DHCP issues with new switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.

One of my friends runs a cyber cafe. His network looks somewhat like this:

Code:
ADSL modem ----- Machine A ----- 10 Mbps Hub ----- Machines B through F
Machine A runs Windows XP, and handles the PPPoE dial-up part of the ADSL connection.
Machines B through F run Windows 2000/XP.

We wanted to add 6 more machines to the network. We grabbed ourselves a switch, and this is how our network now looks like:

Code:
ADSL modem ----- Machine A ----- 10 Mbps Hub ----- Machines B through F
[COLOR="White"][COLOR="Silver"]ADSL modem ----- Machine A[/COLOR][/COLOR] ----- 10/100 Mbps Switch ----- Machines G through K

Machines G through K run Windows XP.

The problem is that machines G through K consistently exhibit a "Limited or no connectivity" error. Hard-setting the IP address helps sometimes.

What do you guys think? Where did we go wrong?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Although I'm not quite sure of the problem Id rather just connect the Switch to the hub or remove the hub and use the switch if it has that many ports. I'm guessing that somehow that somehow one group is getting IPs assigned from one computer while the other is getting it assigned from the Switch hence using overlapping ranges. I might be wrong so you might want to post your configurations to confirm :) .

prateek007391

In the zone
In my cyber cafe I have the layout of the connections as shown in Attached Image

If you have less than 10 Systems u even don't need Hub they make network slow and clumsy

This kind of network layout worked for me the most it is called "Star Networking"

And let me know how many port does your Switch has and how many Systems are there in Cyber cafe

Last edited:
OP
P

passion_unlimitedd

Journeyman
Although I'm not quite sure of the problem Id rather just connect the Switch to the hub or remove the hub and use the switch if it has that many ports. I'm guessing that somehow that somehow one group is getting IPs assigned from one computer while the other is getting it assigned from the Switch hence using overlapping ranges. I might be wrong so you might want to post your configurations to confirm :) .

2 Lan cards attached in machine A
Hub is getting connection from 1st lan card and that network working fine
switch is getting connection from 2nd lan card and not working.

I have tried giving connection from Hub to switch ( with Straight / Cross cables) but no results.

Both the lan cards, cables (straight/cross), switch are checked and are ok.

OP
P

passion_unlimitedd

Journeyman
In my cyber cafe I have the following layout of the connection

ADSL Modem -------- Switch ----- 10 Mbps Hub ---Computer
|
Computer
If you have less than 10 Systems u even don't need Hub they make network slow and clumsy

This kind of network layout worked for me the most it is called "Star Networking"

And let me know how many port does your Switch has and how many Systems are there in Cyber cafe

I have a total of 12 computers.

6 computers are already running with the hub (8 port) from last 7 years without any problem. (Star Topology)

Now i have added another 6 computers with the switch (8 port) which is not getting the connection.

Last edited:

prateek007391

In the zone
I have a total of 12 computers.

6 computers are already running with the hub (8 port) from last 7 years without any problem. (Star Networking)

Now i have added another 6 computers with the switch (8 port) which is not getting the connection.

How many ports are there in ur Network Switch and Hub

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Basic checks.
1. Turn off the HUB
2. Does all machines connected to the switch work fine when the HUB and its respective group of computers is not functioning?
3. You might want to check also if the switch is assigning IP addresses to that set of computers while the other network is being assigned IP addresses from the machine / router/ hub whatever. In other words check the settings for each IP address on your machine. Why not just configure it with Static IP in the first place ?

OP
P

passion_unlimitedd

Journeyman
Basic checks.
1. Turn off the HUB
2. Does all machines connected to the switch work fine when the HUB and its respective group of computers is not functioning?
3. You might want to check also if the switch is assigning IP addresses to that set of computers while the other network is being assigned IP addresses from the machine / router/ hub whatever. In other words check the settings for each IP address on your machine. Why not just configure it with Static IP in the first place ?

I will try step 1 & 2.

I already tried step 3 and the switch is not assigning any ip to the pcs.

choudang

Padawan
Guys ..... first of all .. i am not able to understand the logic to use a hub and a switch parallelly. User is having 12 PCs (6+6) and AFAIK, we can use a single switch to get connected. Long time back, i had a same requirement to go live with 16 PCs and i was successful straightway.

I had one PC with two lan card A and B, LAN A was connected to ADLS and LAN B was connected to the switch. I have made a workgroup called "MEGA INFO" and made the ADSL connection shared. I was using simple 192.168.1.10 - 24 for my switch connected pcs, and LAN B was having 192.168.1.5.

for above prob... i would suggest to create a workgroup and try to join the switch connected pcs into that. again, if you turn off the HUB, switch won't get connected. you can try another thing here

ADSL ---- PC --- HUB 1 ------- HUB 2
ADSL ---- PC --- HUB 1 ------- SWITCH

AFAIK, we need to register the new machines into the existing workgroup / domain to use the DHCP, correct me if i wrong

satyamy

Alive Again...
My Suggestion
if you want to get rid of this prob without too much headache than

Sell your old switch using Bazaar Section of Digit forum

and buy a New 16 or 24port Switch

link
*cgi.ebay.in/iBall-Baton-16-Port-10...ms=66:1|65:1|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:25

or

*cgi.ebay.in/iBall-Baton-24-Port-10...ms=66:1|65:1|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:25

and simply connect

Eg :
*img118.imageshack.us/img118/6672/16portswitch.th.jpg*img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=16portswitch.jpg

Last edited:

satyamy

Alive Again...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Friend of My Who has 2 Offices one in 3rd floor and other in 1st floor shares a Same ADSL Connection (MTNL Triband) and all of his PC's are in same network (sharing files) has a system like this

*img118.imageshack.us/img118/6897/adslconnection2switch.th.jpg

choudang

Padawan
^^ it would be cross cable ..

@NucleusKore: i hope OP has posted the thread after trying the same, he used HUB instead of switch as per your method i suppose.

@satyamy: yes .. this is the most simple example if you need to establish connectivity, pl note that all 7 machines using static IP and in the same WG.

@OP: hope this will help..
*img13.imageshack.us/img13/9995/lanx.th.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom