though it should have worked)

5. That was the main problem and though the NICs were configured as auto it was not getting the desired IP.

6. So what I did is changed the NIC from Auto to 10 Full Duplex Mode and it solved my problem.

OP
P

passion_unlimitedd

Journeyman

I did it myself atlast.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

3. Specify explicitly where to get the DHCP address from if you insist on using DHCP. (I'm not using Windows but I believe there's an option for this.
3. You might want to check also if the switch is assigning IP addresses to that set of computers while the other network is being assigned IP addresses from the machine / router/ hub whatever. In other words check the settings for each IP address on your machine. Why not just configure it with Static IP in the first place ?
I'm guessing that somehow that somehow one group is getting IPs assigned from one computer while the other is getting it assigned from the Switch hence using overlapping ranges.
Had you taken the time to confirm that the IPs were being assigned correctly this problem would have been solved ages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom