Desktop PC configuration advice - 45K budget

romit

Broken In
I came to know about you through some web forums and since I'm located in Mumbai and want to buy a desktop machine for home I thought I'd ask directly here.

I'm basically looking for PC for home, here are details on what I'm looking for:

- The purpose of the PC is mainly for media, storage, some local streaming. I already have a PS3 so I don't intend to use the PC for high-end gaming, though might try a few games out (maybe rpg) once in a while. I would basically like it for downloading, storage and to work on. I don't intend to overclock.

- My net overall budget is 45K.

- I'm planning to install a dual boot between win and ubuntu, with maybe 2 hard drives, one for system and the other for apps/storage. Am looking at a combined storage of around 750GB

- I would like around 21" monitor, sufficient RAM and a good chassis to cool (i don't use the AC often at home, so cooling is a priority). Standard keyboard, mouse, DVD writer. No printer/UPS needed.

- I'm planning to purchase this in the next 30 days, or so. I would need help in the assembly.

What I am basically looking for is a hardware configuration, and some pointers of a retail outlet in Mumbai I can go to to buy and get help in the assembly.

Thanks a lot, chaps :)
Romit

vaibhav

Right off the assembly line
That budget is an overkill for just streaming content but lets continue anyways. You can buy a 15-2500k for 12k and a intel z68 mobo for 8k. Couple it with a wd 500gb caviar blue wd hdd for and add another ADATA 500 Series 60 GB SSD with a sata III port for 6k each . A cooler master elite 311 plus cabinet ( it has a usb 3.0 port) 3k. A 500w psu should be enough for adding a graphic card by corsair builder series would be 3k. cooler master extra flow cost 500 rs for 1, add as many you want but I don't think you will need more than 2 fans. Buy ram of 2 modules, 4gb at 1333 each for 3k

total
cpu-i5 2500k 12k
mobo z68 8k
hdd and ssd 12k
psu and cabinet 6k
monitor- dont know but should be around 6k
total 47k :p

if you want a gpu thenreplace 15 2500k with i5 2400 -10k and mobo for an h67 based one- 5k and add 6750 1gb gddr5. :mrgreen:
Happy to help

OP
R

romit

Broken In
+vaibhav
Thanks a lot - that's quite comprehensive. I might be tempted to extend my budget to accomodate the GPU as suggested. I also need to throw in a DVD writer.

+whitestar_999
Thanks, and I did read that before I posted. You'd note that I've added ever bit of information that asked for in my note ;)

Any more ideas, and btw, any retailer tips in Mumbai?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i posted that thread link so you could get a general idea about the various pc components for your intended usage & maybe even form a configuration of your own & just ask for any modification if needed.you should know by now that since you do not intend to overclock getting a core i "k" edition processor & a z68 mobo is a waste of money.for your intended usage even a 30-35k config will suffice.

processor|core i5 2300|9000
motherboard|Intel DH67CLB3|5300
ram|1*4gb corsair 1333|1100
hard disk 1|seagate 250gb|3300
hard disk 2|seagate 500gb|3800
PSU|corsair cx430v2|2300
dvd writer|asus sata|1200
keyboard+mouse|logitech|500
monitor|benQ G2220HD|7200
cabinet|NZXT source 210 elite|2600

total:36300.you can save by getting a single 1TB hard disk for ~4700.i am suggesting intel config as it looks more suited for your usage but an amd config will also do the job & will be cheaper.

Top Bottom