Dell XPS M1530 weird system freeze issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

VD17

Journeyman
Hey guys I bought a Dell laptop which was delivered to me on 28th of June. Since the beginning I have been facing the following problems:

System freezes for a few seconds while unloading any disc from the slot load drive after pressing a button. The cursor doesn't move and any media file that is playing stutters. This happens from the moment i press the unload button till the disc is ejected. The same thing happens for a split second when closing/opening the lid of the laptop or when my bluetooth mouse initializes. I have tried updating the bios but i already have version A08 (which is the latest).

Also, my IR remote doesn't work at all.

Configuration is:

Dell XPS M1530
Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHZ
4GB RAM
250GB HDD
nVidia 8600GT 256MB GFX
BIOS version: A08
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

I have completely run out of ideas of what might possibly be wrong. Havent yet called Tech Suppport since i'm out of town and it'll take me loads to chat with those idiots on roaming.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
i have the same lappy which i received just a day after u did. i get the same problem when ejecting a disc but i have accepted it since the freeze/stutter lasts for a second at max.

OP
VD17

VD17

Journeyman
hmmm... apparently, this problem is with many XPS laptops (if not all) as per someone mentioning it on the notebookreview.com forums. the 1330 had a similiar issue and a bios update fixed it (this was discussed in 1530 review thread). Funny why Dell havent resolved this even after it being so common a thing.

By the way, they say i have a 24x7 XPS Phone support. How on earth do i access that? I called on the number the customer service rep mailed me and i get a message that it is past their bloody working hours!

gopz

In the zone
There is a special number for XPS support, which works 24x7, but you will have to wait in the queue for atleast 45 mins!

The number is 1-800-425-2066

power supply ,motherboard are the things to be checked.this aint do with OS ,I believe. :)

molex connector issue? check them by pressing properly(if that is the case!).

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
+1
there is a special team for XPS, but i thin there are only few employes workin there, as the wait is never ending, and some music is played so we wont get bored [we so we dont shout insults].

btw, bout the stutters, its only for a fraction of second. It also happens while adjusting brighness while gaming. I usually dont use its drive freuently, coz its in lan with my desktop and the 20X DVDRW is way faster thn this 8X cr@p. I use it only on the go.

btw u can mail them and five ur phone number, and they will call u.

me too hace some minor problems like thick dust accumulated over the speaker ducts and it cant be removed even with a brush. Whats the use of those ugly ducts over the speakers? a regular glossy grill w have been much better as in HP and acer

OP
VD17

VD17

Journeyman
lol...
Yeah, i finally found that XPS main line number... the "main line" words on the site and the "welcome to the XPS Gold Support" spoken by the IVR left me under the impression that I'll get through soon... I held on for 20 minutes before my balance exhausted since I'm on roaming. I mailed these guys about my problem and they miserably failed on their "next business day" response promise. Its been 2 weeks and still no response.
I'll probably mail the guy who was tracking my order and tell him to call me and connect me to the tech support. And i never knew even a brush wouldnt work for the grill.. :(

oh and yeah... anyone face problems with the pointer options thing resetting after each restart? i have a bluetooth mouse as well (which has a different setting through the set point application) but that works fine.. its the touchpad's pointer speed that snaps back to the default position after each system restart/resume.

Last edited:

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
WTH. If they treat XPS customers like these then I cant even imagine what they would to to customers with Inspiron/Vostro.

Anyways, if they have not responded till now, then I suggest you try pehredar@moneycontrol.com . They handle such disputes. They get in touch with the top shots at the company and resolve customer's issue. Give them a call or send an email asking for the last time to help you out. If they dont, then contact Pehredar guys.

Some people might think its too aggressive, but its your money and I am sure you paid a premium for this rig.

Last edited:

visor619

i dont live, i survive
after going thru dis thread, my view towards dell support has changed a lot.i ws under the impression dat dell provides one of the best services...
is it right to go thru all dis for the sake of a 8600GT?? isnt it better to opt for sumthing dat ur local vendors can provide lyk a sony/hp/compaq/lenovo?? if sumthing goes wrong,u atleast hav some1 to go to instead on sending mails and hoping that ur request would b heard...

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
thats the problem with dell nowadays...quality issues have not been solved as yet..no wonder they are overtaken by HP in the US and elsewhere.
xps m1330 has issues with the motherboard too with the laptop crashing and showing some weird pattern on screen.
these companies once they achieved the top spot..they become lazy and obese so the response become slower but now despite being knock off the spot they still havent try to cut down on the flabs
india is one market where companies can take advantage of.
consumer here is at the mercy of business people

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@visor619
but my experience with Dell is good. They has a technical team or some cervice centre at bout 80KM from my town. When i mailed bout some registration problem for the creative audigy s/w, the technitians from that centre began to call me frequently, and they didnt even allow me to switch on my phone.:D

And when everythin was ok, they said, i can call then for ny support and they ll come here for whichever supportb i wanted, be it h/w or s/w.

haha
im sure VD17 wud ve gotfar better service if the XPS team got connected to him lia phone just once. They ll call us back frequently after that d dun bother coming over to our place.

OP
VD17

VD17

Journeyman
Well... The thing with me is that I have not been able to call the customer care yet. The day after I got my laptop, I left for Varanasi (my home town). I dont have a landline at my place and calling from my cell will rip me off hence I couldn't wait long enough to talk to these guys. I agree that the waiting time is pathetically high.

One thing i'm very very clear about: I got a great deal for the 58K I invested. Especially the accessories (like the backpack, BT mouse, BT headset, EP 630 are cool). And the laptop, barring that little stutter problem, the remote and the not-absolutely-amazing sound quality, is the best that I have seen till now. At the time I got mine, the HP equivalent was DV 6767 which was not as impressive as the XPS (but I envy it's sound quality).
Anyway, now that the prices are exorbitantly high, it is more or less impractical to go for the XPS. The studio line up seems a lot better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom