desktop wallpaper problem help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoRn

In the zone
hi u guys im bak wit sum irritating problem.i waana tell u that each time i select the desktop icon in the display properties window the window closes and a dialogue box popps up with the following contents'Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close.we r sorry for the inconvenience.' and then 'PLEASE TELL MICROSOFT ABOUT DIS PROBLEM' yall know da usual 'send error report'/'dont send'.wats wrong wit my pc.i cant choose wallpapers provided by windows please help me. :( :eek:

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
arey yaar just right-click on the picture & select the option of .... set as desktop background ..* abt tht .dll file error ..

note down the name .. download the file from some site providing these files .... replace this file ...check if it works ..

I'm not sure of the solution .. .. but atleast give this a try!
gud luck!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Run a DLL as an App is the name for the rundll32.exe file. Make sure you check your system for Trojans/viruses using either a known safe disk/online scan/Stinger. Also if you've enabled System Restore, turn it off and then restart and then turn it back on again. SysRestore has been known to cause a few rundll32 problems especially if your hard disk happens to be a Maxtor.

sridhar8310

Broken In
desktop wallpaper problem

Well dude what I think is that u have been either corrupted on that particular area by some program or something. I don't think downloading the dll since no dll file is specified. enoonmai's solution was good, give it a try,or else reintall the OS.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
You can use the repair function to repair XP. It takes as long as reinstalling but your data and settings will remain the same. Hope you know how to!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
OMG! :shock: Clean format the drive, reinstall and use "third party software" for changing the wallpaper? Man, where can I get some of what you're taking?
I thought a simple check to scan for viruses and if there was any, a simple removal tool would take care of the problem. But talk about going after an ant with a bazooka. :D

swatkat

Technomancer
first use System File Checker....do this..
Go to Start>Run and then type sfc /scannow (note that there is a SPACE after sfc), and the press Enter....u should have XP setup CD with u....

Resart Windows, after this check for ur problem, if it occurs, do this....

Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools> Event Viewer...
here, u look for any event with red X mark or yellow ! mark, double click on each of them and copy the message to NotePad and post that here...

Along with the Event log, download HijackThis and do a System Scan asd save the Log file....then Post the contents of Log file here....
*www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Better just download your corrupted dll file from microsoft or some sites that are providing!!!!!!
Just my way to think out

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
swatkat said:
Go to Start>Run and then type sfc /scannow

If you run SFC, you run the risk of screwing up many of the applications that you installed after the OS install, ESPECIALLY if you've installed security updates/service packs/hotfixes or pretty much anything that's changed the syste, files and then use the original installation disc to run SFC. It would run and promptly conclude that all critical system files have been bypassed and somehow WFP failed to work and will set out restoring them all, and instead of a simple desktop wallpaper problem, we'll have a mondo OS crash. :D

As for the Eventvwr logs, its pretty much clear what they would say. It would pretty much give a nondescript error as to how rundll32.exe crashed and maybe some useless memory dump. The best bet is to check the HijackThis logs as you said, or run Stinger and know for certain that no virus is causing this error.

neerajvohra said:
Better just download your corrupted dll file from microsoft or some sites that are providing!!!!!!

Not to be overly pointy, Einstein, but "Run a DLL as an App" is the name of the rundll32.EXE file that allows a DLL file to run as an executable. DLLs and EXEs are pretty much similar to each other, but I dont think I should go into them at this point. :D So, there is no DLL file that you can download to fix this error.

swatkat

Technomancer
enoonmai said:
As for the Eventvwr logs, its pretty much clear what they would say. It would pretty much give a nondescript error as to how rundll32.exe crashed and maybe some useless memory dump. The best bet is to check the HijackThis logs as you said, or run Stinger and know for certain that no virus is causing this error.

Eventviewer certainly gives some info...i am not looking for any rundll32.exe crash info, what i am looking for is, any other file/app crashing or doing some illegal operation, which is logged by Eventviewer....
read what i said before....
Resart Windows, after this check for ur problem, if it occurs, do this....
that is, After Restarting, he should check for his problem first, if it occurs, then he should heck Eventviewer, which may have some info.....apart from these there is alway HijackThis......

and for updated files/ fixes and sfc......hey.....sfc (or MS) is not that dumb as u think...
Windows has a feature called Windows File Protection, which is always enabled and checks for the integrity of the files, it also looks over Win Upadtes, HotFixes, BugFixes etc and updates itself according to the new or updated files...so when u perform sfc, it scans and checks the files, and replaces them with the latest-updates correct ones only....
this is proven.....along with the updated files backup, it also creates a backup of older file when u perform an update, in it's DLLCache folder.....

so, there will no probs with sfc /scannow..........

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
You're right, sfc does work with WFP and restores the cached signed copies of the files, even after you apply the updates, but to be honest, I usually find that in 7 out of 7 cases, sfc just throws the entire system out of whack. While the ultra-critical files of the nearly 2700 files will be replaced, since the SFCQuota is usually set to a limit of 400MB for the cache, more often than not, you will run into severe problems because while one file was restored, another wasn't and when it requests the installation media to rebuild the cache and restore the file, most people stick the non-slipstreamed original into the drive, compounding the screw-up. Correct me if I am wrong, but even according to Microsoft, sfc is a last resort option. It advises a rollback using System Restore instead.
I never said sfc or Microsoft was dumb, far from it, I merely said that in most cases its usually a case of misunderstanding on the user's part that ends up making the problem worse than it already is.

OP
KoRn

KoRn

In the zone
thnks guys

it sounds preety touch ill give it atry but if u have any simpler way 2 help please post it by 2day evenin kk.u dont have 2 argue amonst urselves on my crappy problem.
:?

swatkat

Technomancer
ok...try this,
1]Reinstall ur graphics drivers.
2]Download and run HijackThis, and Scan ur system and Save the Log file.....then post the content of Log file here....let's check out the bad things in ur computer....
*www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Alos, do check the Eventviewr if possible, as described in my previous post....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom