Dell Sim Card Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

INS-ANI

In the zone
I want to know about the SIM card slot below my computer, its right where the battery is placed.
Please provide me info regarding what it is for an how can i use it.

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
Through it u can surf the internet, but it would only work if u have 3G enabled SIM, probably not in India, i have dell too and tried all types of SIM cards but no avail, waiting for 3G !!!

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
^ It wouldn't happen until you have 3G enabled, until it wouldn't detect the sim cards based on our current 2G SIM's

gopz

In the zone
Its not because of 3G. Its because you dont have a WWAN Card in the laptop. Google WWAN and you wull learn more.

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
From Wikipedia:
A WWAN differs from a WLAN (wireless LAN) because it uses cellular network technologies such as WIMAX (though it's better applicated into WMAN Networks), UMTS, GPRS, CDMA2000, GSM, CDPD, Mobitex, HSDPA or 3G to transfer data. It can use also LMDS and Wi-Fi to connect to the Internet. These cellular technologies are offered regionally, nationwide, or even globally and are provided by a wireless service provider for a monthly usage fee.[1]WWAN connectivity work in the following way, it allows a user with a laptop and a WWAN card to surf the Internet, check email, or connect to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) from anywhere within the regional boundaries of cellular service. Various computers now have integrated WWAN capabilities (Such as HSDPA in Centrino). This means that the system has a cellular radio (GSM/CDMA) built in, which allows the user to send and receive data. There are two basic means that a mobile network may use to transfer data:

* Packet-switched Data Networks (GPRS/CDPD)
* Circuit-switched dial-up connections

Since radio communications systems do not provide a physically secure connection path, WWANs typically incorporate encryption and authentication methods to make them more secure. Unfortunately some of the early GSM encryption is flawed and security experts have issued warnings that cellular communication, including WWLAN's are no longer secure.[2] UMTS(3G) encryption was developed later and has yet to be broken.

I told it in "Short-cut" :smile: , i mean't this technology is currently unavailable in India and therefore we don't have any support for this.

gopz

In the zone
From Wikipedia:

I told it in "Short-cut" :smile: , i mean't this technology is currently unavailable in India and therefore we don't have any support for this.

Well we can try to get a WWAN Card and try to use it with a TATA OR RELIANCE SIM card. Might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom