Dell XPS 15 vs Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anurup

Broken In
Guyz...between the two (Dell xps 15 and the new insoiron 15r se) with almost the same specs...ie. i7 processor, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD..and 2gb graphics card..which one will u guyz suggest???
I hv heard that there is some over heating problems with the xps 15 is this true??? and is the same problem there in the inspiron 15r se??
there is only a few xps 15 left in the dell showroom in my locality...so uyz..culd u pls reply ASAP..will be gr8ly appreciated.

aroraanant

Explorer
XPS is much better than dell inspiron in terms of everthing, but XPS 15 has got 2nd gen processors where as Inspirons have got 3rd gen processors.

AinicR

Right off the assembly line
Hello

If you are comparing high end configuration of both Dell XPS 15 and Dell Inspiron 15R SE, I'd suggest you to buy Dell Inspiron 15R SE. I've Dell XPS 15 L502X with the basic specification as - i72670Qm, Nvidia GT540m, FHD(1920*1080), 720GB HDD, 6GB RAM, 9cell battery etc. On similar lines, configuring Inspiron 15R SE gives - i73612QM, AMD Radeon HD 7730M, FHD, 8GB RAM etc...

There is not a huge difference between processor
AMD Radeon HD 7730 is lot better than Nvidia GT 540M
I'm not sure how Skullcandy speakers are as compared to JBL. But there is no subwoofer in Inspiron like there is in JBL
There is a VGA port, 4 3.0 USB ports and no eSATA-USB combo in Inspiron 15R SE and there is 2 USB 2.0, SP/DIP audio out, mDP port in Dell XPS 15 L502X (with HDMI, audio in, audio out, optical drive, ethernet ports common in both)
Inspiron 15R SE is near-ultrabook design
Support features for the Inspiron 15R SE are close to XPS 15

Hope that helps

shashankm

I reign hell..
Dude inspiron is nowhere in the league of XPS! Even newer XPS 'z' has got 3G proccies...its the ultrabook version. go for it with eyes closed! Well with an i7 a bit of overheating is expected but not much. And its a beast in performance, even though I've got the i5 version, I can feel it everyday (given a clean factory uninstall of the stock OS and reinstallation of an ahem Win 7 Ultimate Black edition!

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
Thanx for ur replies...

I hv heard that the xps 15 has over heating problems....is this true???
Plus i wuld like to know how much difference is there in the performance of the 2nd gen i7 and the 3rd gen i7 processor?
And is the amd 7730 is a lot better than the nvidia 540?

Thanx for ur replies...

I hv heard that the xps 15 has over heating problems....is this true???
Plus i wuld like to know how much difference is there in the performance of the 2nd gen i7 and the 3rd gen i7 processor?
And is the amd 7730 is a lot better than the nvidia 540?

aroraanant

Explorer
Not much heating issues are there in XPS, many of my friends are using XPS so it won't bother you.
3rd grn i7 is much better than 2nd i7.
Also 7730 is better than 540, now if you want to check by how much then check out notebookcheck

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
cas u pls give me the link of the comparison b/w inspiron 15r se and the xps 15 :)
Is the XPS 15 a good laptop to have?

rider

as Kratos
I think 2nd gen XPS 15 is discontinued internationally, it was a disaster by dell with many issues like overheating of processor that can reach to 98*C.
First tell your budget and requirements then I'll help you to suggest the best model.

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
In Dell Stores in Kolkata the xps 15 model is still available...so im trying to figure out if i should go for the xps or the inspiron 15r se...
My budget is 60-65k max...
I am going to study Computer Science Engineering...so will be doing programming on the laptop...will be using softwares like Blue J, Eclipse/Visual Studio, Oracle,MATLAB,QUIMP, Photoshop...
Will also be doing some gaming like FIFA 13 , NFS MW2, CS-Source...
Will also be watching movies (1080p)..
I am actually looking for a laptop which will run with out problems for atleast 4-5 years...
And also m look for a brand which provides good after sales service...
P.S. - Is the xps 15 model really that bad....??? i mean is it worth going for or should wait for the inspiron 15r se....u see ...the backlit option is not available yet..guess will hv to wait for a month or so for it ..but the the xps 15 has the backlit option available.

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
lol, why you are buying on XPS 15 it is waste of money, dude :| Buy some new 3rd core-i7 laptop in your budget.

XPS is much better than dell inspiron in terms of everthing, but XPS 15 has got 2nd gen processors where as Inspirons have got 3rd gen processors.

what are saying, man :lol:

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God

What he said is correct. the build quality of XPS is much better than inspiron series laptops. and even the specs of machines in XPS lineup used to be better than inspirons. but this year, dell has moved the things to different leagues. the inspiron special editions have good specs. but the build quality of XPS is definitely better than inspirons. if you are talking about the old xps l502x i'm not sure but the new xps l521x has serious design issues. if you wanna spend money on the premium chassis and gorgeous display of xps(the 1080p one) then you can but you may have to compromise on some performance. i would recommend the new inspiron se out of the two you asked.

rider

as Kratos
What he said is correct. the build quality of XPS is much better than inspiron series laptops. and even the specs of machines in XPS lineup used to be better than inspirons. but this year, dell has moved the things to different leagues. the inspiron special editions have good specs. but the build quality of XPS is definitely better than inspirons. if you are talking about the old xps l502x i'm not sure but the new xps l521x has serious design issues. if you wanna spend money on the premium chassis and gorgeous display of xps(the 1080p one) then you can but you may have to compromise on some performance. i would recommend the new inspiron se out of the two you asked.

read the sentence again he said in in terms of everything. Dell XPS l501x and l502x both were disasters with specs and performance, the main problem was heating issue. And XPS l521x is not in Indian market yet, from US price it seems they highly overpriced. And new inspiron special editions are not that bad in terms of build quality.

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
About the 2nd gen and 3rd gen processors...is there a lot of difference b/w the two processors???
The XPS 15 l1502x...has pretty decent specs...so whats the cons of this system???
btw..can any1 of u pls tell me if the backlit option in the Inspiron 15r SE is available from the dell stores or is it only available on making an online purchase of the system??

rider

as Kratos
3rd gen is simply better than 2nd gen.
Inspiron special editions are much much much better in terms of performance and temperatures. I see many people get even 98*C in games in few minutes with XPS 15 l1502x and in inspiron review they not even reach 80*C. Are you kidding me XPS 15 l1502x has decent specs. :lol: HD 7730 is more than 50% better than GT 540M of XPS.
Yes, the inspirons have backlit keyboard option available in dell india website check it.

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
I know its available on the onlie store...but i want to know..if the dell stores are providing it or not...i went to the dell store in Kolkata..and they said that the backlit option is not available... :(
Also culd u compare the xps 15z and the inspiron 15r se?

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
its bcos my frndz say that dell and apple make the best products...and also hv the best after sales services...and since the apple mac book pro is outsize my budget...hence im preferring dell... and if u call this to be a dell fanboy ..then i hv no probs in being called that...cos whats the prob in being a fan of a company that makes good products..

rider

as Kratos
its bcos my frndz say that dell and apple make the best products...and also hv the best after sales services...and since the apple mac book pro is outsize my budget...hence im preferring dell... and if u call this to be a dell fanboy ..then i hv no probs in being called that...cos whats the prob in being a fan of a company that makes good products..

LOL, he is wrong dell is poor nowadays they are selling with poor hardware and quality, I see many users who bought XPS 15 and faced bundles of issues.

If you care about quality and durability better to opt for hp probook or lenovo thinkpads.

Last edited:

aroraanant

Explorer
Guys I said that because XPS has got much better build quality and better audio too, performance of the laptop depend on the specs it has like CPU, GPU, RAM etc, previously the specs of XPS were better than inspirons, but recently dell has come up with new range of Inspirons but still the build quality of inspirons is no where in comparison to the XPS, if the difference of CPU and GPU doesn't matter OP then obviously he should go for XPS but if look at the specs then obviously inspiron is the winner.
And couple of friends have XPS and I have an old inspiron and have compared 3-4 models of inspirons(though not the latest one) with XPS and trust me XPS have much less heating issues when compared to Inspirons(though I m not talking about the latest one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom