Developers load Android onto Nokia device

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Developers to test the open-source OS on a real device

July 7, 2008 (IDG News Service)

Developers have created an easy way to load Android, Google Inc.'s mobile phone operating system that is still in the works, on Nokia Corp.'s N810
open-source handheld devices.

The development is of interest to people who are trying to build applications for Android rather than to general users. "So, from the point of view of someone who just wants to use his N800 and doesn't necessarily want to experiment for the sake of experimenting, what does running Android get me?" one person asked on the Internet Tablet Talk Web site that is sharing the technique for loading the software on the devices.

"Probably not much," a respondent wrote back. In the future, however, it means that anyone could decide to run Android on the devices and use applications developed for the operating system, the respondent said.
For developers, the discovery is exciting. "Testing on a physical device is way different than testing in an emulator," said Mike Rowehl, a mobile developer who has loaded Android on his N810.

full article:
*www.computerworld.com/action/artic...leBasic&articleId=9107239&source=rss_topic122

Pat

Beyond Smart
First on HTC Kaiser and now on Nokia N810!! Interesting!! I now hope someone makes it work on iphone :p

chandru.in

In the zone
I dont see why they would ? In any case, I wasnt talking officially..I meant community contributions which I guess apple has little control over!

Well if Apple can make distributing third-party apps without appstore illegal (I read in some iPhone review), they definitely can sue for doing something drastic like this.

sam_1710

Youngling
^^that was just a video/flash file running on a N95, But this is the real deal.. Android Running on N800!!
but i would like to see android running on my N95!! :)

Pat

Beyond Smart
N810 is more than a fone I guess :|

Its not a phone at all..It is a MID (Mobile Internet Device)

Well if Apple can make distributing third-party apps without appstore illegal (I read in some iPhone review), they definitely can sue for doing something drastic like this.

Not too sure about that one but I have myself installed and used various third-party apps using Installer long before AppStore was even announced. So it should be ok :)

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
N810 is more than a fone I guess :|
Its not a fone.....It is just an Internet Tablet...

It has got Maemo or Internet Tablet OS which is actually Linux based.....[Debian to be more precise]

People are also trying to port Ubuntu Mobile onto N810...

chandru.in

In the zone
Please clarify my confusion regarding legality of distributing iPhone apps without appstore (preferably an official Apple URL).

In fact I'm not very sure it is illegal but I read it is illegal, so I'm not very sure it is legal either. It will be great if someone can clarify it with proper proof.

Pat

Beyond Smart
It is probably illegal, but there is no official word from Apple AFAIK (Its obvious even if they had to, they would term it illegal).

Pathik

Google Bot
It wasn't illegal, perhaps, during the time of the first iPhone. Now that Apple has brought the Appstore, it may not want any competing product. But like the Devs give a sh!t about legality. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom